All the requirements for getting a gun licence in South Africa

Hellhound105

Executive Member
You also have to take 3 witness with you when doing your competency at the Police station. But this keeps changing.

One thing to note is the time it takes. If you start from scratch, be prepared to wait 2 years before taking your first one home.

*Don't buy yet if you don't have the competency. Storage fees are a thing at some places.

shearder

To hell with the government. I believe they like nuts and bananas, so I'll put peanut butter on my dogs dick for the government to feast on Cele can suck it for all its worth. The boon has 24/7 security and we know the cops can't protect a bowl of jelly so **** them.

The Light Green Hornet

Ummm, is it about idiots shooting each other or is it about the Saps doing their job and removing illegal weapons from circulation instead of sitting in their dirty offices on their XXXXL bottoms playing with their laptops and producing worthless statistics? Were the clevers serious when they compiled the constitution and said we have the right to defend ourselves from these crazies? So many questions, so little time.

Glock26

Expert Member
EDIT:Look at me being a dufus. I didn't know you can actually own a semi-auto rifle for self defense.
Well....you are not really wrong. Technically it's possible, but the people who have been issued with one can be counted on hands. You would need to be in the middle of nowhere with an imminent threat for them to even consider it. For all intents and purposes, you can't get a semi auto rifle for SD.

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
Well....you are not really wrong. Technically it's possible, but the people who have been issued with one can be counted on hands. You would need to be in the middle of nowhere with an imminent threat for them to even consider it. For all intents and purposes, you can't get a semi auto rifle for SD.

I always thought the only way to get one would be sport shooter or collector licenses, maybe PH. Have never heard of anyone getting one for SD.

AntennaMan

Expert Member
I always thought the only way to get one would be sport shooter or collector licenses, maybe PH. Have never heard of anyone getting one for SD.
I have heard of a couple of farmers that managed to do it. But it is difficult.

SoldierMan

Executive Member
I know that. The article says that you're allowed to have one semi-auto rifle or shotgun for self-defense purposes. That's not true, you're allowed one semi-auto pistol/revolver or shotgun for self-defense.

EDIT:Look at me being a dufus. I didn't know you can actually own a semi-auto rifle for self defense. :)

Technically you can't. There is no option for it on the SAPS form (if I remember correctly). Only a handgun (which can obviously be semi) and shotgun (which cannot be semi) are provided for on the form.

However you can apply for a semi-auto rifle for sport purposes if you have dedicated sport shooter status and then under Section 16.

Then you could use it for self defence as you can use any gun for any lawful purpose, which includes self defence. But you cannot store a sport or hunting gun loaded (unlike a self defence gun), so you would have to insert the mag and then load it. Wouldn't take a second so not an issue.

SoldierMan

Executive Member
I have heard of a couple of farmers that managed to do it. But it is difficult.

You mean literally apply for a SLR for self defence? What form would they use, or would it be a different form? Can't remember now if there is a box for SLR when applying for self defence.

AntennaMan

Expert Member
You mean literally apply for a SLR for self defence? What form would they use, or would it be a different form? Can't remember now if there is a box for SLR when applying for self defence.
Section 14 license, license a restricted firearm for self defence.

Matt91

Expert Member
Or you can just go into the dodgy parts of most towns and buy one with no link to you for a few hundred bucks.

It's sad that so many that want to be legal have to jump through so many hoops and wait an eternity and a day to receive their licenses when the government just wants to take away the right to defend yourself anyway so that trained, law abiding citizens are being put at risk without their firearms because of a corrupt state and the scum that roam the streets posing threats to us on the daily.

It's because if decent, civilized citizens were able to defend themselves and start skieting all the sub-human trash that perpetrates all these violent crimes, the ANC will have hardly any voter base left.

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
Well, I'm happy I'm not the only that saw this as a bit murky. :)

krycor

Honorary Master
That’s actually a fantastic idea. And if you with a good trainer, you will understand how people are generally attacked based on how they train you. It really is eye opening. Who knows, you might actually enjoy the experience and leave there with a different mindset.

Not really..

Look i should mention that I am opposed to the need to arm myself because I’m not doing anything that puts me at direct risk.. Ie I’m not a CIT driver, security or live on a isolated area/farm etc. besides it would make wife & I very nervous esp with a kid in the house. Stats says it’s a bad idea. That view won’t change.

But I do see value in “knowing” how to handle oneself when caught in a bad situation.

That doesn’t mean that post training you gonna tackle the first oke with a gun but if he leaves an opening with a high chance of success.. it would be good to have the odds stacked in your favor. Ie you don’t want your 1st time handling a weapon to be the time you need to do it with low margin of failure.

Kinda reminds me of karate when was a kid though I’ve never fought anyone like ever.

Anyway didn’t mean to derail.. just a random thought I had the other day, was wondering about cost and that happen to coincide with the costs shown in article(though it’s likely more than that for self defence).

AntennaMan

Expert Member
Not really..

Look i should mention that I am opposed to the need to arm myself because I’m not doing anything that puts me at direct risk.. Ie I’m not a CIT driver, security or live on a isolated area/farm etc. besides it would make wife & I very nervous esp with a kid in the house. Stats says it’s a bad idea. That view won’t change.

But I do see value in “knowing” how to handle oneself when caught in a bad situation.

That doesn’t mean that post training you gonna tackle the first oke with a gun but if he leaves an opening with a high chance of success.. it would be good to have the odds stacked in your favor. Ie you don’t want your 1st time handling a weapon to be the time you need to do it with low margin of failure.

Kinda reminds me of karate when was a kid though I’ve never fought anyone like ever.

Anyway didn’t mean to derail.. just a random thought I had the other day, was wondering about cost and that happen to coincide with the costs shown in article(though it’s likely more than that for self defence).

Just a quick question. Which stats show it's a bad idea?

Glock26

Expert Member
The made up stats that GFSA quotes without proof. 99.9% of SD with a handgun doesn't involve a shot fired. And they are never recorded or reported. So hard to quote numbers. But I bet there are huge numbers of owners who only had to present a firearm to dissuade criminals or make an arrest. Done it 3 times myself.

MGMT

Not really..

I respect your decision. Owning a gun is not for everybody (huge responsibility).

But by that reasoning you shouldnt have any sharp knives/blades/scissors in the house as they are the most common weapons used to commit contact crimes (murder, attempted murder and assault) in South Africa.

Guns do contribute to most murders though.
56dfd58734a999be5354cc64a074390d.jpg

gbyleveldt

Not really..

Yeah, as the others above I had to do a double take on that one. I suspect you are referring to GFSA’s malicious use of thumb sucked stats to drum up their agenda. I mean, we all were told that you are 70% more likely to be shot with your own gun rather than defend yourself. When people started drilling into that little Pearl it turned out that was another gem GFSA just dreamt up. Still, that faulty mantra still persists. At the time, early 2000’s when that BS was perpetuated by GFSA, the pro gun community didn’t have the voice it has now. iAnyway, let me not flog that dead horse. In any case, things have changed since then and the pro-gun community has spent a lot of time disproving those ‘facts’

That being said, owning a gun is still a very personal choice. No one can change your mind about it, only you can. I have however found that, over time, many people who were reluctant about firearms changed their views when invited to a shooting session and realised that a gun isn’t some evil device that kills by itself. It’s just a tool, like any other, that is perfectly safe when handled correctly. I mean, how many people nervous about getting their drivers licenses but after driving for some time, realised that it’s perfectly safe if you follow the rules. Anyway, like I said, your choice is your choice. Nothing wrong with that

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
But don't you guys feel really safe after reading that? Don't you love that you and your family can go stroll through the streets at night, drive around with your windows down, leave your front doors open etc, since normal people are faced with instructions the length of a Harry Potter novel if they want to obtain just a single gun? You can sleep soundly at night, knowing that Steve from Finance can't just get a gun and randomly shoot you. See, the system works!

/s
You'd prefer to have Werner from the Trailer Park able to just walk into a gun store and pick up whatever he chooses? THAT would help you feel safer at night?

Unless you disagree with drivers' licenses too, I'd expect you to support some basic form of gun regulation. It's not the system's fault if you're too lazy to study two modules, fire off a few shots with an instructor, get a firearm safe, visit a gun store and then go your nearest friendly SAPS DFO. It seems like the least you should be willing to do before you're allowed to get something that can easily kill people at a distance, wouldn't you say? Getting a driver's license is way more difficult, in fact.

K213N

You'd prefer to have Werner from the Trailer Park able to just walk into a gun store and pick up whatever he chooses?
Right now it seems that the "Werners" of this world are easily able to go and "pick up whatever they choose". And not from a gun store. Do you agree, yes or no?
Unless you disagree with drivers' licenses too
Do you have to submit an application to the government whenever you want to purchase a new car (and hope they say yes), or do you simply buy a vehicle, register it in your name and drive off, even using a temp registration until the final one is printed? Does your personal drivers license require several months to over a year to get issued, even after you've demonstrated that you are capable of driving?
I'd expect you to support some basic form of gun regulation.
The entire firearms community in this country has rallied behind the concept of "license the person, register the gun". The fact that you typed your reply whilst being seemingly unaware of this tells me a lot about your grasp on this topic.
It's not the system's fault if you're too lazy to study two modules, fire off a few shots with an instructor, get a firearm safe, visit a gun store and then go your nearest friendly SAPS DFO.
Is it the "system's fault" that it currently takes somewhere around 14-18 months to finalize the process you just described? Even though most of the actual activities you describe take a few minutes each? As for DFO's - you are aware that there is wild inconsistency between DFO's right? In terms of the letters they require, the character witnesses they want to see, whether or not they do appointments or walk-ins, whether or not you must renew on exactly 90 days or earlier, whether or not the safe must be physically inspected or pictures will suffice and so on.
It seems like the least you should be willing to do before you're allowed to get something that can easily kill people at a distance, wouldn't you say? Getting a driver's license is way more difficult, in fact.
Must you prove (to the government) that your car will be locked up securely at night, so that CIT robbers can't steal it and use it in other crimes? Must you bring people to the RTI to testify that you are of sound mind and not the type of person to go and get drunk and drive? Must you write a long motivation for why you wish to purchase a vehicle? Even if that vehicle is a large bakkie/4x4 that can pose a much greater danger to other road users? Again, I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove, since most of the firearms community seems to be fully on board with the current competency and law modules required. Instead, what we have seen is that criminals have by and large been able to continue their activities, either with illegally owned guns, including those which were never available to civilians to begin with, or other weapons. All whilst police and the government don't really seem any closer to solving the problems that lead to violent crime. So, again, I ask you: do you feel safe knowing that while ordinary citizens (who have committed to following the law) are now probably going to be burdened even further, crime and criminals continue to run amok?

Last edited:

SoldierMan

Executive Member
You also have to take 3 witness with you when doing your competency at the Police station. But this keeps changing.

One thing to note is the time it takes. If you start from scratch, be prepared to wait 2 years before taking your first one home.

*Don't buy yet if you don't have the competency. Storage fees are a thing at some places.

Since when has this been the case??

I know you have to have three character references typed out and signed but not that you actually have to have three people physically there. What if you just moved and don't know anyone.

If true it is just yet another ridiculous requirement.