All things Shelly

ebendl

Expert Member
Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a shelly dimmer and 15 normal GU10 dimmable LED bulbs?

Or 2 then if it is for two rooms.

Feels like a waste of wifi to have so many devices if in essence they will always act together? Yes you loose the RGB capabilities of course.

Looney

Executive Member
Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a shelly dimmer and 15 normal GU10 dimmable LED bulbs?

Or 2 then if it is for two rooms.

Feels like a waste of wifi to have so many devices if in essence they will always act together? Yes you loose the RGB capabilities of course.

It probably does make more sense getting the dimmer. But I do want the RGBW capabilities. I also want to be able to change between cool and warm white. I might not even go with the Shelly’s and go for the Vizia GU10’s from takealot and use the Smart Things app.

gbyleveldt

It probably does make more sense getting the dimmer. But I do want the RGBW capabilities. I also want to be able to change between cool and warm white. I might not even go with the Shelly’s and go for the Vizia GU10’s from takealot and use the Smart Things app.
These are RGBCW - it has RGB LEDs and in additional has separate Cool and Warm LEDs. RGB isn't that bright but the cool and warm ones are very effective. Just FYI.

https://www.qualitel.co.za/product/b22-smart-wifi-bulb/

ebendl

Expert Member
OK!

Different strokes for different folks... I have RGBW bulbs (not GU10s, just normal Edison ones) and I basically never use the RGB part.

I do however use the fact that I can change the colour temperature for the white, though, so that I can understand (which probably does use the RGB leds, so I digress).

Looney

Executive Member
OK!

Different strokes for different folks... I have RGBW bulbs (not GU10s, just normal Edison ones) and I basically never use the RGB part.

I do however use the fact that I can change the colour temperature for the white, though, so that I can understand (which probably does use the RGB leds, so I digress).

Yeah, my ceiling has downlights which are GU10’s. My plan is to just replace everything in my room and bathroom with the Vizia GU10’s, group them and then use the smart things app and alexa to change between different modes.

Will set me back about 4.5k roughly for all 15 of them lol.

maumau

Honorary Master
Has @ShellySA left us :crying:?

I'm not getting any sense out of Eddie at Nology.

Perhaps one of the guys here knows - is there a Shelly device I can have fitted to a Centurion D5 smart gate motor to allow me to open/close the gate from my phone - also to monitor whether it's open or closed?

There's a good app for the D5 but it's bluetooth so you have to be close to the motor for it to work.

gg za

Perhaps one of the guys here knows - is there a Shelly device I can have fitted to a Centurion D5 smart gate motor to allow me to open/close the gate from my phone - also to monitor whether it's open or closed?

There's a good app for the D5 but it's bluetooth so you have to be close to the motor for it to work.
Hi. You can use a Shelly one with a reed sensor. I have one on my D5 smart and it works like a charm.

maumau

Honorary Master
Hi. You can use a Shelly one with a reed sensor. I have one on my D5 smart and it works like a charm.

Amazing, thanks soooooo much @gg za

EDIT: Think I'll phone Eddie at Nology and tell him :laugh:

Last edited:

w1tw0lf

Sure you can follow a similar process as here: https://savjee.be/2020/06/make-garage-door-opener-smart-shelly-esphome-home-assistant/

linkinpark

Expert Member
They are only being released on 15 Oct.
I am trying to find out when we can expect to see a shipment coming in.
Looks like the Shelly Plus 1 is out already. Buying 4 works out to around R1225 excluding VAT and Customs. Probably about R1500 including, so around R375 each. R130 more than the local price of the old Shelly 1.
And the Shelly Plus 1 PM works out to around R1771 including for 4, so around R443 each. R40 more than the local price of the Shelly 1PM, this might be worth it.
Obviously, the more you buy the cheaper it gets.

AfricanTech

Honorary Master
Too clever (or not so clever) for my own good it seems….

Friend of mine brought me a few Shelly 1Ls (Shelly 1 that is purportedly able to work without a neutral wire).

Thought I could do some pre-setup by connecting the switch directly to a plug (red wire in L slot, blue wire in O slot) for configuration purposes - all good with the first one, LED on Shelly blinks, access it via it’s built in AP and add to my local network - named and added to future destination room.

The second one, I follow the same process but this time I pressed the on/off button for the switch in the app (I’m assuming that I passed power through the switch)- urk! Kapow- promptly blew the Shelly….eish

What did I do wrong? Should I not connect the Shelly directly in the way I did?

I see that the Shelly is rated for 4.1A max load (110-230V AC)

I’m presuming that I exceeded the Amperage flowing through the switch which is why it blew

Koorsblaar

Neutral / blue wire should go into the N (for neutral) on the Shelly.

I think you created a short when you connected it to the O (output) and then closed the relay.