All schools are closing; by end July

koeks525

Expert Member
I honestly don't know what would be best in this situation. One could easily make remote learning the norm till things subside, but, this puts students from disadvantaged homes at a disadvantage (the rural/township student doesnt have a laptop or a 100Mbps fibre connection). Even if a plan was made to assist less fortunate students, there is no garuantee the assistance will be used (i.e.: an irresponsible parent will take the donated laptop and modem and sell them off so they can buy less important items... or the student sells them off). Really unprecedented times we are in; would love to see what the state's final verdict is on the matter.

koeks525

Expert Member
Been doing maths via ZOOM for 3 months. Four 90 min lessons a week
The kids that do their homework and solve their examples did well
The problem are the parents to promise to pay and then give excuses.
I did not think that R200 a month was excessive and have had success with over 80% of the kids
Several parents take the attitude that if there are more than 10 participants in a session it’s a waste of time. But they still want to re-join the following week but won’t pay
One said it was “unfair” to request her son to put his phone away when he was attending a lesson. He was playing music and distracting the other learners
I ceased the lessons at the end of June
How did you write mathematical expressions without the traditional whiteboard/chalkboard? Do you have program of some sort, and a touch screen to do this?

Any amount of money that goes to a child's development is not excessive... R200 is not a lot. I wish the world had more responsible and supportive parents. Having good parents goes a long way! I remember struggling with matric mathematics; my parents paid so I could attend extra math classes and it really made a big difference. I wished I had gone to extra classes in grade 11.

ponder

Honorary Master
How did you write mathematical expressions without the traditional whiteboard/chalkboard? Do you have program of some sort, and a touch screen to do this?
I've seen software use for this in youtube tuts.

binkybozo

No online or remote education makes me angry.

It makes me angry because the public school (which is not one of the rich super schools) that my wife teaches at have been doing online lessons with them since April and they were so caught up and begging for a break that my wife and the other teachers gave them a break last week.

They were doing so well and most of the grade was online, what will this do to them now? It is not fair to cut online classes to those kids that have been working their butts off to stay on track with their school year.

The only reason why the no online or remote clause is in there is because of the private schools and because it gives them an unfair advantage but I have always said since the start of all of this if you want to learn you will find a way to do it and my wife's grade 9 group found a way to do it.

It is not fair to them or to the other groups at her school (and many other schools) that have been working since April.

Before you guys jump on me about the private school thing. I just want to say that my son goes to private school, not one of the elite ones but it is private and they did Teams the whole time. He is on track with his year so much so that the school is having a normal holiday for basically the whole month of August.

If the government cans this year and says that all schools public and private have to repeat then we will homeschool my son because there is no way I will make him repeat this year.

I also think that if they can the school year it will most likely be the end of my son's school. They have lost many of their students (4 just out of my son's grade alone) during the lockdown. Which is a pity because it is a good school.

The government had time and money to prepare the schools for when they opened and they pissed it all away. The public schools aren't safe.

My wife's school had to pass the hat around to the teachers when they ran out of PPE so that the principal could go out and buy for the next school day. They couldn't get in touch with the Department of Education Gauteng because it was closed down at the time because of positive cases of Covid there.

Their SGB teachers aren't getting paid much because basically only a few parents have had the money to pay school fees.

Right now her school doesn't have money to pay their utility bills.

It cost R17,000 to have the school cleaned and sanitized if there is a case of Covid in the school. So far 3 sets of parents and one grandparent have tested positive but they kept their kids away from school when they found out they were positive. The Department says that the school doesn't need to be disinfected because the families have kept the kids away from the school. So far none of the teachers there have tested positive but yeah, I am scared for my wife even though she is healthy and fit.

My sister in law's school in KZN has been closed twice this month because of positive cases at the school but so far my sister in law is still negative but I do wonder if this keeps up at her school for how long will she be negative.

This whole thing is not the teacher's union fault. The public schools here just really aren't safe and it is because the government hasn't kept up their side of the deal. If more teachers start dying there really isn't anyone to replace them because schools are begging for teachers, they have been for years. Teachers are getting sick and yes, some are dying, it is not good. That is why the unions are upset and to be honest, I don't blame them.

All this money that other countries and people have given to the country to help with the pandemic it is gone. Eskom is broke, Telkom is broke, SAA is broke, and so on. The Department of Education is broke as well. The whole government is broke.

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
Been doing maths via ZOOM for 3 months. Four 90 min lessons a week
The kids that do their homework and solve their examples did well
The problem are the parents to promise to pay and then give excuses.
I did not think that R200 a month was excessive and have had success with over 80% of the kids
Several parents take the attitude that if there are more than 10 participants in a session it’s a waste of time. But they still want to re-join the following week but won’t pay
One said it was “unfair” to request her son to put his phone away when he was attending a lesson. He was playing music and distracting the other learners
I ceased the lessons at the end of June
My daughter's math tutor is so busy he has zoom classes scheduled for different groups from 8 am until 8:30 pm. 12 kids a class. He's never had any issues like that.

Craig

Honorary Master
And no online or remote education whatsoever
If this is true, than anyone still voting ANC after this deserve to live in squatter camps bathing in their own filth.

Not ok with the school year being canned or postponed without the possibility of online classes.

I pay a fair amount of money each month just so my kids can have any advantage possible and if they can complete the year because of that then they should be allowed to do so. Life isn't fair, so what.
Precisely, some of us work hard to be able to afford schools but it seems this idiots want to keep our kids behind. This idiots being those campaigning to close schools instead of just keeping their kids home and the government.

Craig

Honorary Master
I send my kids to a private school, the state should butt out or send me a refund for the year.
That's another thing yes, if they can the year I'm down almost R60k in school fees for the year with nothing to show for it. Not even counting all the other costs I spent around schooling for this year.

I really hope the populace holds the ANC responsible for this mess.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
And no online or remote education whatsoever :mad:
What do you mean? Your kid's school doesn't provide this or it will also be "cancelled" by the DOB?

My kid's school opened 2 weeks before the official dates, since they told the DOB, that they were ready and subsequently received permission.

Also they started Term 3 officially about a week ago. Our next school break/holiday is scheduled at end of August.

About a quarter of the whole school or less, are studying from home due to paranoid parents, but the school is still providing some assistance to them as well. When all the kids were studying from home, the online lessons and support were amazing to say the least.

And this is a public school here in CT.

But we are very lucky of course: both my wife and I work from home and since I work for myself, I can help and support kids if they were to be sent home permanently again.

But they learn more effectively at school...I'm not a teacher and math can become an issue.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
That's another thing yes, if they can the year I'm down almost R60k in school fees for the year with nothing to show for it. Not even counting all the other costs I spent around schooling for this year.

I really hope the populace holds the ANC responsible for this mess.
They won't "can the year"...all students will advance to the next grade.

Craig

Honorary Master
They won't "can the year"...all students will advance to the next grade.
Im not sure that that's really that much better. Yes the cost isn't lost, but they still missed out on work , especially if they are not allowed to do online work.

Either way this is a dumb decision. In my opinion at least.

kolaval

Executive Member
@MightyQuin not all schools operate like yours and not all can move their kids to another school that does, unfortunately.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
Im not sure that that's really that much better. Yes the cost isn't lost, but they still missed out on work , especially if they are not allowed to do online work.

Either way this is a dumb decision. In my opinion at least.
This is the part that I don't understand? Did I miss something somewhere? Was this implied by the DOB and how would this be enforced in any way?

Speedster

Honorary Master
What do you mean? Your kid's school doesn't provide this or it will also be "cancelled" by the DOB?

My kid's school opened 2 weeks before the official dates, since they told the DOB, that they were ready and subsequently received permission.

Also they started Term 3 officially about a week ago. Our next school break/holiday is scheduled at end of August.

About a quarter of the whole school or less, are studying from home due to paranoid parents, but the school is still providing some assistance to them as well. When all the kids were studying from home, the online lessons and support were amazing to say the least.

And this is a public school here in CT.

But we are very lucky of course: both my wife and I work from home and since I work for myself, I can help and support kids if they were to be sent home permanently again.

But they learn more effectively at school...I'm not a teacher and math can become an issue.
What is this DOB you speak of?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
If this pandemic is going to continue for years, the summer holidays need to be scrapped and so too most public holidays and then have a massive long 8-10 week holiday during the winter months.
The only problem is Christmas-New Year period and this plan would require Thanosing the entire school year and restarting in September.

Craig

Honorary Master
This is the part that I don't understand? Did I miss something somewhere? Was this implied by the DOB and how would this be enforced in any way?
It was in the OP, also didn't see it in the article. It will still be a fck up for me if they close the schools as me and the wife works.