All Nationwide Flights are grounded!

neio

Banned
Sucks for Nationwide and their passengers, hope they have lots of cash to take the fiscal hit.

Wynsam

Expert Member
So glad i am not on one of the flights. Airports must be chaos this morning.

Skeptik

Banned
Press statement by Nationwide :

30 November 2007

Dear Valued Customer :

Early this morning we determined that the South African Civil Aviation Authority (SA C.A.A.) has suspended our Aviation Maintenance Organization (AMO) license.

We apologize profusely for any inconvenience or confusion that has been caused.

With immediate effect, all flights have been suspended until further notice. We have approached the C.A.A. for further details and guidance in respect of any actions they would like us to implement that would enable them to reinstate the AMO’s license at which point normal operations will resume.
Safety is our number one priority and we will not compromise the safety of our customers or crew.

We do not anticipate a prolonged disruption of air service due to the close cooperation that exists between the Civil Aviation Authority and Nationwide Airlines.

Once again we apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. We thank you in advance for your cooperation at this difficult time.
Nationwide ticket – holders will be given an opportunity to either re-book or have their tickets refunded. More detailed information will be available from airline customer service personal at airports served by Nationwide Airlines and we will keep you updated on the website.

Sincerely,

JOHANNESBURG Nov 30 Sapa

NATIONWIDE AIRCRAFT GROUNDED INDEFINITELY
Nationwide's aircraft will remain grounded until the airline has fixed deficiencies within its maintenance section, the SA Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) said on Friday.

The CAA suspended approval for the airline's aircraft maintenance organisation from midnight on Thursday, said CAA chief executive officer Zakes Myeza. It had also suspended the certificates of airworthiness of Nationwide's fleet of 16 aircraft - twelve 737 - 200s, five 727s andone 767. If the airline did not comply, its licence would be revoked altogether. "It was unavoidable," said Myeza.

He said the suspension arose from the airline's failure to comply with an airworthiness directorate issued in September and subsequent audits of its compliance. "We cannot afford to be reckless on this because we are dealing with human lives," said CAA executive legal manager Ntheri Magoai. This was not the first time the CAA has grounded an airline, said CAA aircraft safety executive manager Obert Chakarisa.

It had already grounded the airline maintenance organisations of the smaller airlines Nel Air and Executive Aerospace. It would be suspending two more in the next week, he said but would not name them.

They were also smaller airlines. Nationwide was notified by fax late on Thursday night that the CAA had revoked its aviation maintenance organisation licence, said the airline's sales and marketing manager Charmaine Thome.

Ricard

Expert Member
**** ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! ****

and their help-less desk say "Sorry for Joo!, I cant help you!" just fusking fantastic. International fight at 9pm tonight and its "haaaaaahaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaa - I guess you wont be in the UK tomorrow then"

lucifir

Expert Member
I wonder if its a conspiracy to get more ppl on SAA flights??? god knows SAA needs the cash :)

vespax

Expert Member
So glad I am booked on 1time for christmas.

[fingers crossed they keep flying]

dlk001

Executive Member
I wonder if its a conspiracy to get more ppl on SAA flights??? god knows SAA needs the cash :)
I think SAA would only benefit from killing the competition and raising the prices. I doubt there is a conspiracy though since this is all a reaction from a Nationwide incident.

Skeptik

Banned
I think SAA would only benefit from killing the competition and raising the prices. I doubt there is a conspiracy though since this is all a reaction from a Nationwide incident.
The accident didn't help, but this problem stems from an audit of their maintenance workshop in September. Apparently they failed and had to implement an action plan. The CAA says when they checked up on them after the engine fell off, they hadn't implemented some aspects of the plan yet.

Some say the CAA has been shaken up by their dodgy FAA & ICAO audit in July and are now stomping around looking for problems. i.e. finally doing their jobs

I suspect SAA is not at the top of their inspection list.

Cara

Expert Member
Wonder if Nationwide will be able to salvage their reputation after this debacle? I certainly won't touch them now! :D

CathJ

Expert Member
Wonder if Nationwide will be able to salvage their reputation after this debacle? I certainly won't touch them now! :D
I'm booked with them in April :(

Should give them plenty of time to get everything fixed, though; then I'll have a nice new shiny freshly serviced and maintained plane to fly in :D

neio

Banned
Seems they've been using pirate parts in their planes.
Out of Africa indeed.