Amazon is hiring in South Africa with new offices in Joburg

EtienneK

Expert Member
Nice. Wife didn't want to move to CT.

Edit: Where are they based in JHB?

Last edited:

diabolus

Executive Member
Amazon has been doing the AWS thing in Cape Town for like the last 10 years, i assume the Jhb office will not actually contain the hardcore EC2 techies they generally recruit down in CT, but rather support/sales consultants....

Last edited:

Petec

Expert Member
Got a few mates, high up in CT, and some new ones recently joining.
This has been in development for a long time now, but a very well kept secret, with very little (if any) info leak. Very impressive that.

All I can say is, man, I would love to be able to buy plenty shares asap :)

Galactica

Expert Member
Wonder if these practices are confined to the US:

Amazon staff ‘cry at their desks’ and work 80 hours a week, investigation claims

More than 100 members of staff were interviewed for an eye-opening investigation into the culture of the online retailer.

Bosses are said to carry out random sackings to keep workers on their toes and staff even have a button in their toilets to call a cleaner so they don’t waste time looking for one, reports the New York Times.

Former marketing executive Bo Olson said: ‘You walk out of a conference room and you’ll see a grown man covering his face.
Link.

Sonic2k

Executive Member
Thanks for beating me to it... I was going to refer to yesterday's debate too, about working conditions there...

Galactica

Expert Member
Thanks for beating me to it... I was going to refer to yesterday's debate too, about working conditions there...

Yup, big story in the US!

Inside Amazon: Wrestling Big Ideas in a Bruising Workplace

The company is conducting an experiment in how far it can push white-collar workers to get them to achieve its ever-expanding ambitions.

SEATTLE — On Monday mornings, fresh recruits line up for an orientation intended to catapult them into Amazon’s singular way of working.

They are told to forget the “poor habits” they learned at previous jobs, one employee recalled. When they “hit the wall” from the unrelenting pace, there is only one solution: “Climb the wall,” others reported. To be the best Amazonians they can be, they should be guided by the leadership principles, 14 rules inscribed on handy laminated cards. When quizzed days later, those with perfect scores earn a virtual award proclaiming, “I’m Peculiar” — the company’s proud phrase for overturning workplace conventions.

At Amazon, workers are encouraged to tear apart one another’s ideas in meetings, toil long and late (emails arrive past midnight, followed by text messages asking why they were not answered), and held to standards that the company boasts are “unreasonably high.” The internal phone directory instructs colleagues on how to send secret feedback to one another’s bosses. Employees say it is frequently used to sabotage others. (The tool offers sample texts, including this: “I felt concerned about his inflexibility and openly complaining about minor tasks.”)

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/16/t...g-big-ideas-in-a-bruising-workplace.html?_r=0

Last edited: