Amazon cuts shipping to South Africa

medicnick83

Paramedic
I could never find anything that Amazon WOULD ship to SA :(
So, it's not like it actually did (as far as I'm concerned)

mancombseepgood

Executive Member
That sucks... I once ordered two CDs from one of Amazon's affiliates and got them to my doorstep within 2 weeks for R70. Musica wanted to charge nearly R200 each and a 2 week waiting time.

This really sucks.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
I could never find anything that Amazon WOULD ship to SA :(
So, it's not like it actually did (as far as I'm concerned)
Same here - at least nothing I wanted. I prefer to use a remailer anyway. :)

PeterCH

Honorary Master
Amazon would re-ship by courier if item was lost or delayed. So yeah, plenty of scumbags caught on and started claiming lost parcels, while probably reselling the
goods which arrived (which they lied about).

Amazon could have set up registered mail. However their shipping volumes are too big I guess, for a few dollars extra you get a tracing number and are required to show ID
when collecting. Such items could be traced. EMS is also an alternative.

The other thing is that Amazon could use their clout to negotiate cheaper shipping options from DHL or UPS. They are so big - they could in effect force these co's
to offer larger discounts.

Anyway - no big loss, other companies still ship to SA (they ship software too). There is nothing like $0.50 insurance
on a parcel :).

Other thing, this really puts us (SA) with the scumbags (Nigeria). We really are the second most fraudulent country
in Africa (probably the world).

Last edited:

PeterCH

Honorary Master
Same here - at least nothing I wanted. I prefer to use a remailer anyway. :)
Yes but who pays for a re-send if the remailer's package gets lost en route to SA? In the past Amazon would just re-ship by courier 6 weeks from
date of original despatch if item lost in mail.

gregmcc

Honorary Master
that really sux. Its hardly worth buying from ebay either - shipping is getting more and more expensive, thats if you even receive the parcle if those PO/customs scum don't nick it.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Yes but who pays for a re-send if the remailer's package gets lost en route to SA? In the past Amazon would just re-ship by courier 6 weeks from
date of original despatch if item lost in mail.
It's never happened but there is always insurance. ;)

Digilus

Sadly there are some dvd's out there that musica and kalahari just dont stock (or they stock the ugly wide-screen cut down local version of the discs).

To illustrate how sucky this amazon policy is:

DVD : 137 (twin peaks movie - which I wanted to buy this w-end)
Shipping: 557 !!! WTF?!

:mad:

Edit: Guess who is going to have to get friendly with the family in the States again :p

Nuxxy

This sucks! Yay for corrupt people screwing over the lives of the honest few, yet again! :mad:

PeterCH

Honorary Master
that really sux. Its hardly worth buying from ebay either - shipping is getting more and more expensive, thats if you even receive the parcle if those PO/customs scum don't nick it.
Found a (new) CD on Ebay (Ebay shop not individual) yesterday for $7.60 which costs $15.75 at Amazon.com.
Shipping (insured) is $7.99 which puts me at much less what L&L or
Amazon would want for this 'IMPORT' (it's a French CD).

$7.60 is not customs taxable either :).

Last edited:

gregmcc

Honorary Master
Yet again the SA public are being screwed over! When is this madness ever going to end!

PeterCH

Honorary Master
Sadly there are some dvd's out there that musica and kalahari just dont stock (or they stock the ugly wide-screen cut down local version of the discs).

To illustrate how sucky this amazon policy is:

DVD : 137 (twin peaks movie - which I wanted to buy this w-end)
Shipping: 557 !!! WTF?!

:mad:

Edit: Guess who is going to have to get friendly with the family in the States again :p
Go on Ebay. Find DVD, look at seller (look for "Insured Shipping for $1 or .50" extra)
and buy it there.... :). It'll cost less on Ebay too.

You know there are dozens of internet DVD stores which ship to SA
and which are 75%-60% of Amazon's price.

Last edited:

Cyberdude

that suck. It reminds me of the fact that South Africa is also one of a few countries not able to accept payments via paypal...

Nuxxy

Paypal does work. You could, then you couldn't, now you can again. It's not full PayPal, as it takes directly from your credit card and you can't get deposits, but at least you can still use it to buy stuff from eBay.

Cyberdude

I'm talking about the part where you can't actually use paypal to SELL stuff on ebay. I've used paypal many many times and its very convenient to pay but the part where you can actually receive funds from paypal suck. That too used to work but was teminated... probably due to fraud too

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
When I read the headline I thought it was gonne say that they were cutting the cost of sending goods to sa.

Sigh.

Another fail headline for today.