All online shopping now allowed in South Africa

Swa

Honorary Master
Now for all the other things that don't make sense. Can only deliver hot food to homes. But Wednesday I saw restaurants putting out cold burgers for takeaway.

konfab

Honorary Master
its a nice turnaround... did somebody go slap some sense into Mr Patel?
They were pushed into a corner with incoming lawsuits:

If it had reached the court, the government would have had to provide the reasons why they banned it in the first place. Which would collapse the entire house of cards as everyone knows that these stupid communists didn't ban it because of the covid risk.
It is a tactical retreat to preserve the rest of their regulations.

Thor

Honorary Master
I wonder how this will shape the future, will new giants come from this will old giants fall out?

I mean if e-commerce in SA cannot build a business now then it will never be able to do so since the government is now given takealot a massive advantage over its brick and mortar competitors.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
Shoutout to the EFF who... where the heck are they even? Probably somewhere trying to figure out how to spell "welcome" for their upcoming flippity flop press release.

Hamster

Resident Rodent
I mean if e-commerce in SA cannot build a business now then it will never be able to do so since the government is now given takealot a massive advantage over its brick and mortar competitors.

I have found Patel's account :cautious:

SilverCode

Street vendors and Spaza shops are going to livid about the unfair competition!

blah99

Expert Member
Finally. But yeah our government never showed any common sense.

Jings

Treasure Maker
Hope they allow pipes for smoking our sage and lengana.

konfab

Honorary Master
Disagree completely.

All they need to do is conduct their business via Whatsapp and they can sell anything they want.

*SynergyX*

Expert Member
I wonder how this will shape the future, will new giants come from this will old giants fall out?

provided they can keep the supply chain going....if they run out they run out and thats it

probably a long way from it but still...

Hamster

Resident Rodent

**** 'em. Those buying online are hardly the types that buy from Spaza shops anyway. They can take their feels and put it where they've put their vote.

Hamster

Resident Rodent

Considering the convenience of parking my car in front of Woolies between 10:00 and 11:00 and my groceries I bought online being loaded in my boot with no car guard to fight with.

Checkers just delivered some cooldrinks and meat for a braai the other day.

The butcher takes about 2 days to deliver an order.

Takealot consistently rocks up 2 days after I placed my order. Returns take about 3 days to process.

Furniture just magically show up at our door after waiting a week or so of ordering.

Brick and mortar stores are truly screwed in the metros.

pouroverguy

**** 'em. Those buying online are hardly the types that buy from Spaza shops anyway. They can take their feels and put it where they've put their vote.

I buy online all the time, but the Spaza shop a few houses from me my first point of call when I need milk etc

pouroverguy

Considering the convenience of parking my car in front of Woolies between 10:00 and 11:00 and my groceries I bought online being loaded in my boot with no car guard to fight with.

Checkers just delivered some cooldrinks and meat for a braai the other day.

The butcher takes about 2 days to deliver an order.

Takealot consistently rocks up 2 days after I placed my order. Returns take about 3 days to process.

Furniture just magically show up at our door after waiting a week or so of ordering.

Brick and mortar stores are truly screwed in the metros.

Would agree totally, but today Takealot was supposed to deliver and when I eventually checked the tracking late in this afternoon after nothing had come, I got the message that my parcel had been lost in transit. No idea when I'll get it now.

airborne

Honorary Master
Courier guy shipped anything I gave them even in level 5 lol
They were doing random inspections of courier vans and confiscating non essential goods, still pretty low risk unless you sent something that was obviously non essential without needing to open the parcel.

Jade @ Absolute Hosting

Absolute Hosting Representative
Company Rep
  • Retailers must give prominence to those goods which are manufactured in the Republic of South Africa.