Alleged state spying exposed in new report

boxerulez

Expert Member
Pretty sure the goons on the other end of the line does not even understand 3/4 of the conversations they are listening in on.

Beri

Expert Member
Only the guilty corrupt criminals should be worried about this.

Hitchcock

Banned
A while ago I read some older posts here on MyBB where some users warned that they are being watched by intelligence agencies in things like phone and cellphone monitoring, etc.

Jannie van Zyl of vodacom strongly denied that authorities have access to their systems and a lot of other members on this forum also said those warnings was BS as it was not technically possible.

So, I think this article is also BS. South Africans are not being monitored.

MickeyD

RIP
A while ago I read some older posts here on MyBB where some users warned that they are being watched by intelligence agencies in things like phone and cellphone monitoring, etc.

Jannie van Zyl of vodacom strongly denied that authorities have access to their systems and a lot of other members on this forum also said those warnings was BS as it was not technically possible.

So, I think this article is also BS. South Africans are not being monitored.
You cannot compare what Jannie and quite a few of us were saying about every single call being recorded and listened to, with what is contained in this report.

Bugging of phones and listening to specific calls can and does happen.

Milano

Honorary Master
Within the context of what is taking place, this is a violation of democratic principles. The only people who should support this, are those who a wish to suppress constitutional rights.

Hitchcock

Banned
You cannot compare what Jannie and quite a few of us were saying about every single call being recorded and listened to, with what is contained in this report.

Bugging of phones and listening to specific calls can and does happen.
Probably so, but common sense tell me that proper intelligence cannot be performed if only single and specific calls are monitored. Proper intelligence monitoring require interception and monitoring of calls on a mass scale and identify specific threats from them.

But, hey, like I said, I am no expert in this field and just read up on a few posts here on MyBB. Was an interesting read though.

genetic

Honorary Master
Pretty sure the goons on the other end of the line does not even understand 3/4 of the conversations they are listening in on.
I can bet you that there aren't goons employed on the other end. ;)

MickeyD

RIP
Probably so, but common sense tell me that proper intelligence cannot be performed if only single and specific calls are monitored. Proper intelligence monitoring require interception and monitoring of calls on a mass scale and identify specific threats from them.

But, hey, like I said, I am no expert in this field and just read up on a few posts here on MyBB. Was an interesting read though.
I'm only referring to this article...

Swa

Honorary Master

It's not about monitoring a whole host of people to determine who's a threat. It's about people of interest who can be monitored to find dirt on them. Remember the spy tapes?

Hitchcock

Banned
It's not about monitoring a whole host of people to determine who's a threat. It's about people of interest who can be monitored to find dirt on them. Remember the spy tapes?
True, that is probably the reason for the misuse of their resources.

ChrisStar

Ah! These signs guys tell us we might be under dictatorship.

Last edited:

ChrisStar

Hey Beri those who where under surveillance & contacted on this article by Spy Agents where unionist not criminals, hold a different view than government fighting for it then you will know why these guys got spied on.

Last edited:

TEXTILE GUY

Executive Member
Obviously spying on the wrong crowd ,,,,

The ANC were caught off gaurd when the Guptas landed, when Xenophobia started, when Agliotti and Selebi did their thing .... and thats just a few of the incidents I can think of.

Rinkhals

Only the guilty corrupt criminals should be worried about this.
To be honest, it IS deeply worrying.

If Zuma believes that there is a campaign for regime change in this country, then he's probably right. Mobilising government 'intelligence' structures to counter these is something Mugabe does all the time, but something which we are (or should be) protected from by the constitution.

Recruitsmiths

Any thing's possible...when it comes to power mongering...I knew a very radical "old timer" poster here, years ago and he has since left, but not after telling me that he was getting "strange friendship" requests from non active MyBB members.

Come to think of it, I received one such request only last month from someone....post count was 2...:erm: