Am I the only one who drives at the speed limit?

deweyzeph

Executive Member
So there's a whole lot of construction going on around the South Peninsula in Cape Town, especially around the Sun Valley/Kommetjie area. In these areas the speed limit is very clearly limited to 40km/h. Being the law abiding citizen that I am, when the speed limit drops down to 40km/h in these construction areas, I drive at 40km/h, as one should. However you would not believe the amount of people who get pissed off when you drive at the speed limit. I've had people hooting at me, flashing their lights at me, almost trying to drive me off the road, just for driving at the speed limit! I'm not sure what these idiots expect me to do? Break the law just because they're in a hurry? Anyone else notice this? It seems like it's getting worse and worse, as the construction drags on.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
Speed limits are just indication in cape town, nobody actually follows those limits.

There is actually greater chance of accident if you drive 40km/h, as most drivers will not expect you to drive that slow.

Turing

Don't you understand they need to get to the mall, now?

Don't you understand how important these people are and how valuable their time is compared to everyone else's? They can't afford to drive the speed limit or wait in a queue like normal people!

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Speed limits are just indication in cape town, nobody actually follows those limits.

There is actually greater chance of accident if you drive 40km/h, as most drivers will not expect you to drive that slow.
And how do you think that will stand up in court when you get charged with speeding? In Cape Town if you get caught doing more than 30km/h over the posted speed limit, e.g. 71km/h in a 40km/h zone you get a No Admission Of Guilt (NAG) fine which means you go straight to court with no option of a fine.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
And how do you think that will stand up in court when you get charged with speeding? In Cape Town if you get caught doing more than 30km/h over the posted speed limit, e.g. 71km/h in a 40km/h zone you get a No Admission Of Guilt (NAG) fine which means you go straight to court with no option of a fine.
First get charged.

Cape Town doesn't post speed limits correctly, you check what the traffic averages and set the speed limit based on that, reducing it by e.g. narrowing the road or adding stuff to the sides (https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/traffic/rules-of-the-road/article77315867.html is one of the first hits on Google, there is a better one somewhere I linked on MyBB previously where they added case studies).
Because they did dumb things like that, everyone is used to breaking the speed limit, and rarely is one caught, it's the driving equivalent of broken window theory.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
First get charged.

Cape Town doesn't post speed limits correctly, you check what the traffic averages and set the speed limit based on that, reducing it by e.g. narrowing the road or adding stuff to the sides (https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/traffic/rules-of-the-road/article77315867.html is one of the first hits on Google, there is a better one somewhere I linked on MyBB previously where they added case studies).
Because they did dumb things like that, everyone is used to breaking the speed limit, and rarely is one caught, it's the driving equivalent of broken window theory.
I'm the first person to agree that there are a lot of speed limits in Cape Town that are stupid, e.g. the speed limit is way too low for the road. There are a lot of roads in the south peninsula where the authorities have lowered the speed limit from 90km/h to 60km/h for no logical reason and where driving at 90km/h is perfectly safe. However, as much as I might disagree with the speed limit I still stick to it because I have no desire to either be fined or to land up in court and lose my licence. I really don't even care that much if other people want to speed, but don't expect me to suffer the consequences if by chance there is a speed trap operating.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I'm the first person to agree that there are a lot of speed limits in Cape Town that are stupid, e.g. the speed limit is way too low for the road. There are a lot of roads in the south peninsula where the authorities have lowered the speed limit from 90km/h to 60km/h for no logical reason and where driving at 90km/h is perfectly safe. However, as much as I might disagree with the speed limit I still stick to it because I have no desire to either be fined or to land up in court and lose my licence. I really don't even care that much if other people want to speed, but don't expect me to suffer the consequences if by chance there is a speed trap operating.
Yep, I'm just saying why most people speed. Create dumb limits and don't enforce, or when enforced it doesn't really matter as most can ignore, then yeah.

I'm still disputing a traffic fine that's 1.5 years old where I drove 81 on the R27, but it's the other guy who's overtaking me that's speeding and even my notice has their license plate as the offender, with 2 cars on it. If I can't get something simple like that sorted, nor ever actually receive a notice to go to court to argue my case, imagine all the people that just ignore any fines that come since it's never enforced.

garp

Executive Member
As self-righteous as you want to be about it - answer this hypothetical question honestly: would you obey 40 km/h construction speed limit signs on any quiet highway on a Sunday afternoon when no construction's going on, visibility is good and the road surface is perfect. If the answer is no, then you don't get to preach. I'd wager that pretty much nobody would.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Agree. The speed limit logic in CT is completely suspect. CT does not adhere to the guidelines on speed limits as set in the National Regulations, very often deviating downwards. This is a huge problem for visitors, who are used to what the speed limit is for a double lane suburban road with an island in the middle everywhere else in the country.

There are numerous examples in CT.

But, that does NOT mean anyone can simply decide to exceed a posted speed limit. What the locals should be doing is taking the issue up with the local authorities. For me, I stick to the speed limit. I don't care at all what other drivers do. They can hoot and carry on as much as they like.

akescpt

Honorary Master
speed are too low because it allows nice money generation for fines. you get many roads that's away from houses. no buildings either side. 60km\h makes absolutely no sense but there will be that nice camera sign informing you that there might be a photo shoot.

i also obey the speed limit off the highways. much to the confusion of others. not sure how many are going to help with my fines but they ride up my arse anyways.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
As self-righteous as you want to be about it - answer this hypothetical question honestly: would you obey 40 km/h construction speed limit signs on any quiet highway on a Sunday afternoon when no construction's going on, visibility is good and the road surface is perfect. If the answer is no, then you don't get to preach. I'd wager that pretty much nobody would.
I do obey it, that's the whole point of my post. The law says you must obey a speed limit, regardless of whether or not you think the conditions on the road warrant it or not. And I'm not being self-righteous. I simply don't want to get into trouble with the law. If other drivers want to, that's their business and they're more than welcome to, but don't expect me to. In your hypothetical question if you got bust doing 80km/h on that quiet highway in a 40km/h zone do you really think the magistrate is going to accept that as a defence? Not a chance. The speed limit said 40, you drove at 80, end of matter.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Agree. The speed limit logic in CT is completely suspect. CT does not adhere to the guidelines on speed limits as set in the National Regulations, very often deviating downwards. This is a huge problem for visitors, who are used to what the speed limit is for a double lane suburban road with an island in the middle everywhere else in the country.

There are numerous examples in CT.

But, that does NOT mean anyone can simply decide to exceed a posted speed limit. What the locals should be doing is taking the issue up with the local authorities. For me, I stick to the speed limit. I don't care at all what other drivers do. They can hoot and carry on as much as they like.
Another problem with construction speed limits in Cape Town, and all over South Africa actually, is that often there is not a cancelling speed limit after the construction work area is passed. For example, you're in a 100km/h zone, and then suddenly you pass a yellow speed limit sign indicating 40km/h, you pass the construction area, but there is no sign indicating that the speed limit is now back to 100km/h. This is problematic because technically you SHOULD drive at 40km/h until you see another sign indicating otherwise.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
The trouble starts when everyone including the authorities does not adhere to the rules. That is where the irritation starts. The authorities should also stick to the rules.
That construction problem is unfortunately all over the place.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
The trouble starts when everyone including the authorities does not adhere to the rules. That is where the irritation starts. The authorities should also stick to the rules.
That construction problem is unfortunately all over the place.
If you use Waze regularly in Cape Town, you can actually see how the authorities have messed around with lowering the speed limits all over the city. Often the speed limit shown on Waze does not correlate with the reality on the ground. They change the speed limits so often that it takes ages for GPS software to catch up, so you can actually see what the speed limit used to be, and it's always from higher to lower. Don't think I've ever seen an example of when the authorities have actually increased a speed limit.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
If you use Waze regularly in Cape Town, you can actually see how the authorities have messed around with lowering the speed limits all over the city. Often the speed limit shown on Waze does not correlate with the reality on the ground. They change the speed limits so often that it takes ages for GPS software to catch up, so you can actually see what the speed limit used to be, and it's always from higher to lower. Don't think I've ever seen an example of when the authorities have actually increased a speed limit.
The default speed limits set on Waze and other similar systems are set in accordance with the National Regulations.
There are plenty of inconsistencies all over the place. For example, a road that has an outgoing speed limit set at say 60 km/h, for km past the town boundary but the very same road has an incoming speed limit maintained at 80 or higher almost all the way into the same town.
Examples are Worcester, Touwsrivier, Lainsburg, Richmond, to name a few I know about. Here in Tshwane, there literally dozens of examples. One gets the feeling that speed limit signage is completely randomly set.

On the subject of traffic regulations and signage, CT still has to learn how to mark small circles and roundabouts. Most small circles in CT do not adhere to the correct signage for these either, which again places visitors at a disadvantage. There is only one roundabout I personally know about that is correctly marked and this is the one on the northern entrance to Bloubergstrand.

Last edited:

eg2505

Honorary Master
40km/h does seem a little ridiculously slow.
its for money generation, IE somebody got to pay for the chiefs new Mercedes or BMW.
so why not you, the law abiding motorist.

used to be quite a thing on the way to Sun city, suddenly the roads crawls to 20 KM/H for no apparent reason
and it you accelerate and speed up, here's your love letter to pay up.

used to be with the wires across the road, anybody remember those?