Mia_M

Hello all,

We live in a 2-bed sectional title in Lonehill, Johannesburg. We have a prepaid electricity meter. From what I've read, prepaid electricity is charged on a sliding scale and should be least expensive on the first of every month, but it seems this does not apply to us!

No matter what date we purchase electricity on, we pay around R2,50 per unit (we get 38.8 units for R100). We stay within 400 units per month, with an average consumption of 10 units per day - we are very conscious about our usage, turning our geyser off the majority of the day. We work full-time, and we are only home in the evenings and on the weekend.

So I guess my question is, how do we know we are not being overcharged? And how could we check this?

Thanks!

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
yes, everyone is paying too much for electricity.

who do you buy it from?
Have you checked the rates for your area with your municipality? We're in Ekhuruleni and pay about R1.12 per unit

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I am in Somerset West and buy R450 every month and get 214 units which works out to R2.10/unit.
Went up end of June, I was on R1.93/unit.
I only consume about R350 worth but i like seeing my units creeping up each month, as electricity is never going to get cheaper so when the tariff does go up again oneday i know i am still using last months electricity, and maybe even the previous month.

Mia_M

yes, everyone is paying too much for electricity.

who do you buy it from?
Have you checked the rates for your area with your municipality? We're in Ekhuruleni and pay about R1.12 per unit

Hi Silver

We purchase through Spar or the FNB app on our phones. Whatever the rates are, more than R2.50 per unit seems exorbitant especially if we do not experience this "sliding scale" that everyone talks about, don't you think?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Under the 600 kw threshold I pay R1.83 per unit under City of Cape Town provision.

No idea what it's meant to be for Jo'burg but yes R2,50 seem too much.

You should really only be buying electricity on the first under the threshold and only again when you need it.

Mia_M

I am in Somerset West and buy R450 every month and get 214 units which works out to R2.10/unit.
Went up end of June, I was on R1.93/unit.
I only consume about R350 worth but i like seeing my units creeping up each month, as electricity is never going to get cheaper so when the tariff does go up again oneday i know i am still using last months electricity, and maybe even the previous month.

That's still less than what I purchase, and we only consume around 400 units per month with no sliding scale as prepaid should be on. No matter what time of the month we purchase it's over R2.50 per unit and I'm not sure whether this is accurate.

Agent_Smith

Honorary Master
Live in Cape Town (West Coast side). Bought R100 on the 12th of Nov and it got me 78 units with an additional 50 units free.

Pineapple Smurf

That's still less than what I purchase, and we only consume around 400 units per month with no sliding scale as prepaid should be on. No matter what time of the month we purchase it's over R2.50 per unit and I'm not sure whether this is accurate.
I bought R50 electricity online FNB a few weeks ago for my one guy that works here from khayelitsha, he got 44.30 units, that works out to R1.13 per unit. Nice

R13...

Honorary Master
Some areas have different tarrif options. For example people who use a lot are allowed to select a higher flat rate which works out cheaper when you use a lot but not so when you use little. I'd check that if I were you OP.

Cius

Executive Member
In a complex, no pre-paid, we just get charged by the managing agent at R2 per unit. That is a slight overcharge on what CoJ charges the complex so that they can cover common property expenses.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master

How much do you buy in total? And how much do you buy on the 1st?

Also...are you sure your math is right?

Lupus

Honorary Master
In a complex, no pre-paid, we just get charged by the managing agent at R2 per unit. That is a slight overcharge on what CoJ charges the complex so that they can cover common property expenses.

Slight overcharge? It's R1.43 a unit for the first 500 units and then goes up from there. Also your levies are supposed to cover the common property expenses, the reason it's probably so high is because of the fact that the complex is always charged that due to the volume of electricity used, so they just divide that amount against your meter.

Neuk_

Executive Member
My girlfriends sister has just had a prepaid meter installed so I am keen to see what she gets charged per kWh versus what we get charged. Our per kWh charge is R1.18 which is low but we have R480 odd in fee's we pay before we even use a kWh which is massively annoying.

Pineapple Smurf

I just bought R30 for another guy here now at work,
Tariff description
30.6kwh @ 98.24 c/kwh
Less than a rand a unit

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
Go and chat to your municipality. Since we use solar, we only use about R300-R500pm and we're on prepaid tarrif a. R500 gets me 419 units, thus R1.19/unit. This price is limited to the first 800Kwh (if I remember correctly) then it shoots upto R4/unit? On tarrif B, a few years ago, we paid a lot more but it was a fixed price.

Migrant

Go and chat to your municipality. Since we use solar, we only use about R300-R500pm and we're on prepaid tarrif a. R500 gets me 419 units, thus R1.19/unit. This price is limited to the first 800Kwh (if I remember correctly) then it shoots upto R4/unit? On tarrif B, a few years ago, we paid a lot more but it was a fixed price.
I bought R500's worth online on TheMeterMan.co.za last week. Cost was R1.22 per unit, or R1.40 per unit including VAT. A total of 356.4 units. There seems to be quite a big variation between what people pay in different places.

Speedster

Honorary Master
this shouldn't be rocket science - download the tariff rate for your municipality / provider and then compare

RedViking

Nord of the South
For R600 I get 432 units. But they work in price brackets. If I buy anything extra for the rest of the month I'll get almost nothing.