Allowed to drive through the night in December to visit family?

Splitcore

Hi all

As the title says, I want to know if we can drive through the night to go visit family in a different province.
In our current Lockdown Level 1, I believe we are under curfew from 00:01-04:00?
I could not find exactly what I was looking for when googling for more than 3 hours...

The thing is, we have two small children, and driving such a long distance during the day becomes extremely difficult with them cooped up in the car. Before COVID we would leave around 8pm, and arrive the next morning at our destination. I fear for my sanity if I have to drive that far during the day...

My father passed away last year just before Christmas, so would really like to go and support my mother for whom it will be a difficult time...

Airplanes are out of the question unfortunately. I've seen the airports, absolutely zero social distancing. Not going to risk getting exposed and then getting the older folks we going to visit infected as well.

Are there any forms/permits that I can get that would allow us to drive through the night? If so, where to download and get them stamped etc? Any other relevant advice welcome.

Stay safe all
Cheers

Dan C

Honorary Master
Did I miss from where you are planning to travel from and where to ?

chrisc

Executive Member
The airfares on Lift are very reasonable. Two hours gets you anywhere in SA (well, not in the sticks, but we don't know where you are headed)

Road travelling is deadly at the best of times, even during the day

zolly

Expert Member
Hi all

As the title says, I want to know if we can drive through the night to go visit family in a different province.
In our current Lockdown Level 1, I believe we are under curfew from 00:01-04:00?
I could not find exactly what I was looking for when googling for more than 3 hours...

The thing is, we have two small children, and driving such a long distance during the day becomes extremely difficult with them cooped up in the car. Before COVID we would leave around 8pm, and arrive the next morning at our destination. I fear for my sanity if I have to drive that far during the day...

My father passed away last year just before Christmas, so would really like to go and support my mother for whom it will be a difficult time...

Airplanes are out of the question unfortunately. I've seen the airports, absolutely zero social distancing. Not going to risk getting exposed and then getting the older folks we going to visit infected as well.

Are there any forms/permits that I can get that would allow us to drive through the night? If so, where to download and get them stamped etc? Any other relevant advice welcome.

Stay safe all
Cheers

No, curfew is curfew. You cannot be out between 12 and 4, or 10 and 4 depending on where you live.

I have two friends who can both drive who are doing the CPT/KZN drive. They are splitting up across two days. They found a camp site and are going to sleep there overnight to avoid contact with BNB/AirBNB staff.

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Until curfew starts at 10PM. And you can bet that cops are waiting at the entry/exit of towns and cities for stragglers.

R13...

Honorary Master
The airfares on Lift are very reasonable. Two hours gets you anywhere in SA (well, not in the sticks, but we don't know where you are headed)

He says flying is out of the question if you read the OP.

Tun@

Expert Member
Essential workers permit will get you around the curfew but might be a bit tricky to explain away with the whole fam loaded in the car

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I'd be less worried about the cops (they do not really seem to be enforcing the curfew much) and more worried about the criminals and their rocks/spikes in the road.

noxibox

Honorary Master
Still have to travel on those deadly roads where almost no-one survives as the airline only goes to three destinations. And ludicrously it appears someone who wants to go from George to Cape Town or vice versa would have to fly to Johannesburg.

Looks like that's not the case.

Splitcore

Thanks all for your replies/comments.

I went to a police station beforehand and got more info. As I thought, unfortunately there is no form/permit that would allow us to drive through curfew hours. Even though they understand the situation with the two small kids and had they the power to do so, would have given us permission, currently only essential workers may get permits and as stated already, would not be able to explain the rest of the family in the car even with the permit.
I also spoke to an Uber driver, who works night shifts a lot and drives during curfew times. Funny enough he said that usually when permits are required, Uber sends it to them but nothing has been sent recently and they have been driving without any issues (he has at least). Regardless did not want to take the chance.

We ended up driving to a halfway point and slept in the car at a garage (my back may never forgive me for this). Started driving again at 4am. The roads were good overall and only passed through one major checkpoint mostly pulling over taxies. Will probably do the same on the return trip (obviously depending on future lockdown regulations).

I'm sure I'm not the only one who prefers driving through the night due to circumstances, honestly I don't see the point of the curfew in its current state. Close establishments usually open during those times etc I can agree with, but it makes no difference for people merely travelling compared to travelling during the day.

Those are my 2 cents anyway. Hope you all have a lovely holiday season and stay safe out there.

Cheers

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
Stay tuned tonight on SABC when Uncle Cyril tells us the new laws starting tonight at 00:00

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I mentioned elsewhere that SAPS (at least in GP) are not enforcing the curfew. I was in a meting with several high ranking officials and they all mentioned that their stations are not enforcing it.

Aquila ka Hecate

Executive Member
Strange that.
I sit outside at night under the stars and can quite clearly hear the roar of traffic alnong Witkoppen at 2 in the morning.