All schools are closing; by end July

ponder

Honorary Master

'Why treat private schools so special?'

Johannesburg – Teacher unions have hit out at the government following its decision to allow private schools to remain open.

On Thursday, President Cyril Ramaphosa announced that public schools would “take a break” from July 27 until August 24, while private schools were given the go-ahead to remain open.

While unions such as the SA Democratic Teachers’ Union (Sadtu) have come out in support of the one-month break for public schools following a spike in Covid-19 cases in the country, they expressed concern at the decision to allow private schools to remain open.

“This thing of perpetuating the inequalities has got to stop,” said Sadtu general-secretary Mugwena Maluleke.

“We have got to confront this so we are then able to have one education system in our country where, when everybody has got to close, we close and when we come back, we come back.”

This was echoed by the National Professional Teachers’ Organisation of SA .

“One of the main issues we are concerned about is this differentiation with the private schools,” said executive director Basil Manuel.

“It just entrenches differences and it suggests private schools don’t have the issues that we have. We have one minister so why are we treating this group with kid gloves? It reinforces two things - the differences between private and public schools and that people with money continue to be treated like they are extra special. It’s a highly unfair decision and not one we would embrace.”

Manuel added, however, that they would not be challenging government’s decision.

“I don’t think people have a taste for it to be quite honest. It would make a hell of a lot of noise. What we need is an urgent meeting before they publish regulations to discuss our issues, otherwise when the regulations are published, we are going to have an even bigger job trying to undo some of the things.”

The Federation of Governing Bodies of South African Schools believes government hasn’t acted in the best interests of learners. “The decision to allow private schools to stay open deepens and entrenches inequality,” said chief executive Paul Colditz.

“The same applies to the public schools. The minority of public schools will continue with online and distance learning, so they won’t be affected. Those children who need it the most are the children that should have been at school now. So the decision does not make any sense to me.”

Dennis Bloem, the spokesperson for Cope, said the decision has split the education system into two, between private and public schools.

He said the advice of the World Health Organization did not distinguish which school system would be affected by Covid-19.

You cannot reason with this crab mentality...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

They are all punting inequalities. Paul Colditz is versed in Constitutional Law and see his view. He also said it isn't in the learners best interest, like WTF?

The Federation of Governing Bodies of South African Schools believes government hasn’t acted in the best interests of learners. “The decision to allow private schools to stay open deepens and entrenches inequality,” said chief executive Paul Colditz.

“The same applies to the public schools. The minority of public schools will continue with online and distance learning, so they won’t be affected. Those children who need it the most are the children that should have been at school now. So the decision does not make any sense to me.”
Everyone must now be 'equal' in regard to receiving a education. It is a basic right which applies to everyone, how is a Constitutional Lawman unable to comprehend this? FEDSAS se moer.

Cope also nit-picked on what the WHO said. Politics, it is sickening.

When the state disadvantage their voters, everyone must be disadvantaged. It is a gross human rights abuse.

I am sorry to say, this country is pissing the Constitution away. People are trying to play their own Realpolitik here.

bwana

MyBroadband
My kids finished on Friday for their scheduled two week break so I'm not bothered about the schools closing.

My concern is what happens if they finish their school year, as scheduled, and then progress to the next grade come January when the public schools will still be catching up? My youngest in Gr7 has friends who are moving to public high schools.

Mila

Honorary Master
I wish someone would hammer this into the heads of those in government making these decisions. Not just around their idiotic, backward phased return, but in general.

At private school they proceed as though everyone attended the online lessons, because no-one had any excuse for not attending and doing their weekly projects. I'd assume the more affluent state schools do the same. I also expect that in the higher quality schools the teachers use their discretion. So they can make a plan around those who genuinely couldn't attend online classes while also allowing everyone else to keep moving forward. In the case of those who could have attended, but didn't bother the right policy is to tell them they'll have to make a plan to catch up, because the rest of us are moving forward.

As an adult I know repeating it would probably be boring, so I'd be less motivated to do it earlier if I knew they were going to repeat it. I suppose you have to know your teachers and school.

The key point is that no matter what they do the unions and state education bureaucrats can't drag everyone down to the same level. It will be, just as with the extended lockdown and the braindead phased return, the most vulnerable children who suffer the consequences. What's truly bizarre to me is the extent of support for closing schools amongst the lowest income earners. It just shows how little they value education and why their children will end up just like them, earning maybe a couple of thousand Rand a month.
Tx.
Its so sad. Those kids didn’t ask to be born.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
According to the minister, while schools are on a break, the learning is supposed to continue. Got an answer from the school today that they've made the decision to force a full break ie no distance learning channels etc for the mental health of teachers and pupils.

This is the article where the minister stated that the schools are still to supply support

If the school decides to give staff a break, folks can give their fees a break too.

binkybozo

According to the minister, while schools are on a break, the learning is supposed to continue. Got an answer from the school today that they've made the decision to force a full break ie no distance learning channels etc for the mental health of teachers and pupils.

This is the article where the minister stated that the schools are still to supply support

If the school decides to give staff a break, folks can give their fees a break too.
My wife goes in on Monday.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master
I did not spawn snot monsters.
Well then maybe don't comment about what's happening with schools and education on ground level if you know fukkal about it and only have anecdotal references from your childhood.

Craig

Honorary Master

. “It just entrenches differences and it suggests private schools don’t have the issues that we have
Well, you were ones requesting for the schools to close, now you want to cry about equality. Bloody fool. There's no reason for any schools to be closed now. The unions are the ones responsible for the poorer kids missing education, this is their fault. Directly.

MightyQuin

Honorary Master

Excellent news :cool:
Our school already has permission. Kids are going back after this 2 week break.

All kids will complete their school year as per normal. None of this December holiday school schit or the academic year going over into next year either...

binkybozo

Do you guys want to know why the unions are up in arms? Let me tell you about my family's life since Thursday evening.

Thursday evening I open an email from my son's private school. Apparently one of the students at his school test came back positive on Tuesday. The parents had sent the child for testing either on Friday or over the weekend. Instead of keeping the child home on Monday and Tuesday while waiting for results they sent the child to school. They did not inform the school about the test, they said nothing. The child went about his day even going to the chess club meeting while at school where many learners from all primary grades go. They only told the school about all of this on Tuesday. Side note, yeah I am upset that the school only let us know on Thursday.

My son's school in their email says that the school is safe and that they have taken the proper precautions so the school will not be closed and will go on as normal until 7 August when their holiday starts.

Friday, at my wife's school a student passes out in a class. The teacher (who is new and has only been teaching for a month now, shame) has a student run to get the principal.

The Deputy principal comes in and by this time the child is having convulsions and has stopped breathing so the deputy starts CPR.

They are told that it will be a long while before an ambulance can get there. So now that the student is breathing again the Deputy and the teacher decide to load the kid into the deputy's car and take her to the Medicross that is up the street.

While at Medicross the parents show up and while they are there the Deputy overhears them telling the doctor that the child has had what they think is a cold the whole week.

The parents still sent the child to school and yes, my wife was informed that the child tested positive for the virus so now the new teacher, the Deputy, and all of the grade 10's in her class are in isolation.

The SMT is going in tomorrow to figure out what to do and to help the health department with the tracing because this girl rides a taxi to school every morning and they need to figure out which students the girl hung out with at school and so on.

Yes, the student was screened but on Thursday I had to drop off some things for my wife at the school office. When I was screened with their government-issued temp taker I registered a 34.3 temperature. So that would mean that I was going into mild hypothermia which I wasn't. In fact, I was actually warm from running around that morning. So you can say that those government-issued temp takers are well, pretty crappy.

Is her school going to be deep cleaned? No, they don't have the R17,000 to do it and the principal was told that the school is on their own "figure out a way to deep clean your school." was the exact words that the Department told him.

The principal who is 64 is about to have a nervous break down because he feels he hasn't and can't keep his teachers and students safe now. My wife is worried that he is going to have either a stroke or heart attack because every time he has called her over the weekend she can tell that he is scared and worried beyond belief.

My wife, who has been super paranoid about sanitizing and keeping clean feels like she has brought the virus into our home. Even though we social distance when she comes in and does so until she throws her clothes in the wash and takes a shower, only then can we say hello to her. Her elderly parents live with us on the property and I am what you consider high risk. (Parkinson's and heart issues but I am fit, so I don't worry about the high-risk thing)

This is the reason why the teacher's unions are up in arms. You have stupid parents who are sending their children to school when they know that they are sick. Public schools have crappy PPE and are being told that they are on their own by the Department because the Department has no money to handle what is going on in the schools.

Guys, teachers, and the schools are not equipped or trained to handle this and yet there are so many to jump on the bandwagon and tell the unions to go to hell and keep the schools open. What everyone should be doing is that instead of screaming at the teacher's unions who are really trying to keep everyone safe. People should be screaming at the government because it is the government that is leaving the schools, teachers, and students to handle this on their own and they can't.

Craig

Honorary Master
Do you guys want to know why the unions are up in arms? Let me tell you about my family's life since Thursday evening.

Thursday evening I open an email from my son's private school. Apparently one of the students at his school test came back positive on Tuesday. The parents had sent the child for testing either on Friday or over the weekend. Instead of keeping the child home on Monday and Tuesday while waiting for results they sent the child to school. They did not inform the school about the test, they said nothing. The child went about his day even going to the chess club meeting while at school where many learners from all primary grades go. They only told the school about all of this on Tuesday. Side note, yeah I am upset that the school only let us know on Thursday.

My son's school in their email says that the school is safe and that they have taken the proper precautions so the school will not be closed and will go on as normal until 7 August when their holiday starts.

Friday, at my wife's school a student passes out in a class. The teacher (who is new and has only been teaching for a month now, shame) has a student run to get the principal.

The Deputy principal comes in and by this time the child is having convulsions and has stopped breathing so the deputy starts CPR.

They are told that it will be a long while before an ambulance can get there. So now that the student is breathing again the Deputy and the teacher decide to load the kid into the deputy's car and take her to the Medicross that is up the street.

While at Medicross the parents show up and while they are there the Deputy overhears them telling the doctor that the child has had what they think is a cold the whole week.

The parents still sent the child to school and yes, my wife was informed that the child tested positive for the virus so now the new teacher, the Deputy, and all of the grade 10's in her class are in isolation.

The SMT is going in tomorrow to figure out what to do and to help the health department with the tracing because this girl rides a taxi to school every morning and they need to figure out which students the girl hung out with at school and so on.

Yes, the student was screened but on Thursday I had to drop off some things for my wife at the school office. When I was screened with their government-issued temp taker I registered a 34.3 temperature. So that would mean that I was going into mild hypothermia which I wasn't. In fact, I was actually warm from running around that morning. So you can say that those government-issued temp takers are well, pretty crappy.

Is her school going to be deep cleaned? No, they don't have the R17,000 to do it and the principal was told that the school is on their own "figure out a way to deep clean your school." was the exact words that the Department told him.

The principal who is 64 is about to have a nervous break down because he feels he hasn't and can't keep his teachers and students safe now. My wife is worried that he is going to have either a stroke or heart attack because every time he has called her over the weekend she can tell that he is scared and worried beyond belief.

My wife, who has been super paranoid about sanitizing and keeping clean feels like she has brought the virus into our home. Even though we social distance when she comes in and does so until she throws her clothes in the wash and takes a shower, only then can we say hello to her. Her elderly parents live with us on the property and I am what you consider high risk. (Parkinson's and heart issues but I am fit, so I don't worry about the high-risk thing)

This is the reason why the teacher's unions are up in arms. You have stupid parents who are sending their children to school when they know that they are sick. Public schools have crappy PPE and are being told that they are on their own by the Department because the Department has no money to handle what is going on in the schools.

Guys, teachers, and the schools are not equipped or trained to handle this and yet there are so many to jump on the bandwagon and tell the unions to go to hell and keep the schools open. What everyone should be doing is that instead of screaming at the teacher's unions who are really trying to keep everyone safe. People should be screaming at the government because it is the government that is leaving the schools, teachers, and students to handle this on their own and they can't.
Wth, stupid people like that should be euthanized. What the hell is wrong with people.

sandwitch

Wth, stupid people like that should be euthanized. What the hell is wrong with people.
It always surprises me how much more common stupidity and denial is than I realise.

@binkybozo I'm sorry to hear about what you and your family and school are going through.
[edited to add] I'm one of the ones who were on the side of keeping the schools open. I know we're doing everything on our side to keep things safe but reading your story has made me reconsider.

Last edited:

Kosmik

Honorary Master
It always surprises me how much more common stupidity and denial is than I realise.

@binkybozo I'm sorry to hear about what you and your family and school are going through.
[edited to add] I'm one of the ones who were on the side of keeping the schools open. I know we're doing everything on our side to keep things safe but reading your story has maxed me reconsider.
I prefer the schools to remain physically open but can also understand those who wish to keep their children at home. The choice should be allowed to both parents and educators, stay at home, teach from home BUT everyone needs to be aware of the costs and income implications. Schools cannot expect full fees for partial delivery, especially when others have had to make very difficult choices.

sandwitch

I prefer the schools to remain physically open but can also understand those who wish to keep their children at home. The choice should be allowed to both parents and educators, stay at home, teach from home BUT everyone needs to be aware of the costs and income implications. Schools cannot expect full fees for partial delivery, especially when others have had to make very difficult choices.
But then parents need to understand that teachers are making 2 sets of lessons. One set for online and another for physical use. They are also adjusting all their lessons and the content to fit into whatever attendance program their school is using. And then that has to change again each time someone in government spins the bottle and makes another sweeping education decree or sends through more revised curriculum/policy changes.
Plus they're dealing with a majority of kids who aren't doing their homework, either online or offline, because the kids think it's a holiday. And they're dealing with constant abuse from parents who think teachers are faffing around when they've really been working straight through the 1st lockdown and into this lockdown as well.

And as for being paid, a lot of teachers haven't been. Some not at all, and a lot only at half-pay, because they're SGB. And many of these teachers have carried on working regardless despite being well within their rights to stop working until they are paid. Just because they deal with children doesn't mean they're not entitled to a fair salary.

Schools are working with parents who've lost their income, or who are struggling. But oddly, the vast majority of people who are protesting and vocal about not paying school fees are the ones who haven't lost their jobs, are still getting full salaries themselves, and drive nice fancy cars.

Not every teacher is government-employed. And the people throwing shade on teachers quite frankly need to grow up and redirect their ire at where it's deserved - on the employer/government - instead of lashing out at easy targets who don't make policy.

And those parents keeping their children at home need to understand that they aren't homeschooling their children because they aren't responsible for the creation, organisation and pacing of teaching materials. They might be helping with more homework - and from what I've seen they aren't even bothering to check their kids are doing the homework (and they aren't) - but that's it.

I think the only solution is for parents who believe that they shouldn't pay school fees, or feel that they aren't getting their money's worth, is to take their child out of school and have the pleasure and responsibility of actually homeschooling them themselves.

Last edited:

Kosmik

Honorary Master
But then parents need to understand that teachers are making 2 sets of lessons. One set for online and another for physical use. They are also adjusting all their lessons and the content to fit into whatever attendance program their school is using. And then that has to change again each time someone in government spins the bottle and makes another sweeping education decree or sends through more revised curriculum/policy changes.
Plus they're dealing with a majority of kids who aren't doing their homework, either online or offline, because the kids think it's a holiday. And they're dealing with constant abuse from parents who think teachers are faffing around when they've been working straight through the 1st lockdown and into this lockdown as well.

And as for being paid, a lot of teachers haven't been. Some not at all, and a lot only at half-pay, because they're SGB. And many of these teachers have carried on working regardless despite being well within their rights to stop working until they are paid. Just because they deal with children doesn't mean they're not entitled to a fair salary.

But schools are working with parents who've lost their income, or who are struggling. But oddly, the vast majority of people who are protesting and vocal about not paying school fees are the ones who haven't lost their jobs, are still getting full salaries themselves, and drive nice fancy cars.

Not every teacher is government-employed. And the people throwing shade on teachers quite frankly need to grow up and redirect their ire at where it's deserved - on the employer/government - instead of lashing out at easy targets who don't make policy.

And those parents keeping their children at home need to understand that they aren't homeschooling their children because they aren't responsible for the creation, organisation and pacing of teaching materials. They might be helping with more homework - and from what I've seen they aren't even bothering to check their kids so the homework at all - but that's it.

I think the only solution is for parents who believe that they shouldn't pay school fees, or feel that they aren't getting their money's worth, to take their child out of school and have the pleasure and responsibility of actually homeschooling them.
There are differant scenarios, if a school is providing learning, materials etc, they are entitled to get paid BUT there are schools, with teachers receiving full pay via GB, that are choosing to stop support for weeks during this new lockdown, contrary to the new defined terms. THAT, is unacceptable.

And holding a school to account, is well within any paying persons purview. The attitude of lump it or leave it is also not acceptable.