Alternatives for sending and receiving international shipments (bypassing SAPO / EMS)

zaidmo

Hi.

Does anyone know of any alternatives to posting a parcel (not a container) from abroad to South Africa, that doesn't pass through EMS or the SA Post Office?

I've tried DHL but I still had to collect my stuff at JIMC / EMS and that place is in chaos since the strike (I had to visit twice, wait a total of 5 hours and was lucky to find it).

I'm asking because somebody would like to send a parcel to SA from either Turkey or Dubai, but I've advised them not to as I feel it risks getting lost or sitting at EMS for many months.

Are other providers like UPS or FedEX more reliable (will they deliver door to door and handle EMS complications)?
If the parcel was shipped by surface mail (e.g. land and sea) will it stand a better chance than air freight?
Can a company in the import/export clearing and forwarding industry assist?

I'd love to know your solutions?

HibiscusTunes

Expert Member
Mid September I received a package via FedEx IE ordered from China. Took a week from dispatch. No problems! Delivered to my work place.

ld13

Honorary Master
Mid September I received a package via FedEx IE ordered from China. Took a week from dispatch. No problems! Delivered to my work place.

Did fedex hit you with any additional fees?

savage

Expert Member
Did fedex hit you with any additional fees?

Any one would. It's called Import Duties & VAT.... You can't bring anything in the country unless you pay those (some small exceptions to the rule).

+1 for FedEx though, my International courier of choice for many, many years.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
I use aramex and UPS for my imports.

I do not have to collect it and customs clearance is almost instant.

Juledaniels

Try global mail through 'Postnet' I sent something to the UK a couple of weeks ago...no hassles

b0nesZA

Ordered something off ebay and its stuck in customs for about 2weeks, tried the call center but no one seems to man those phones. Anyone have any solutions for me?

sedigo

I ordered something from USA on the 4th of December 2014. I am still waiting until today. the post office number for tracking ask me to hold for the next available consultant for hours and hours. what should I do ? I feel like crying now. that was a very important package for me. Can someone help please