Am I the only one who drives at the speed limit?

garp

Executive Member
Just out of interest, it is unlikely that you will ever get a fine for exceeding the temporary construction speed limit for two reasons:

1. As I understand it, to be enforceable the speed limit has to be gazetted for every stretch of road. It is very rare that they will update the gazette for construction. (The only exception I know of was for the duration of the GFIP since it took so long).

2. Cops will very seldom place a speed camera trap in a construction area due to safety concerns, the difficulty of getting a clear line of site and having the camera in the prescribed placement with all the chevrons and temporary barriers in the way (and I think there might even be some legislation disallowing trapping in construction zones).

Toxxyc

Expert Member
On the N12 upgrade, they had cameras. If they worked, I'd never know, but I'm 99% sure I tripped one doing around 110 in their marked 80 zone. I have an opinion, and maybe it's just me, but I find it super useless to put an 80 speed limit on an otherwise 120 zone, and enforcing it, even if there is no construction, and hasn't been for days, with no workers along the road whatsoever. For days on end.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
Don't you understand how important these people are and how valuable their time is compared to everyone else's? They can't afford to drive the speed limit or wait in a queue like normal people!
Lew hangs out in Cape Town yeah?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Even if the speed limit cannot be enforced during construction, you could still be charged with reckless driving.
Why take the risk? To save a few minutes?

dualmeister

Honorary Master
40km/h in these construction areas
If you have seen what some of the construction looks like it would make more sense. There are detours with bends and barriers not very far apart making the the roads very narrow. 40km/h is justified at times.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Well, no, mostly because I've been VERY close to being rear-ended because people auto-pilot at 120 down those roads. I've also seen several accidents on that road because people stick to 80, when everyone else is doing 120. It's a problem, it really is. To me it's a big-ass risk doing 80 on that road. Bigger than the possible fine.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Well, no, mostly because I've been VERY close to being rear-ended because people auto-pilot at 120 down those roads. I've also seen several accidents on that road because people stick to 80, when everyone else is doing 120. It's a problem, it really is. To me it's a big-ass risk doing 80 on that road. Bigger than the possible fine.
Doing 120 in a 80 zone is an arrestable offence, you will not even get the option of a fine. You will be charged with reckless and negligent driving in addition to exceeding the speed limit. The people speeding are the problem, not the ones sticking to the speed limit.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
You should try being part of the solution sometime.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
On the N12 upgrade, they had cameras. If they worked, I'd never know, but I'm 99% sure I tripped one doing around 110 in their marked 80 zone. I have an opinion, and maybe it's just me, but I find it super useless to put an 80 speed limit on an otherwise 120 zone, and enforcing it, even if there is no construction, and hasn't been for days, with no workers along the road whatsoever. For days on end.
Muppets like you should be made to stand in front of the families of the road construction workers killed due to reckless drivers during that project.

werny

Expert Member
Learnt my lesson in Malmesbury recently doing 85km/h in a 60km/h zone on the highway, they are busy upgrading the highway and for some reason decided 60 is an acceptable speed when two lanes are available (at the time) and with very few construction vehicles around, saw the f*cking mobile speed trap when it was too late, R800 fine later.

At least make it 80km/h like they do in Gauteng when they have road works, the N14 being a good example currently.

bromster

Expert Member
What irks me is that when these clowns pack up their tools and **** off, they just leave the signs there overnight.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
https://www.insurancechat.co.za/2011-04/do-you-know-the-rules-of-the-road-at-road-works/

Many people seem to have forgotten or never have learned that the yellow temporary signs that are erected on our roads are in fact temporary signs and override the existence of any other road sign that may be in existence. They are not, in the case of speed limit signs, recommended speed limits nor do they have any form of time limitation attached to them unless a specific limitation is placed with them.

It makes no difference whether road-works are taking place at the time that you go through the area or not. It also makes no difference whether the day in question is a weekday, a public holiday, or a Sunday like so many people seem to think.

I know and fully understand your concerns about other motorists who do not obey the temporary road signs and speed limitations that are in force, and to be honest with you most of them do not obey the permanent ones either. The more people that do the better and I strongly recommend that you do not get intimidated by impatient and aggressive motorists who seem to think that the speed limit and other road rules do not apply to them. I know that this is a tall order, but believe me it is what I do and I refuse to break the law just because someone else does not feel that it applies to them. You should too.

There are technical issues that affect the validity of many of these signs and I can tell you that many of them that have been erected during the road-works have not complied with the prescribed requirements in the National Road Traffic Regulations and were therefore invalid, however the ordinary motorist must assume that a sign that is erected does meet the prescribed requirements and therefore should be obeyed.

Best Regards,

Howard Dembovsky
National Chairman – Justice Project South Africa

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Muppets like you should be made to stand in front of the families of the road construction workers killed due to reckless drivers during that project.
And assholes like you should look at my post and not make assumptions about me speeding past construction workers. That's exactly my point - there were no workers on that stretch for road for WEEKS. None. Nobody moved there, there was no equipment, no progress being made on the road at all. Empty. Deserted. Clean.

Toxxyc

Expert Member
You should try being part of the solution sometime.
I am. I was doing 60 on that stretch when I saw a guy coming from behind, at speed. I moved to the left lane out of the way when he slammed a bakkie in front of me.

rietrot

Honorary Master
There is no way I would drive 40km/h when there isn't some mayor visibility issue, like extreme fog or rain.

That speed is for going past schools when there's kids running across the road and for when you can't see.

I actually have a problem with people driving that slowly, in the OPs situation. It shows a clear inability to think rationaly(or just to think for yourself). Such people are not only a annoyance, but a danger to the rest of us.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
And assholes like you should look at my post and not make assumptions about me speeding past construction workers. That's exactly my point - there were no workers on that stretch for road for WEEKS. None. Nobody moved there, there was no equipment, no progress being made on the road at all. Empty. Deserted. Clean.
It's spelled arsehole. We use UK English in this country.

Daruk

Honorary Master
As self-righteous as you want to be about it - answer this hypothetical question honestly: would you obey 40 km/h construction speed limit signs on any quiet highway on a Sunday afternoon when no construction's going on, visibility is good and the road surface is perfect. If the answer is no, then you don't get to preach. I'd wager that pretty much nobody would.
You obey the limit because if you don't and end up in a freak accident, you were breaking the law at the time and are culpable. If you end up having to do 40kph behind me while in a 40 zone and your blood pressure soars, well sucks to be you.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
There is no way I would drive 40km/h when there isn't some mayor visibility issue, like extreme fog or rain.

That speed is for going past schools when there's kids running across the road and for when you can't see.

I actually have a problem with people driving that slowly, in the OPs situation. It shows a clear inability to think rationaly(or just to think for yourself). Such people are not only a annoyance, but a danger to the rest of us.
Speed limits aren't open for interpretation. If the sign says 40 then by law you have to drive at 40. It really is as simple as that. A rational person would obey the speed limit, whatever it may be, and however much you may disagree with it. Do you think your insurance is going to pay you out if you have an accident when you're doing 60 or 80 in a 40 zone? Do you think the courts are going to be lenient on you if you get bust at double the speed limit in a 40 zone? What about if you kill a pedestrian in a 40 zone, no matter how clear the road ahead may look and how much at fault the pedestrian was? Do you think a prosecutor is going to ignore the fact that you were driving faster than the law said you must? Personally I value my property, my freedom and my money. So be annoyed all you want, I will still drive at 40 in a 40 zone.