All the requirements for getting a gun licence in South Africa

Hellhound105

Executive Member
Since when has this been the case??

I know you have to have three character references typed out and signed but not that you actually have to have three people physically there. What if you just moved and don't know anyone.

If true it is just yet another ridiculous requirement.
Not if, it is true.

Can phone Norkem Park SAPS if you dont believe.

Written references are given back.

Also note that if you are married, one of the references must be your wife.

SoldierMan

Executive Member
Not if, it is true.

Can phone Norkem Park SAPS if you dont believe.

Written references are given back.

Also note that if you are married, one of the references must be your wife.

Is it nationwide or just your DFO? When I first done mine I didn't need 3, just my mom or wife to say that I wasn't a nutter. Not three though.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Right now it seems that the "Werners" of this world are easily able to go and "pick up whatever they choose". And not from a gun store. Do you agree, yes or no?

Do you have to submit an application to the government whenever you want to purchase a new car (and hope they say yes), or do you simply buy a vehicle, register it in your name and drive off, even using a temp registration until the final one is printed? Does your personal drivers license require several months to over a year to get issued, even after you've demonstrated that you are capable of driving?

The entire firearms community in this country has rallied behind the concept of "license the person, register the gun". The fact that you typed your reply whilst being seemingly unaware of this tells me a lot about your grasp on this topic.

Is it the "system's fault" that it currently takes somewhere around 14-18 months to finalize the process you just described? Even though most of the actual activities you describe take a few minutes each? As for DFO's - you are aware that there is wild inconsistency between DFO's right? In terms of the letters they require, the character witnesses they want to see, whether or not they do appointments or walk-ins, whether or not you must renew on exactly 90 days or earlier, whether or not the safe must be physically inspected or pictures will suffice and so on.

Must you prove (to the government) that your car will be locked up securely at night, so that CIT robbers can't steal it and use it in other crimes? Must you bring people to the RTI to testify that you are of sound mind and not the type of person to go and get drunk and drive? Must you write a long motivation for why you wish to purchase a vehicle? Even if that vehicle is a large bakkie/4x4 that can pose a much greater danger to other road users? Again, I'm not sure what point you're trying to prove, since most of the firearms community seems to be fully on board with the current competency and law modules required. Instead, what we have seen is that criminals have by and large been able to continue their activities, either with illegally owned guns, including those which were never available to civilians to begin with, or other weapons. All whilst police and the government don't really seem any closer to solving the problems that lead to violent crime. So, again, I ask you: do you feel safe knowing that while ordinary citizens (who have committed to following the law) are now probably going to be burdened even further, crime and criminals continue to run amok?
Wow guys, look at THIS keyboard warrior. K213N, if you spend a 20th as much time completing gun applications as you do moaning about the process, I'd be pretty surprised. You made a crap argument, I called you out on it, and now you're all defensive? Be my guest. Have a rubbish attitude in life. If you want the freedom to buy guns as easily as one can buy cars, maybe you need to reconsider your life's priorities. But it's a free world. Go be free, you do you.

K213N

Since when has this been the case??

I know you have to have three character references typed out and signed but not that you actually have to have three people physically there. What if you just moved and don't know anyone.

If true it is just yet another ridiculous requirement.
It varies wildly from place to place. For mine, I had to bring one person physically for an interview. If you are married or in a relationship, that person must be your partner. Else they must be your relative.

For the remaining two, a printed testimonial was fine but one must be a relative and one must be a non-relative.

Different stories at every station.

K213N

Wow guys, look at THIS keyboard warrior. K213N, if you spend a 20th as much time completing gun applications as you do moaning about the process, I'd be pretty surprised. You made a crap argument, I called you out on it, and now you're all defensive? Be my guest. Have a rubbish attitude in life. If you want the freedom to buy guns as easily as one can buy cars, maybe you need to reconsider your life's priorities. But it's a free world. Go be free, you do you.
Is there...something wrong with you? You made a bad argument and I literally explained why each point of yours was incorrect. You have no refutation for any of that and instead resort to name calling.

And seriously, the guy with over 7k posts on this forum is trying to imply that I, with less than 100, am spending time too much time complaining?

Accusing people of “getting defensive” when they completely dismantle your argument isn’t really a valid rebuttal. But hey, I guess it’s nice that you’ve let me know you have no actual response.

“Have a rubbish attitude in life” - indeed.

SoldierMan

Executive Member

He made some really good points to which couldn't respond, so instead you resorted to calling him a keyboard warrior. Maybe you should look in the mirror there chum.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
Is there...something wrong with you? You made a bad argument and I literally explained why each point of yours was incorrect. You have no refutation for any of that and instead resort to name calling.

And seriously, the guy with over 7k posts on this forum is trying to imply that I, with less than 100, am spending time too much time complaining?

Accusing people of “getting defensive” when they completely dismantle your argument isn’t really a valid rebuttal. But hey, I guess it’s nice that you’ve let me know you have no actual response.

“Have a rubbish attitude in life” - indeed.
*grins* Go check out my 7K posts, see if I waste my time engaging with people like you.

Foxhound5366

Executive Member
He made some really good points to which couldn't respond, so instead you resorted to calling him a keyboard warrior. Maybe you should look in the mirror there chum.
Nah man, learned long ago there's no point engaging with riled up peeps online. Like all people of his type, he moans about problems rather than focusing on solutions. It's a miserable kind of life, wouldn't you say?

K213N

*grins* Go check out my 7K posts, see if I waste my time engaging with people like you.
You responded to my comment, not the other way around. And you have now replied twice directly to me, with little to no substance.

Nah man, learned long ago there's no point engaging with riled up peeps online.
It's not the system's fault if you're too lazy to...
Wow guys, look at THIS keyboard warrior...
...if you spend a 20th as much time completing gun applications as you do moaning about the process...
You made a crap argument...
Have a rubbish attitude in life...
...maybe you need to reconsider your life's priorities...
Yep, one of us is clearly very, very riled up.

Like all people of his type, he moans about problems rather than focusing on solutions. It's a miserable kind of life, wouldn't you say?
Sigh. I explicitly told you:

The entire firearms community in this country has rallied behind the concept of "license the person, register the gun". The fact that you typed your reply whilst being seemingly unaware of this tells me a lot about your grasp on this topic.
You seem to really struggle with this whole "communication" thing. What's amusing is that after this whole bizarre outburst of yours, I'd much rather trust "Werner from the trailer park" with a loaded gun rather than you:ROFL:

SoldierMan

Executive Member
Nah man, learned long ago there's no point engaging with riled up peeps online. Like all people of his type, he moans about problems rather than focusing on solutions. It's a miserable kind of life, wouldn't you say?

Getting riled up online, not only get's you riled up but potentially get's other people riled up about it which could lead to action outside of the forum. Not guaranteed but certainly better than not talking about it at all.

Glock26

Expert Member
How can there be ANY stats about your firearm being more likely to be used against you than in self defense, when there can be ZERO stats about how many times the presence of a firearm saved the person without a shot being fired? How many times did the display of a firearm put off the criminal? How many times did the drawing of said firearm end the situation? How many times did a warning shot save someone? The tens of thousands of times these likely happened are not reported to anyone, so cannot be counted.
By limiting self defense stats to the times a criminal was shot, these stats are being faked. I've personally arrested 2, and ended 2 other crimes by the presence of a firearm. None ever reported as self defense. I assume many here too. In reality, SD happens daily that the cops are unaware of.

George Netherby

Expert Member
actually looks like you got schooled here. Soz.

Shango

Any recommendation for a good training provider in the East Rand for basic competency training?