• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Two-Day Giveaway - Win a Google Chromecast, Branded Gear, and a Mystery Gadget. Enter Here.
  • Giveaway - Win a DiskStation DS918+ and Active Backup Suite from Synology. Enter Here.

Alternatives to Hetzner (poor business practises)

Gray1

After being a satisfied Hetzner customer for almost 20 years, and just a couple of months after an annual renewal, I've been given an ultimatum by Hetzner to upgrade my personal Micro hosting account to a Business account or piss off by 31 July. There was no explict warning from Hetzner that this was coming.

Apparently there no going back and no compromise. Their take it or piss off attitude and lack of loyalty shows poor business judgment IMO. Reputation and future business don't seem to matter to them. And changing the rules just months after accepting my annual renewal actually shows bad faith. But anyway...

Can anyone recommend a reliable alternative to Hetzner for personal web hosting and a couple of email addresses?

Thanks

chopsky

Expert Member
After being a satisfied Hetzner customer for almost 20 years, and just a couple of months after an annual renewal, I've been given an ultimatum by Hetzner to upgrade my personal Micro hosting account to a Business account or piss off by 31 July.
Why?

Gray1

Thanks everyone for suggesting domains.co.za. I'll check them out.

Anyone have experience with GP Hosting?

chopsky

Expert Member
Ah right, they discontinued those cheaper packages +2 years ago. I guess fair game when it’s no longer economically viable to provide a R19 hosting package, which none of the bigger hosts with decent infrastructure do.

Gray1

Ah right, they discontinued those cheaper packages +2 years ago. I guess fair game when it’s no longer economically viable to provide a R19 hosting package, which none of the bigger hosts with decent infrastructure do.
Not fair game really, I think it shows bad faith and dishonour to accept my annual renewal a couple of months back only to be told to upgrade to R1200/year, with four weeks notice this month. They obviously think it's okay and makes me think they could do that to any of their other customers any time. Not cool. The sort of thing Vodacom would do.

Jade @ ZA Domains

ZA Domains representative
Company Rep
I can’t say that I agree with their business logic but each to their own. We offer web hosting from R9 per month and it is most certainly viable. [MENTION=447070]Gray1[/MENTION] - please take a look at our entry level hosting packages by using the cPanel web hosting link in my signature.

chopsky

Expert Member
Not fair game really, I think it shows bad faith and dishonour to accept my annual renewal a couple of months back only to be told to upgrade to R1200/year, with four weeks notice this month. They obviously think it's okay and makes me think they could do that to any of their other customers any time. Not cool. The sort of thing Vodacom would do.
Fair enough. Not cool to suddenly force you to upgrade two months after paying your annual renewal. Guess it poses a bit of a billing quandary. Their biggest mistake is forcing clients to upgrade from R19/mo to R99/mo. The discrepancy is immense. Least they could have done is offer a more affordable in-between package, or better yet, gradually increase fees as is normal.

Praemon

Expert Member
Just make sure you stay away from ISP's that do hosting on the side like Afrihost or Webafrica. There's a reason why they're so cheap.

Praemon

Expert Member
What's the reason?
They're terrible. I've hosted on both platforms and the amount of downtime and incompetency is astounding. I also often see people complaining on Twitter about the same thing years after I moved off both platforms, so it hasn't improved.

Jade @ ZA Domains

ZA Domains representative
Company Rep
Just make sure you stay away from ISP's that do hosting on the side like Afrihost or Webafrica. There's a reason why they're so cheap.
I dont think the cost of their hosting packages is an issue or an indication of their services / support but rather where their focus lies.
There have been instances involving web hosting providers that started out as hosting only and after introducing connectivity services these companies may have neglected their hosting clients and focused more connectivity.

Gnome

Executive Member
Remind me again why using something like domains.co.za is better than just going AWS from the get-go?

Dirtdiver

hey're terrible. I've hosted on both platforms and the amount of downtime and incompetency is astounding.
2nd that, so i moved to domains. Its roughly a month and my wife did not complain just yet :)

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Remind me again why using something like domains.co.za is better than just going AWS from the get-go?
What are the average costs for AWS EC2 btw? The compute per hour is a bit difficult to estimate as I have no experience with it.