Am I the only one who drives at the speed limit?

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Do you even know what a freak accident is?

And let me ask everyone who advocates for ignoring the signs. What is the "reasonable" limit then, cos what you're suggesting is to open it up to opinion and if I think it's OK and safe to drive 260kph then bugger everyone else.
I posted earlier in regards how speed limits should be done, namely at the speed of the 85th percentile.

South Africa seems to ignore this rule and wonder why people got used to breaking speed limits.

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
You not alone driving at the speed limit apparently so does Zumas son

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
I posted earlier in regards how speed limits should be done, namely at the speed of the 85th percentile.

South Africa seems to ignore this rule and wonder why people got used to breaking speed limits.
Yes, that is what the recommendations say it should be, but local authorities are allowed to set lower limits than those set in the national regulations, not higher. CT especially sets the limits much lower.
The manual issued by SANRAL and others regarding construction areas reminds all that the limits should be set within reasonable limits as well. However, once again, that recommendation is simply ignored in many Provinces.
It is all about budgets and making money.

asshat99

Expert Member
Then I use my brainpower instead of horsepower, predicting a smarter way through the unused lanes and staying ahead of them. It brings me great satisfaction seeing their frustration.
Haha, but why don't you move over into those 'unused lanes' without playing games?

Toxxyc

Expert Member
Not that excessive, but I make a point of walking in front of cars when there's a pedestrian crossing and they don't stop. I also point to the stripes and the sign.

Not when my wife's with me though. She doesn't enjoy it as much as I do.

stroller

Expert Member
The bigger hurdle is that they are not allowed to trap within 300m of a change in speed. This means the temporary speed limit must apply for at least 600m. I would assume side-streets that are not under construction would probably also be considered a change in speed.
I still don't get this 600m part of you post.

me_

I still don't get this 600m part of you post.
You were correct with your reading of it:
I assumed that the distance was arrived at by being 300m after the sign decreasing and 300m before the sign that increases the speed limit.
Since the legislation doesn't state direction and all zones are speed limited, you can read that 300m after the first change in speed and 300m before the next change in speed can't be trapped so therefore the limited section must be longer than 600m in order to trap. It all depends on the interpretation of "speed limit zone" and it's vague enough to have an argument for it.