Am I the only person struggling with LTE?

Faux_Grey

Hey folks! Just making this post here because I absolutely cannot be the only person in SA struggling with these issues on LTE

I have 3 MTN LTE contracts, two of which I use full time (Supersonic Uncapped & Afrihost 200Gb) + spare 30G contract which I leave unplugged.

Every night, without fail, both of them will start going tits-up at the same time.
Screenshot below, fortigate WAN monitoring
You can clearly see the latency of both connections steadily going up over time, until they both completely conk out and no data flows through either link, even the LTE routers 'ping diagnostic' page can't get to anything. 1631643787789.png

This occurs on Afrihost and supersonic connections at the exact same time at the same rate as visible above.
Note the packet loss, note the latency. This is a simple ping check to 8.8.8.8.
Speedtest on each router gives me a maximum of around 600Kbps
Supersonic router is a B612
Afrihost router is a B618
Swapping them around makes no discernible difference.
My cellphone on MTN LTE gives me an easy 10Mbps speedtest with 2 bars of LTE.

Both of my routers have full signal, sit in a window and have near direct line of sight to the tower. the B618 even gives me 4G+!
1631644466958.png 1631644643949.png

I disable the wifi on my LTE routers, I directly cable my laptop into the routers, I still get terrible performance, there is no secret bandwidth hog eating all my data.

I used to easily get 60Mbps from both of these routers when I first signed up, now I can barely stay in a discord lobby without constantly disconnecting.

Why on earth is this happening and how can I get it fixed?
I am sick of struggling with this #%$% every single night when I just want to unwind and play some games and watch netflix.
First telkom, then Rain, then CellC, now this kak!

I will give my left big toe to anyone who can give me some kind of point-to-point connection and three big toes for fiber in the bapsfontein area on the east rand.

Edit:
Check out this speedtest of when it IS working.
1631648845440.png

#rant

Attachments

• 1631644159228.png
    1631644159228.png
    55.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

I.am.Sam

Honorary Master
its not congestion

im also on MTN

my phone gives me very good results on speed test but my modem gives krap

i swapped my modems from the older huawei b593 to the b315 and get little better signal

MTN also came out and put up a ponyting antenna but didnt help much

mtn signal is gone bad lately

bear101

Hey folks! Just making this post here because I absolutely cannot be the only person in SA struggling with these issues on LTE

I have 3 MTN LTE contracts, two of which I use full time (Supersonic Uncapped & Afrihost 200Gb) + spare 30G contract which I leave unplugged.

Every night, without fail, both of them will start going tits-up at the same time.
You can clearly see the latency of both connections steadily going up over time, until they both completely conk out and no data flows through either link, even the LTE routers 'ping diagnostic' page can't get to anything. View attachment 1147750

This occurs on Afrihost and supersonic connections at the exact same time at the same rate as visible above.

Both of my routers have full signal, sit in a window and have near direct line of sight to the tower. the B618 even gives me 4G+!
View attachment 1147770 View attachment 1147772

I disable the wifi on my LTE routers, I directly cable my laptop into the routers, I still get terrible performance, there is no secret bandwidth hog eating all my data.

I used to easily get 60Mbps from both of these routers when I first signed up, now I can barely stay in a discord lobby without constantly disconnecting.

I am sick of struggling with this #%$% every single night when I just want to unwind and play some games and watch netflix.

I will give my left big toe to anyone who can give me some kind of point-to-point connection and three big toes for fiber in the bapsfontein area on the east rand.

Edit:
View attachment 1147844

#rant
Im in Durban, have the exact same issue

PaulMurkin

EMPTY-N are having serious issues at the moment.. we're using them as a service provider for terminals in the field and the last few weeks have been very trying times.

AfriNatic

Afrihost Rep
Staff member

You can clearly see the latency of both connections steadily going up over time, until they both completely conk out and no data flows through either link, even the LTE routers 'ping diagnostic' page can't get to anything. View attachment 1147750

View attachment 1147770 View attachment 1147772

Edit:
View attachment 1147844

#rant

Hi,

Please can send me a dm so I can log it with MTN. They can advise if there is congestion issues on the tower you are connected to.