Amazon.co.za's underwhelming launch

Just another illustration of American business models not working in the South African context. Think Walmart taking over Game and absolutely destroying it.
Yep, Starbucks prices are ridiculous.
Popeye's is mostly at malls.

In the US they have Makros(Walmart) everywhere, since they drive everywhere & buy/ credit everything.
But they fail to understand that not everyone in SA drives & we don't want to buy everything at once.

Just another illustration of American business models not working in the South African context. Think Walmart taking over Game and absolutely destroying it.
Amazon has experience being successful in 3rd world countries like India and Brazil though.

Yep, Starbucks prices are ridiculous.
Popeye's is mostly at malls.

In the US they have Makros(Walmart) everywhere, since they drive everywhere & buy/ credit everything.
But they fail to understand that not everyone in SA drives & we don't want to buy everything at once.
Did they raise their prices?
Last time I went there M&B just raised their prices and Starbucks wasn't that much more.

Not really. A lot of people went to their pharmacy requesting their scripts so they can go elsewhere... Most came back to Dischem the next month.
Yes, but Dischem did change their story.
Anyway, this is not the point. You cannot complain about the ANC's management of the country and then support them and their cronies with your money.

US site has a vast variety of products to choose from. Also, most can be imported for cheaper than what is charged on their local site.
Another problem they have is the fact that it has now become common knowledge that Amazon is funding US weapons used to commit the genocide in Palestine.

Everyone knew right from the onset it would be underwhelming. South Africans are broke. They do not have money for luxuries like Amazon. It was a bad decision from them to invest in SA, but they probably did this on purpose for losses to save on additional and higher US taxes imposed by the Democrats.

US site has a vast variety of products to choose from. Also, most can be imported for cheaper than what is charged on their local site.
Another problem they have is the fact that it has now become common knowledge that Amazon is funding US weapons used to commit the genocide in Palestine.

What the actual fsck are you on about?

That has to be one of the stupidest things I've read in relation to the Israel/Palestine thing so far.

Had a decent enough start IMO, some solid deals. It's gone rather flat since.
I'm thinking (hoping?) it was more of a logistics test run before they go full throttle

Anyone have experience with their launch elsewhere?

First order from Amazon and it took a week to get to me. Delivered by the Courier Guy in their packaging.

Overall very meh

Ordered from US to RSA via Amazon and it took about the same time to get to me.

First order from Amazon and it took a week to get to me. Delivered by the Courier Guy in their packaging.

Overall very meh

At least Amazon stays consistent internationally and locally :ROFL:
My package took two days you probably had bad luck.

Overall very meh

Did you check if the item had a delay on delivery?

I ordered from Amazon.co.za at 15h00 and received my parcel the next day.

Did you check if the item had a delay on delivery?

I ordered from Amazon.co.za at 15h00 and received my parcel the next day.
Oh yes they told me it would take a while so I expected it to. I just found it strange considering the assumption is that it Amazon and I assumed it would be delivered chop chop

Back