All the requirements for getting a gun licence in South Africa

Muttley

Expert Member
This article has some errors:

If you plan on owning your own firearm and are not a member of PSIRA (whole other set of requirements), you will need to purchase the firearm which will be kept by the gunsmith before you apply for your license. The license contains the firearm: type, calibre, make & serial number (barrel, receiver & frame).

The article implies that you can obtain a license and then go buy a gun... this is not the case

K213N

But don't you guys feel really safe after reading that? Don't you love that you and your family can go stroll through the streets at night, drive around with your windows down, leave your front doors open etc, since normal people are faced with instructions the length of a Harry Potter novel if they want to obtain just a single gun? You can sleep soundly at night, knowing that Steve from Finance can't just get a gun and randomly shoot you. See, the system works!

/s

krycor

Honorary Master
Hrm.. wouldn’t mind doing some self defense training with weapons. Will put it on my list of things to do next year with spouse. Useful to know prior to ever being put in a position where one needs to use it.

Not gonna go out and buy a gun etc, just I think the training aspect is worth it particularly for women(hence spouse with). Just saying, guns.. one will become available with untrained perpetrators if forum is to be believed.

Ironically the only time my immediate family members were approached with armed persons was in Cpt (3 incidences vs 0 for me living in Jhb during the same period)

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member
What you need to own a fire-arm in the new South Africa?

A few hundred Rands, a trivial to the Khasi, no paper work, not bullshit from a retarded State, nor any of it's hypocracy, no record of the transaction.

Way to do business.

gbyleveldt

Hrm.. wouldn’t mind doing some self defense training with weapons. Will put it on my list of things to do next year with spouse. Useful to know prior to ever being put in a position where one needs to use it.

Not gonna go out and buy a gun etc, just I think the training aspect is worth it particularly for women(hence spouse with). Just saying, guns.. one will become available with untrained perpetrators if forum is to be believed.

Ironically the only time my immediate family members were approached with armed persons was in Cpt (3 incidences vs 0 for me living in Jhb during the same period)
That’s actually a fantastic idea. And if you with a good trainer, you will understand how people are generally attacked based on how they train you. It really is eye opening. Who knows, you might actually enjoy the experience and leave there with a different mindset.

Death

Or you can just go into the dodgy parts of most towns and buy one with no link to you for a few hundred bucks.

It's sad that so many that want to be legal have to jump through so many hoops and wait an eternity and a day to receive their licenses when the government just wants to take away the right to defend yourself anyway so that trained, law abiding citizens are being put at risk without their firearms because of a corrupt state and the scum that roam the streets posing threats to us on the daily.

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
The other most common licences impose the following limits:

• Licence to possess restricted firearm for self-defence – One semi-automatic rifle or shotgun which cannot be readily converted into fully automatic firearm.

Semi-auto rifles? For self-defense. What a weird way of spelling pistol.

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce