All adsl soon to be discontinued?

akescpt

Honorary Master
There are no LTE package that can match VDSL.

So this sucks.

Also on VDSL I share my data portion with friends and family, can't do that with LTE.
i have that vox special so this just pisses me off all round...

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Openserve is probably only moving people where copper has been stolen and/or has Fixed LTE and Fibre coverage. They won't switch just switch adsl off one morning. ISPs are misleading the public with their reckless statements that should be challenged because I HATE it when companies misleads the public.

They spend so much money switching people over to new ISAM units which is happening on a weekly basis just to switch it off next morning. Not going to happen don't stress ignore Webafrica.
You give Telkom too much credit

cavedog

Honorary Master
You give Telkom too much credit
Nah it's common sense...

They have just short of 1 million active ADSL/VDSL lines. Just killing it would mean a substantial financial loss. I'm no business man but if I had a business with close to 1 million people on a legacy product I will not kill it. It would mean financial ruin for my company.

Stopping support for it when theft occurs yes but not killing a working system intentionally unless I know that they will migrate to another service on MY network.

Telkom won't kill ADSL/VDSL where they have no fibre or LTE. That means they are basically handing WISP and other mobile networks subscribers. If you are on ADSL with no VDSL option and you have LTE or Fire coverage yeah maybe they will start to push you to those services.

If you have VDSL with no Openserve fibre or Telkom LTE then you should be safe. Maybe reduced SLA times but they won't kill it.

I think people are over reacting based these false reports from ISPs saying ALL ADSL/VDSL is getting discontinued.

Like just last week there was like 13 switch overs to new MSAN units. That must have cost them a lot of money. Not really something they would do if they plan to kill it anytime soon.

mrlgm007

Family of mine adsl went down on Tuesday it only a 4mb adsl but they stole the cable which is a 2 pair just for them telkom said they are not replacing it and the tech said he will tell them to telkom call center to contact them so another service can be given and that was the end.

I saw another tech working down the road and spoke to him and said if I get some wire he would connect it back and says telkom is making a huge mistake with not replacing cables he had advised if a big pair of cable is stolen we will then be cut off and nothing can be done.

Really shocked about this but what can we do just thought I would share this as a wake up on what is happening.

Rising_Phoenix

Called Telkom today to request a pot-paid telephone line to be installed which I would then convert to an ADSL. My area does not have fibre coverage, but it does have LTE. There are no incidents of cable theft in my area too. The Telkom service consultant never mentioned that they are discontinuing the ADSL service in my area, and processed my application. He said Telkom would call me within 7-14 working days to arrange installation.

The reason I applied for this service was to ensure that I have it and hopefully their termination of ADSL takes a while to implement, so I hopefully I can enjoy it for a considerable period of time. I really do not think Telkom would discontinue ADSL abruptly especially in areas where cable theft is minimal or does not exist, as well as where there is no fibre. LTE is financially beyond the reach of many too e.g. schools, clinics, government departments. Even if they were to, it would take them a while to terminate it (well that's my thinking). Otherwise we will see.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Called Telkom today to request a pot-paid telephone line to be installed which I would then convert to an ADSL. My area does not have fibre coverage, but it does have LTE. There are no incidents of cable theft in my area too. The Telkom service consultant never mentioned that they are discontinuing the ADSL service in my area, and processed my application. He said Telkom would call me within 7-14 working days to arrange installation.

The reason I applied for this service was to ensure that I have it and hopefully their termination of ADSL takes a while to implement, so I hopefully I can enjoy it for a considerable period of time. I really do not think Telkom would discontinue ADSL abruptly especially in areas where cable theft is minimal or does not exist, as well as where there is no fibre. LTE is financially beyond the reach of many too e.g. schools, clinics, government departments. Even if they were to, it would take them a while to terminate it (well that's my thinking). Otherwise we will see.
Yeah the press has cause panic where there really shouldn't be any.

This is not a new thing. Telkom now Openserve has been discontinuing adsl for years now due to extensive copper theft. It's not like you are going to wake up one morning and poof adsl has been switched off. If that happens it's an outage or cable theft. If there is a switch off going to happen then you would have been informed in advanced because you have an active service.

erwink

I have been switched from ADSL to LTE on the the same 4mb line package and the LTE speeds aren't always great in my area. I wonder if I wil be switched to fibre when it becomes available...

opelboy

Well I also thought that Telkom won't kill ADSL overnight, but it looks like that's what they're planning to do, possibly in a phased approach area-by-area, but it's happening sooner than we think. I received an email from them today outlining their fibre offerings, and this was at the bottom of the email :

Please be advised that should you not wish to move onto Fibre, we will unfortunately be discontinuing existing copper services in your area within the next 30 days. You will receive a call from Telkom within the next couple of days to confirm the cancellation date of your services.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Well I also thought that Telkom won't kill ADSL overnight, but it looks like that's what they're planning to do, possibly in a phased approach area-by-area, but it's happening sooner than we think. I received an email from them today outlining their fibre offerings, and this was at the bottom of the email :

Please be advised that should you not wish to move onto Fibre, we will unfortunately be discontinuing existing copper services in your area within the next 30 days. You will receive a call from Telkom within the next couple of days to confirm the cancellation date of your services.
Yes because you have fibre coverage. If you had no fibre coverage or LTE you would not have gotten that email. Just make the switch over to fibre and keep your current package as is. You will be saving. You will still have your landline number with FREE rental. Yes no landline rental on fibre but still your same number.

Why would you not make the switch?

opelboy

Why would you not make the switch?
Because I'm renting my current property and my landlord is elderly and shall we say technologically challenged. He thinks fibre installation will either cost him or future tenants money. So I guess I have no option but to go for expensive LTE. Just shows that fibre is not a "one shoe fits all" solution...

cavedog

Honorary Master
Because I'm renting my current property and my landlord is elderly and shall we say technologically challenged. He thinks fibre installation will either cost him or future tenants money. So I guess I have no option but to go for expensive LTE. Just shows that fibre is not a "one shoe fits all" solution...
Don't blame the technology for a person with backwards thinking.

You use a ADSL line now which is exactly the same thing you will get with fibre but just better. No more line rental but still keep your number IF you want too. Free installation. No modifications to the property. Month to month no contracts so not sure how you can blame Telkom for what your elderly landlord is saying.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
They took my dadd's factory ADSL out and replaced it with a bunch of 3g capable phones (not VOIP, also every bloody phone is a wifi hotspot) and an LTE router. They did the install by giving him a B525 that was at stock standard settings and plugging it in right next to a wifi printer.

Took me 4 hours to fix the mess they left behind and he does not even use the useless bloody sim enabled desktop phones.

opelboy

Don't blame the technology for a person with backwards thinking.

You use a ADSL line now which is exactly the same thing you will get with fibre but just better. No more line rental but still keep your number IF you want too. Free installation. No modifications to the property. Month to month no contracts so not sure how you can blame Telkom for what your elderly landlord is saying.
Hmm I'm not blaming anyone for anything, not sure how you read into that. And I'm well aware of how fibre works, the issue is that my landlord does not, and so will not allow me to have it installed. So it's simply not an option for me right now.