Amazon import test vs buying local from Takealot - Xiaomi Redmi 9A

FaSMaN

Expert Member
Honestly if you cherry pick things cellphones then yea Takealot will come in first but if your going to cherry pick:

WD Blue 1TB M.2 SATA SSD:​

Amazon: R1899.44 ($125.80)
Takealot: R4175

So more than 50% off when you get it from Amazon.

Generally I have found that SSD storage is way cheaper on Amazon, most stream equipment Elgato, Capture Cards, Lights etc... is cheaper on Amazon aswell normally by 20-30% as those neesh items carry steep markups here.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Honestly if you cherry pick things cellphones then yea Takealot will come in first but if your going to cherry pick:

WD Blue 1TB M.2 SATA SSD:​

Amazon: R1899.44 ($125.80)
Takealot: R4175

So more than 50% off when you get it from Amazon.

Generally I have found that SSD storage is way cheaper on Amazon, most stream equipment Elgato, Capture Cards, Lights etc... is cheaper on Amazon aswell normally by 20-30% as those neesh items carry steep markups here.
That Takealot listing is a third-party store though, not really a fair comparison.

Jola

Honorary Master
Yeah, I have bought a number of SSD's frrom Amazon.

Gudnews

Expert Member
@WAslayer is right. In my opinion the Xiaomi Redmi test doesn't make sense because the unit off Amazon was more than the Unit off Takealot, why would someone spend R 98.74 rand more for a device off Amazon in the first place, nevermind the wait.

To answer your questions as discussion points:

I wouldn't spend the time trying to convince them in the first place. I have a gut feeling that they don't care at all.

I wouldn't pay a pretty penny more than what I could get it for off Amazon.

**Edit: I have already bought two of these off Amazon.
How's your warranty arrangement?

Athos

How's your warranty arrangement?
It had a 2 month return period on Amazon no warranty from Amazon.

TP-Link has a limited warranty:

Limited Warranty​

TP-Link USA CORPORATION (“TP-Link USA”) provides a limited warranty on all eligible TP-Link products purchased in the U.S. The limited warranty covers failures due to defects in material or workmanship on devices, antennas, and accessories*. Packaging, software products, and technical data are not covered under the limited warranty. The limited warranty is only applicable to the original purchaser of the product. Proof of purchase and a complete product serial number are required to receive any services guaranteed as part of the limited warranty. The maximum liability of TP-Link USA is equal to, and no higher than, the product's purchased price.

The limited warranty does not apply to refurbished and reselling products.

TP-Link USA does not provide refunds under the limited warranty in any conditions. If the returned product is discontinued, TP-Link will replace it with a product of equivalent value and features.

Gudnews

Expert Member
It had a 2 month return period on Amazon no warranty from Amazon.

TP-Link has a limited warranty:

Limited Warranty​

TP-Link USA CORPORATION (“TP-Link USA”) provides a limited warranty on all eligible TP-Link products purchased in the U.S. The limited warranty covers failures due to defects in material or workmanship on devices, antennas, and accessories*. Packaging, software products, and technical data are not covered under the limited warranty. The limited warranty is only applicable to the original purchaser of the product. Proof of purchase and a complete product serial number are required to receive any services guaranteed as part of the limited warranty. The maximum liability of TP-Link USA is equal to, and no higher than, the product's purchased price.

The limited warranty does not apply to refurbished and reselling products.

TP-Link USA does not provide refunds under the limited warranty in any conditions. If the returned product is discontinued, TP-Link will replace it with a product of equivalent value and features.
@Jan It would be nice to get an article about the ease of executing a warranty claim on Amazon vs local.

emperornemesis

O've done some business with Takealot in the past, but I would never again. There are always stories when you want to return something, and I have caught them red-handed changing the warranty duration on products that I wanted to return. One example was a Logitech G602 mouse that comes with a 3 year warranty. I made a screenshot before contacting them, only to be told that the mouse only comes with a 6 month warranty. I sent them the screenshot, and after some silence, I was sent a store credit for the original purchase price. I have since started buying from Amazon, and found absolutely everything cheaper there (at least the stuff that I ordered). I will rather wait two weeks than buy from takeachance, I mean takealot.

Gudnews

Expert Member
O've done some business with Takealot in the past, but I would never again. There are always stories when you want to return something, and I have caught them red-handed changing the warranty duration on products that I wanted to return. One example was a Logitech G602 mouse that comes with a 3 year warranty. I made a screenshot before contacting them, only to be told that the mouse only comes with a 6 month warranty. I sent them the screenshot, and after some silence, I was sent a store credit for the original purchase price. I have since started buying from Amazon, and found absolutely everything cheaper there (at least the stuff that I ordered). I will rather wait two weeks than buy from takeachance, I mean takealot.
Shameful staff. It should be one of they core selling points. Oh well, let Jeff eat their pie.

Nuit

Also, Takealot has the worst service, and thinking you will get support if something goes wrong is an illusion. Everytime I purchase something from them it results in a problem and then I regret that I gave them yet another chance. We have several superb local online shops, but takealot isn't one of them.

kluejn

I would normally buy abroad if I can’t find something locally (takealot) but recently I couldn’t find a replacement battery for my dyson cordless vacuum cleaner and had to buy from eBay which took exactly 1 month but at least I got it

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
That has more to do with Takealot having 6 months warranty, the other 2.5 years are the supplier/Logitech.

Generally returns work fine on takealot, have purchased quite a bit from them.

AirWolf

Honorary Master

xrapidx

Honorary Master

MightyQuin

Not amused...
I'm not sure what you're getting at, the one you linked isn't the same as the one from takealot, and doesn't have the same "description"? It literally says Christmas in your link.
I apologize...you're absolutely right.

I did not copy that exact link into Amazon and then posted the results.

Nope...I decided that I am so bored, I am going to make this whole thing up just to antagonize someone I do not know, or have an reason to antagonize , on the internet.

As you were...

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I apologize...you're absolutely right.

I did not copy that exact link into Amazon and then posted the results.

Nope...I decided that I am so bored, I am going to make this whole thing up just to antagonize someone I do not know, or have an reason to antagonize , on the internet.

As you were...
Still have no idea what you're on about

091e294ad754ddf981ee679cb70f51ee.jpg