Amazon’s New Africa Site Draws Ire in Indigenous People Protest

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Dear my broadband writer.

Jan van Riebeeck wasnt a colonialist. He was a medical doctor that came here to start a half-way station (non permanent) to prevent the deaths of thousands of sailors travel between Europe and Asia (Suez Canal didnt exist)

Please get your facts right.

This is why poor JvR is hated so much. People that dont actually understand history and then make it up how they perceived it to be.

"
in 1645, he began to advocate a refreshment station in the Cape of Good Hope after staying 18 days there during his return voyage. Two years later, support increased after a marooned VOC ship was able to survive in a temporary fortress. The Heeren XVII requested a report from Leendert Jansz and Mathys Proot, which recommended a Dutch presence.[6]

In 1643, Riebeeck travelled with Jan van Elseracq to the VOC outpost at Dejima in Japan. Seven years later in 1650, he proposed selling hides of South African wild animals to Japan.[7]

He volunteered to undertake the command of the initial Dutch settlement in the future South Africa and departed from Texel on 24 December 1651. He landed three ships (The Drommedaris and Goede Hoope) at the future Cape Town site on 6 April 1652 and the Reijger on 7 April 1652. He was accompanied by 82 men and 8 women[8] and then commenced to fortify it as a way station for the VOC trade route between the Netherlands and the East Indies.[citation needed] The primary purpose of this way station was to provide fresh provisions for the VOC fleets sailing between the Dutch Republic and Batavia, as deaths en route were very high. The Walvisch and the Oliphant arrived on 7 May 1652, having had 130 burials at sea.["

Actually, it is Bloomberg writers, and they are relaying what the Goringhaicona Khoena Council is conveying.

Corelli

Expert Member
Well yes the VOC however was a group of companies under a larger umbrella. Although the larger umbrella collapsed a lot of the VOC still exist today. Just in other names, or well a lot went into banking.

GrootVoet

Amazon should just stay out of SA, we don't need their money or jobs, hell 30% of our youth already could jobs.

It's more important that we salute the locals that's still having wet dreams about defeating the Portuguese 600 years ago.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
So Vasco was the original MyBB editor?

In this instance it was the Great Dom Francisco, an accomplished Portuguese nobleman, who underestimated the natives. This incident did make the waves in Europe, and part of the reason that the Cape inland remained unexplored for many years. The story has also grown many tails, but it is originally captured.

The Dutch East India Company came better prepared more than a hundred years later.

They say the French would have taken the Cape should they not have gone through their revolution, which diminished their might at sea.

Say the Portuguese had stories to tell about gold, I am sure the Spanish would have opted to come here rather than the South 'Americas'.

boboudts

Yeah, my ancestors played on the driving range there. Also drank lots of beer. So did I.

20 million dollah and my ancestors will love them long time.
Wonder if I can make any milage out of suing Italy as their Roman forebears invaded England and build a fort on my ancestors land in Chester?.....phht, we either have an economy or lots of vacant land!

airborne

Honorary Master
may have been able to dupe my forebears, with the old dop system... this part of my family are woke... they prefer the gravy ... whether it be House of Traditional Leaders or from an international company that will throw some their way, just to keep quiet or go away. Seriously thought the whole heritage site commemoration angle was a nice touch to appease my ancestors... --clearly they reached out and laid out their concerns
From what I've heard it's the greenies behind the scenes stoking the flames, the main indigenous group made an agreement with the developer and it was all settled but when the greenies heard about that they went and found another bunch to complain and hold things up, or something along those lines.

I don't know, all things considered it seems like a pretty decent development. It's going to increase congestion but that's what happens in big cities.

Sollie

Honorary Master
Since Amazon 100% supports restitution in accordance with empowerment, they should give this land to the Goringhaicona Khoena Council as patronage and then appoint the council members as SA board members and pay them x% annual gratitude.

Because hey, the council wants to take custodianship, because heritage. It is already being done, not so?

What do you think, Bezos?
I think Bezos thinks why don't we do a "NY".

bots.jpg

Gordon_R

Honorary Master
From what I've heard it's the greenies behind the scenes stoking the flames, the main indigenous group made an agreement with the developer and it was all settled but when the greenies heard about that they went and found another bunch to complain and hold things up, or something along those lines.

I don't know, all things considered it seems like a pretty decent development. It's going to increase congestion but that's what happens in big cities.

These protests seem to be the usual 'rent a crowd', with a laundry list of grievances:

Sollie

Honorary Master
lmao they can do that… but the capies will cry as the all devs will have to move to an inland area. Also not sure on work visas wrt SA okes there albeit AU wants no restrictions longer term.
Heard Bots is not a surfer's paradise exactly. They also frown on the weed ... HKGK :p

Sollie

Honorary Master
These protests seem to be the usual 'rent a crowd', with a laundry list of grievances:
Speaking to the crowd, Imam Rashied Omar said, “Our struggles are intersectional; you can’t want to fight for the Palestinians and not the South Africans… all these struggles are linked”.
:X3:

envo

Expert Member
You beg for foreign investment and jobs, then you demonstrate and try to push them out when they try coming in.

Same thing happened when BMW wanted to build a plant in the Eastern Cape.

It's like South Africa WANTS to stay in the past and DONT want to grow and evolve with the rest of the world....

grok

Honorary Master
Oi my fok. It's back to blaming Jan again.
Shows you even way back then 3 small ships from Europe brought with it more automatic wypipo privilege than the whole continent of locals had
Dear my broadband writer.

Jan van Riebeeck wasnt a colonialist. He was a medical doctor that came here to start a half-way station (non permanent) to prevent the deaths of thousands of sailors travel between Europe and Asia (Suez Canal didnt exist)

Please get your facts right.

This is why poor JvR is hated so much. People that dont actually understand history and then make it up how they perceived it to be.

"
in 1645, he began to advocate a refreshment station in the Cape of Good Hope after staying 18 days there during his return voyage. Two years later, support increased after a marooned VOC ship was able to survive in a temporary fortress. The Heeren XVII requested a report from Leendert Jansz and Mathys Proot, which recommended a Dutch presence.[6]

In 1643, Riebeeck travelled with Jan van Elseracq to the VOC outpost at Dejima in Japan. Seven years later in 1650, he proposed selling hides of South African wild animals to Japan.[7]

He volunteered to undertake the command of the initial Dutch settlement in the future South Africa and departed from Texel on 24 December 1651. He landed three ships (The Drommedaris and Goede Hoope) at the future Cape Town site on 6 April 1652 and the Reijger on 7 April 1652. He was accompanied by 82 men and 8 women[8] and then commenced to fortify it as a way station for the VOC trade route between the Netherlands and the East Indies.[citation needed] The primary purpose of this way station was to provide fresh provisions for the VOC fleets sailing between the Dutch Republic and Batavia, as deaths en route were very high. The Walvisch and the Oliphant arrived on 7 May 1652, having had 130 burials at sea.["
Won't help you asplaining them that, they were burning classes instead of reading about history that day.

Speaking to the crowd, Imam Rashied Omar said, “Our struggles are intersectional; you can’t want to fight for the Palestinians and not the South Africans… all these struggles are linked”. :X3:
See, even then Jan was trebucheting lit black powder barrels over the Israeli border fence to kill & main poor innocent Palestinian peasant women & children just going about their lives fighting for their freedom & rights.