All schools are closing; by end July

McT

The Humble Scot!
For context, there is the linky to some sort of substance to my ire:

During the weekend, we got news that Roedean is closing by the end of the month until September sometime. From another source, we were told that unions are pushing hard for this and it looks inevitable.

All schools. Private and public.

And no online or remote education whatsoever :mad:

Why am I posting this? I suppose it is in pure unbridled frustration and anger. I work at home. It is difficult enough as it is to motivate my offspring, who want to be at school and want education, to maintain focus. They have had remote and/or online education. Now, for who knows how long this time, they must wait out what probably feels like the longest time.

Because the government ANC cocked everything up in the past 25 years that their despicable hands have touched, today all children across the country must suffer their consequences. They have not never prioritised the things that are most important to the country (education, housing, employment).

Today these chickens are flocking home to roost.

Viva!

netstrider

Expert Member
Must be some money in online teaching.

Just throwing the idea out there for anyone that can create a platform, specific to SA, for teachers to host lectures from home for children to see.

Probably wouldn't be hard to get financial or even government backing.

Carol35

Expert Member
To be honest, I’m completely ok with the school year begin canned, this year has been a waste of time and my daughter grade 11 feels she is just going to be cheating if she passes as she has hardly learned anything this year - how will she pass or do well in grade 12 when half the curriculum has been slashed and how will this count when she goes to tertiary education. It’s a complete mess.

That being said, it’s easy for me to say as she is older...I feel for parents of younger children who have to work/ can’t afford to have their kids at home all day staring at the walls.

what a shlt show.

bwana

MyBroadband
Not ok with the school year being canned or postponed without the possibility of online classes.

I pay a fair amount of money each month just so my kids can have any advantage possible and if they can complete the year because of that then they should be allowed to do so. Life isn't fair, so what.

Azg

Expert Member
The current info from my kids' school is closing from 7 to 17th August for school holidays. Will wait for confirmation from the minister of any changes to those dates.

Ninja'd

A Djinn
Does life continue as normal for home schooled kids and they get to progress to following grade next year? They're not restricted by what government dictates, right?

@LazyLion and others who have gone the home school route.

bwana

MyBroadband
The current info from my kids' school is closing from 7 to 17th August for school holidays. Will wait for confirmation from the minister of any changes to those dates.
Mine are break from Friday until the 11th.

Azg

Expert Member
Mine are break from Friday until the 11th.
True 11th is the current official date. But a cluster of schools claim they are ahead and have applied for the extra 3 days to give the students and teachers a proper school break.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
AFAIK a few home schooling options are available.

I know of children that recently started home schooling (not online) due to this mess of guavament.

bwana

MyBroadband
True 11th is the current official date. But a cluster of schools claim they are ahead and have applied for the extra 3 days to give the students and teachers a proper school break.
Last I checked term 2 officially ends on the 7th and term 3 starts on the 12th. Have they changed it again?

My kids really haven't missed all that much school time so two weeks + a weekend off seems adequate, it's not like we can go away this year.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
The choice must be given. There are one too many politicians, and one with an anti-DA stance, who are proactively campaigning to close schools. Maimane has garnered much support. Anti DA positions seem to be a pillar.

The SAHRC which was initially opposed is actually now supporting that schools must remain open.

Just to add, those unions going to schools. Zero schits gave about social distancing. They rile everyone up to protest. It is easy to see where education is on priority.

BTW, the only reason they want entire closure is because they are punting equality. Apparently it is unequal to educate some and not others. There are many options to enable schooling. Set up civic centres, engage in online schooling etc. Give the people their democratical choice.

All I am seeing is people taking choice away. Nitpicking on our human rights. Ignoring basic education. This is why I don't respect some politicians anymore.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
This ruling, however, may impact those who want to close schools,

this program depends on schools continuity.

bwana

MyBroadband
This ruling, however, may impact those who want to close schools,

this program depends on schools continuity.
They'll only be legally required to feed the body, not the mind.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Does life continue as normal for home schooled kids and they get to progress to following grade next year? They're not restricted by what government dictates, right?

@LazyLion and others who have gone the home school route.
Yes, private schools and programs still need to abide by the national school's acts.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
They'll only be legally required to feed the body, not the mind.
I don't believe the government has the resources to readvise the program, they require the schools. Facilities are key here.

Access remains, education must also remain.

Then again, the government's argument was that it isn't their responsibility :rolleyes:

chrisc

Executive Member
Been doing maths via ZOOM for 3 months. Four 90 min lessons a week
The kids that do their homework and solve their examples did well
The problem are the parents to promise to pay and then give excuses.
I did not think that R200 a month was excessive and have had success with over 80% of the kids
Several parents take the attitude that if there are more than 10 participants in a session it’s a waste of time. But they still want to re-join the following week but won’t pay
One said it was “unfair” to request her son to put his phone away when he was attending a lesson. He was playing music and distracting the other learners
I ceased the lessons at the end of June