All things Sunsynk (Deye, Inge, etc...)

So the bank is already a 10KW (2x 5) sunsynk. Not sure what the existing cable size is (think it is 25?), but might require additonal. I'll check the amps on the existing fuse, but if it was specc'd to the inverter size, we have an 8KW Sunsynk.
I'm assuming you mean 10kWh?

Fuses should be specced to cable size, not inverter size. Sunsynk are 1C batteries, so they can deliver 10kW, which is already more than the 8kW the inverter can use. I.e, adding more batteries shouldn't require changing the fuses or connection to the inverter. What is required is simply to add a battery to the bank by connecting it in parallel with the existing bank and then connecting up the comms cable. The "hardest" part is mounting the new battery to the wall - assuming you've got them wall mounted.

I'm assuming you mean 10kWh?

Fuses should be specced to cable size, not inverter size. Sunsynk are 1C batteries, so they can deliver 10kW, which is already more than the 8kW the inverter can use. I.e, adding more batteries shouldn't require changing the fuses or connection to the inverter. What is required is simply to add a battery to the bank by connecting it in parallel with the existing bank and then connecting up the comms cable. The "hardest" part is mounting the new battery to the wall - assuming you've got them wall mounted.
Yes yes, 10KWH :p

Okay, so I just got the quote for installation and it shows they want to add a busbar and redo cables, update wiring to inverter for increased amperage and extra fuse disconnectors . Comes to R9000 odd, which to me seems exceptionally exhorbitant or adding one more battery?

Anyone have a sense of what is a "fair" installation cost for adding another battery to your existing solar bank? Going from 2 batteries to 3.

I'd imagine there is maybe rebalancing and extra cabling and then the labour cost?
I had a third battery installed last year around August. I cannot really tell you what the cost was though because my installer listed it R650 but like most installers they pad the product price and make the install look cheap. The price of the battery was very inflated.

Last year I ripped out the battery cabling my installer used and replaced it with the cabling kits made for Sunsynk batteries. I also used the opportunity to cable my two Sunsynk batteries according to the manual and not the way the installer did it originally.

Cable Set Type 1
Cable Set Type 2

This year I puchased another Sunsynk battery and cable set. Installed it all myself. Hardest part is the mounting of the battery on the wall. The cable set makes the cabling part a breeze.

Anybody else having issues with the solarman dongle logging? I seem to be intermittently not logging any data for a few hours at a time over the past 3 days. Internet has been functioning perfectly for other websites at the times that the data is missing, so I don't think it's that, unless it's some sort of intermittent routing issue for the specific IP that it's logging to. I saw that the device was showing offline on the solarman website today and went and looked at the inverter and the dongle appeared normal, 3 green LED's that blink in some sequence.
Affected days looks like:
1. 11.30am to 4.20pm on 9 May.
2. 12.35 to 3.30pm and 9.20pm to 10.35pm on 10 May.
3. 12.30 to 2.55pm and 3.50pm to 5.05pm on 11 May.

I also had the same problems on 9 to 11 May as you had, especially at night.
I spoke to a few other people with Solarman dongle, it's certainly not a universal issue. I've been missing hours of data in my logs almost every single day since 9 May. I spoke to a guy at my work and he confirmed he's not missing data, I spoke to my cousin and he confirmed (with screenshots of days I was affected) that he's not missing data.

I didn't think the problem was (just) my internet, since if I'm home at a time that the website/app shows my logging device/inverter as offline, I can still load the Solarman website and retrieve data from previous days, and all other internet functionality seemed OK.

I decided to just unplug the dongle from the inverter for a couple of minutes. I also unscrewed the antenna and screwed it back in, in case there was a bad antenna connection and then plugged the dongle back into the inverter. It's been logging for about 36 hours since I did that, without any missing data, that's the longest unbroken stretch since my problems began. I'm hopeful that this has resolved my issue. Perhaps the Solarman dongle just got confused after running for so long (years without a power off), or perhaps my router got confused with the dongle always being connected for years (well, since the last time my router crashed and had to be rebooted).

Edit: 28 May 2024. Haven't lost any data whatsoever since pulling the solarman dongle out, reseating the antenna and putting it back in, working well.

Last edited:
Anyone else seeing less average daily PV generated than during the same time 2023?

I've been noticing this since March and still at end-May consistently less average kWh produced per day.
On average, about 3-6kWh less, per day.

8kWh SunSynk with 12 x 600W Canadian setup with the only change over the last year being 2 x firmware updates.
Panel placement the same, trees and shading even less than last year after serious trimming, but with worse performance.
Even though I expected no real difference, I meticulously washed all panels a couple of weeks ago - negligible , almost unnoticeable difference.
I also hoped that the slightly warmer Gauteng temperatures in April/May could be the reason, but now that we're seeing comparable daily averages than same week in 2023, that's also debunked.

Could it be that some form of clipping or limiting is happening due to more recent SS firmware? (or simply causing it to be less efficient?)

aaaand... SunStink server/app/portal/everything down again this morning. (or just me?)

aaaand... SunStink server/app/portal/everything down again this morning. (or just me?)

Down for me as well and I saw a few others report the same on social media. Our WiFi dongle only has a red light on, no green, our internet and WiFi are working though.

Flip, I was changing LTE sims at the office and then suddenly I couldn't access the SS portal - happened at the exact same time!

Current situation: Running the geyser at home and waiting for the Smart Life App to tell me the watts draw has dropped from 3300w to 3w, then I will turn on the pool pump, also remotely.

It is not lost on me that the uptime of my smart switches/breakers is better than SunSynk's backend.

Anyone else seeing less average daily PV generated than during the same time 2023?

I've been noticing this since March and still at end-May consistently less average kWh produced per day.
On average, about 3-6kWh less, per day.

8kWh SunSynk with 12 x 600W Canadian setup with the only change over the last year being 2 x firmware updates.
Panel placement the same, trees and shading even less than last year after serious trimming, but with worse performance.
Even though I expected no real difference, I meticulously washed all panels a couple of weeks ago - negligible , almost unnoticeable difference.
I also hoped that the slightly warmer Gauteng temperatures in April/May could be the reason, but now that we're seeing comparable daily averages than same week in 2023, that's also debunked.

Could it be that some form of clipping or limiting is happening due to more recent SS firmware? (or simply causing it to be less efficient?)

I've only had my system since July 2023, so can't say for sure. I have 12 x 550w Longi panels = 6.6kwp production. In summer (from Dec to Mar) I was regularly hitting 5.7kw to 6kw production around mid-day. I am now seeing peak production of only around 4.8 to 5.3kw. Clear bright skies. Washed my panels twice in the last 3 weeks. Didn't make much of a difference either.

I didn't have any firmware updates installed, as far as I know, unless it happened without my knowledge.

It's been bothering me enough that I washed my panels twice in the last 3 weeks. I would have asssumed that now in Autumn with cooler weather, my peak production would have been hgiher, or at least the same as summer production. Something isn't right.

I'm suspecting that the autumn skies are just hazier with less sunlight coming through. And maybe the angle of the sun is now different. All my panels are NNE facing.

Reactions: acp
Back