Amazon is hiring in South Africa

neoprema

Expert Member
I find this interesting. For all the negativity we feel here in ZA, Amazon investing in South Africa is a good sign. Now if we can just sell-of Eskom, SAPO, SAA and SABC we'll be 1st-world in a matter of months.

Danie_V

I thought the US CLOUD Act rendered the geographical location of the data irrelevant? It triumphed with obtaining data from Microsoft's Irish servers. I'd feel a lot safer having the data managed by an EU owned company to be honest.

disiza

Just a heads up, the majority of these positions have BEE requirements, which is not mentioned, a friend of mine, my daughter and myself have applied for positions and where right royally slapped in the face by the BEE ...you are denied Wave file!! ;)

dunkyd

Executive Member
Just a heads up, the majority of these positions have BEE requirements, which is not mentioned, a friend of mine, my daughter and myself have applied for positions and where right royally slapped in the face by the BEE ...you are denied Wave file!! ;)
Just wait till returns are more than sales then they'll learn about AA kills Africa !!!

Slegdehammer67

False advertising I'm afraid - if your skin is the lighter-shade-of-grey you have no chance and I don't know why MBB chose not to mention that...makes me wonder though...anyway, but then - who am I to ask why but to do or fkucn die.....

Gudnews

An example of a typical shift is Tuesday to Saturday, 8pm to 5am.

Ironically enough the people who would be most willing to make this sacrifice don't fall in the demographic that has fibre.

Surv0

Executive Member
They have realised, they can save even more money employing South Africans at South African rates.

We have just taken on two junior guys in CPT, paying them USD directly, contractors, no benefits, work from home, and we are already looking to expand this little remote team.

To employ somebody up here in US or CA or even UK, we would have to spend a ton more. Business is business and South Africans want the work, people here, cannot be assed, no joke.

SAguy

Executive Member
An example of a typical shift is Tuesday to Saturday, 8pm to 5am.

Ironically enough the people who would be most willing to make this sacrifice don't fall in the demographic that has fibre.
yeah I was offered a job at Amazon a few years back. The hours were not great in the specific team I applied for. You worked either Sunday to Thursday, or Tuesday to Saturday. You didn't ever get Saturday and Sunday off.

No thanks.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Because it was mentioned on the job pages or that it should have been expected from a Level 1 company?
It is mentioned when you view the individual jobs.

It's interesting that even if you are capable of doing the job, that you won't be considered because of those BEE requirements.

My despise of BEE and any such affirmative actions remains the same.
Kak rules to force businesses to settle for employees that won't give better performance or capabilities.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
They have realised, they can save even more money employing South Africans at South African rates.

We have just taken on two junior guys in CPT, paying them USD directly, contractors, no benefits, work from home, and we are already looking to expand this little remote team.

To employ somebody up here in US or CA or even UK, we would have to spend a ton more. Business is business and South Africans want the work, people here, cannot be assed, no joke.

When I left SA I realised this pretty quickly. Hiring a junior dev in Aus will cost $60k min where in SA you can hire the same sort of resource for somewhere between 1/4 - 1/3 of the cost or hire an SA senior for the same price as a junior here. Looking at those costs you can put a whole team together in SA for the price of 1-2 people in first world countries.

America is even more complicated. The place I work for currently has an office in Seattle and even with very healthy salaries offered they can't hire anyone as they have to be able to offer perks on the level of Google, FB etc. Devs being offered in excess of $200k a year are turning offers down.

fdaniels

The posting says "Amazon is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas.".

It does NOT say that ONLY BEE candidates will be considered. Amazon is large enough that they can get their BEE quota from the unskilled sector. If you are looking for engineering or leadership positions then I would encourage you to apply regardless of you status.

|tera|

Master of Messengers

The posting says "Amazon is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from South African citizens who are members of designated groups who may contribute to Employment Equity within the workplace and the further diversification of ideas.".

It does NOT say that ONLY BEE candidates will be considered. Amazon is large enough that they can get their BEE quota from the unskilled sector. If you are looking for engineering or leadership positions then I would encourage you to apply regardless of you status.
Even if it doesn't say it. Doesn't make it false or unlikely.

You can only employ so many tea ladies or gardeners at a time.

This is South Africa. EVERYTHING is about some form of black empowerment. Even if you are a multi billion dollar company.

Gnome

Executive Member
This is South Africa. EVERYTHING is about some form of black empowerment. Even if you are a multi billion dollar company.
You have to realize they built a data center in South Africa which was a huge investment. They want a return on that investment. To get that return, they need to get South African businesses to use them. And South African businesses are themselves restricted in whom they can do business with because of BEE laws.

It is 100% about money.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
You have to realize they built a data center in South Africa which was a huge investment. They want a return on that investment. To get that return, they need to get South African businesses to use them. And South African businesses are themselves restricted in whom they can do business with because of BEE laws.

It is 100% about money.
I don't disagree that it's about money. That's the essence of Business.
It doesn't lesser or invalidate my point of view that black affirmative action is a farce which I don't agree with.

No one needs to defend Amazon. They are big boys. They can defend themselves.

I hope their recruiters hire based on merit and capability. Not by skin colour. Which isn't the norm in this country. As is seen.
Edit:spelling

Last edited:

Lupus

Honorary Master
When I left SA I realised this pretty quickly. Hiring a junior dev in Aus will cost $60k min where in SA you can hire the same sort of resource for somewhere between 1/4 - 1/3 of the cost or hire an SA senior for the same price as a junior here. Looking at those costs you can put a whole team together in SA for the price of 1-2 people in first world countries.

America is even more complicated. The place I work for currently has an office in Seattle and even with very healthy salaries offered they can't hire anyone as they have to be able to offer perks on the level of Google, FB etc. Devs being offered in excess of $200k a year are turning offers down.
Except now the quality of work you'll get out of said junior will be an 8th of the one you hired in Aus, as you would need to hire BEE.
And trust me you'll either have to wait years for the right candidate or hire someone who can just barely do the job.