Amazon import test vs buying local from Takealot - Xiaomi Redmi 9A

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
maybe not on one transaction, but on numerous ones, maybe its possible.
or maybe its my paranoid fantasy as it always is.

Its your paranoid fantasy.

They're different types of transactions entirely and handled differently by the banks.

epah

Expert Member
Jees dude... like seriously?

Withdrawing from an ATM in Thailand is a very different concept to purchasing online from Amazon ffs. Its an online purchase. You may get contacted by your cards Fraud department if they flag the transaction as suspect in terms of its value or something of that sort, but its a very different kettle of fish to actually trying to withdraw funds in a different country.
Why even bother with him? lol

Intox

again, I heard that if you transact overseas with your CC a lot, there is a potential for your card to get blocked, as its seen as an overseas purchase.
I heard many stories of people trying to withdraw funds in an ATM in Thailand, and they get blocked, having to phone home to get their flight tickets paid.

I know I sound quite insane, but legit question, does Amazon and our local banks do this sort of thing, like blocking your card for things they deem outside SA?
like Amazon purchases and the like.

I mean they do it with Crypto, so is it a stretch for them to block you for purchasing through Amazon.

Dude common, I feel like you are trolling, especially since you brought up Crypto.
But anyways I have not had a days trouble buying from Amazon, my first purchase from them was in 2017, this year I have already done 3 orders with Amazon.

Jola

Honorary Master
Here is a real test @Jan :

The product is the TP-Link DECO M9+ Mesh WIFI System (3 pack)

Takealot has it listed for R 10 079

You can get the exact same product from Amazon for R 4 048 all in.

Yeah, some items are a lot cheaper through Amazon, I have found the same.

But you have to do comparisons every time.

Gudnews

Expert Member

WAslayer

Executive Member
There's no way to shame Takealot to lower the price? What's the most you'd pay for it if they did?
Not sure where you get the whole shaming angle from...

He was simply stating that the article comparison for a Xiaomi phone, isn't a real test...

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
again, I heard that if you transact overseas with your CC a lot, there is a potential for your card to get blocked, as its seen as an overseas purchase.
I heard many stories of people trying to withdraw funds in an ATM in Thailand, and they get blocked, having to phone home to get their flight tickets paid.

I know I sound quite insane, but legit question, does Amazon and our local banks do this sort of thing, like blocking your card for things they deem outside SA?
like Amazon purchases and the like.

I mean they do it with Crypto, so is it a stretch for them to block you for purchasing through Amazon.
No all that you have heard is utter crap.

I have about 5-6 international payments coming off of my credit card every month - and never been queried or blocked.

I also use my credit cards often when I travel (although since Covid have not travelled internationally for a while) and never had issues with funds or such like.

Saying that though I have unlocked my cards with my bank for use in certain countries (where my payments are and where I mostly use them). So if a payment tries to come off of my credit card in Pakistan for instance, the bank will flag it.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Banggood / Gearbest > Takealot

Who in their right mind will order Xiaomi items from Amazon when they reside in South Africa.

This article is proudly sponsored by Takealot
Agreed,

All My Xiaomi phones and items I get from Banggood.

I see they have blocked the South African addresses now from seeing the Xiaomi phones on the banggood website (I think Mobile in Africa is now the legit distributor in the country)

I then just get them to deliver to Hong Kong with my Aramex global shopper account and they pick it up and deliver it for me.

saying that though my last round of Xiaomi phones I bought for me and my son I got from MIA as their price was very close to Banggood and so just got it locally.

eg2505

Honorary Master
No all that you have heard is utter crap.

I have about 5-6 international payments coming off of my credit card every month - and never been queried or blocked.

I also use my credit cards often when I travel (although since Covid have not travelled internationally for a while) and never had issues with funds or such like.

Saying that though I have unlocked my cards with my bank for use in certain countries (where my payments are and where I mostly use them). So if a payment tries to come off of my credit card in Pakistan for instance, the bank will flag it.
this makes the most sense, as that was my question, if myself, who has NEVER traveled with these cards before
suddenly makes a purchase on Amazon, will it get flagged and potentially blocked, if no, okay, just wanted to know,

Sheesh some people jump to conclusions quickly...

JohnStarr

Executive Member
so it can be quite an expensive proposition, especially if like now its exchange rate is quite high.
but if you do it many times, can your card get cancelled? as your transacting overseas and that needs the bank to be notified.

just want to get this straight.
Yes and no. Not expensive all the time, and dependent on what you want to buy.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master

Athos

There's no way to shame Takealot to lower the price? What's the most you'd pay for it if they did?
@WAslayer is right. In my opinion the Xiaomi Redmi test doesn't make sense because the unit off Amazon was more than the Unit off Takealot, why would someone spend R 98.74 rand more for a device off Amazon in the first place, nevermind the wait.

To answer your questions as discussion points:

I wouldn't spend the time trying to convince them in the first place. I have a gut feeling that they don't care at all.

I wouldn't pay a pretty penny more than what I could get it for off Amazon.

**Edit: I have already bought two of these off Amazon.

Last edited:

Athos

Yeah, some items are a lot cheaper through Amazon, I have found the same.

But you have to do comparisons every time.
100% whenever I buy anything online (especially tech related) I have a list of websites I do price checks on before committing. I also take delivery time into account. If I don't want to wait for an item I will just get it locally and take the knock (if it is cheaper from overseas).