All schools are closing; by end July

B-1

I'm not a parent but I would be pretty pissed if I had kids and the school just did nothing and expected to be paid. A great many of the software platforms offer free educational licences and you can put together live streams and YouTube channels with very little effort. Students on the older side can also do study groups and use other sources to assist them.
If you have a school that gives a crap you can even put your content behind a pay wall and charge pupils who don't go to your school for online content and improve your schools income source as you will likely have people who continue with the paid path after the pandemic.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Children do transmit the virus. The rate of infection varies depending on who wrote the report. And this is being manipulated.

Example:

If, and I say if my niece has had the virus, still waiting by the way. She's 15 and she was sick for maybe 2 days, she passed it on to three other people if she had it.
My wife who had mild symptoms not enough for the doctors to actually do the test against her, even when mentioning my niece. Her mom mild to a bit more severe symptoms and they didn't do a test and her step dad who also mild symptoms, out of the 15 people she was in contact with she only possibly infected 3. Her 13 year old sister, 8 year old cousin, dad, gran, 20 year old step brother, his girlfriend and a few others not a sign.
So yeah it's possible they can spread it, but not like super spreaders.

Craig

Honorary Master
No such thing as teachers anymore. They are educators. They, bar a few, don't teach, they educate. There is a big difference. Someone can teach you how to do something from the knowledge they have. To teach you need knowledge.

You can educate yourself or someone else from reading from a book. You don't need any knowledge to educate. Just look at any conspiracy (or flatard) channel on YT. They all have something to say, based on something they have read and have no knowledge of.
My friends wife is a teacher, many a night she sits up to way after midnight preparing lessons for her kids for the next day/week. She puts in lots of extra time as well as sometimes spending her own money on buying the tools she needs in class. She is a teacher at a really poor school. No need to generalize like that, there are still good teachers out there.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
No need to generalize like that, there are still good teachers out there.
They, bar a few, don't teach, they educate.
Most educators are there for the pay cheque.

My son is at a boarding school. Only 2 of the teachers are government paid, but they all live at the school and get paid nothing to do boarder duties. Granted they get a free place to live. But farm duties over weekends, after school boarder duties (prep, extra lessons) and weekend sport are not extra pay. Let alone the non school activities like weekend fishing club, hiking and the like.

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
Children do transmit the virus. The rate of infection varies depending on who wrote the report. And this is being manipulated.

Example:

That sounds more reasonable. The worry though is that our private schools have large operating costs. 1-3 months without an income will sink them. Parents simply won’t pay if their kids aren’t educated.

If layoff start then it will mean that I will have to support my family as both my parents and my brother are working at schools.

Craig

Honorary Master
Most educators are there for the pay cheque.

My son is at a boarding school. Only 2 of the teachers are government paid, but they all live at the school and get paid nothing to do boarder duties. Granted they get a free place to live. But farm duties over weekends, after school boarder duties (prep, extra lessons) and weekend sport are not extra pay. Let alone the non school activities like weekend fishing club, hiking and the like.
Maybe we just have different experiences of school life. My kid's teachers puts in a lot of effort with them, so my view is maybe a bit skewed. When I was still in school my view of them was the same as yours as I was at a school where many teachers were lazy and were just missing first few days after pay.

binkybozo

My sons school is on the verge of closing down permanently. He loves his school.
I am so worried about my son's school. He loves his teacher and loves his school but I don't know how they will manage if they have to close again.

McT

The Humble Scot!
What do you mean? Your kid's school doesn't provide this or it will also be "cancelled" by the DOB?
If not already answered by another, the intention is to stop schooling generally. Online teaching, teaching packs or any other medium will be stopped. Because the 'disadvantaged' schools do not have similar access, unions are adamant that all schools must be stopped from teaching.

From what we heard Rodean has said there will be nothing till they open again.

(Disclaimer: I have no affiliation to Rodean.)

This, but the government has never listened to science, the scientists all said back in May the lockdown had done as much as it was going to do, look at where we are at towards the end of July.
Fully agree. But when as this ANC led government ever done anything based in common sense, logic or science. Now unions, who know less, are making irrational demands. This is just a paid holiday that these eejits are looking for.

/sigh

binkybozo

My friends wife is a teacher, many a night she sits up to way after midnight preparing lessons for her kids for the next day/week. She puts in lots of extra time as well as sometimes spending her own money on buying the tools she needs in class. She is a teacher at a really poor school. No need to generalize like that, there are still good teachers out there.
My wife does the same. We both know that while school is in session we pretty much don't have a social life together. My wife loves teaching her kids. She wants to see them succeed because she knows that they will not have a chance in hell if they don't.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
If not already answered by another, the intention is to stop schooling generally. Online teaching, teaching packs or any other medium will be stopped. Because the 'disadvantaged' schools do not have similar access, unions are adamant that all schools must be stopped from teaching.
**** the unions. They must all **** off to cuba or venezuela or russia.

Nicodeamus

Executive Member
For the parents that don’t know what to do with the kids, I suggest a dosage of self-directed education and play, invite the kids’s friends over for the day and let them teach themselves. (That is if the schools close down).

Reactions: McT

Lupus

Honorary Master

From what we heard Rodean has said there will be nothing till they open again.

(Disclaimer: I have no affiliation to Rodean.)

Fully agree. But when as this ANC led government ever done anything based in common sense, logic or science. Now unions, who know less, are making irrational demands. This is just a paid holiday that these eejits are looking for.

/sigh
Private schools can still put up a middle finger and protest it, they don't get any funding from government, they don't have teachers in the unions.

Craig

Honorary Master
My wife does the same. We both know that while school is in session we pretty much don't have a social life together. My wife loves teaching her kids. She wants to see them succeed because she knows that they will not have a chance in hell if they don't.
I still believe there are many teachers like this out there. My wife's aunt retired as a teacher last year, she pretty much did the same. Kids brought her lots of flowers and presents at home when she retired, and she was a teacher on the cape flats at a really poor school. I can only imagine being a teacher and people say stuff like that, how that would make you feel. There is truly not enough money in the world that would make me want to be a teacher, it's a really difficult job, especially in the poorer schools.

binkybozo

I still believe there are many teachers like this out there. My wife's aunt retired as a teacher last year, she pretty much did the same. Kids brought her lots of flowers and presents at home when she retired, and she was a teacher on the cape flats at a really poor school. I can only imagine being a teacher and people say stuff like that, how that would make you feel. There is truly not enough money in the world that would make me want to be a teacher, it's a really difficult job, especially in the poorer schools.
My wife every day has to remind the kids that they can't hug her. They adore her and she adores them. It was the same with her mother as well. Kids cried when she left on her last day.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
If not already answered by another, the intention is to stop schooling generally. Online teaching, teaching packs or any other medium will be stopped.
Personally I think this is nonsense and rumor based. Will be impossible to police anyway...