Jay235

I've spotted some few items from Amazon that I'd like to buy. I'm familiar with online shopping locally but every time I look up purchasing from international stores, the words 'import duties' and 'customs' keep popping. So my questions are:
1. How does import duties and customs work on Amazon when purchasing items that are able to be delivered in South Africa?
2. What payment method should I use for someone who doesn't have a credit card?
3. Which is better: Amazon UK or US?
4. I know a few trusted people in the US and Italy. Would it be cheaper for them to buy me the stuff, then ship them to me and I'll pay them once I've received it?

WAslayer

Executive Member
I've spotted some few items from Amazon that I'd like to buy. I'm familiar with online shopping locally but every time I look up purchasing from international stores, the words 'import duties' and 'customs' keep popping. So my questions are:
1. How does import duties and customs work on Amazon when purchasing items that are able to be delivered in South Africa?
4. I know a few trusted people in the US and Italy. Would it be cheaper for them to buy me the stuff, then ship them to me and I'll pay them once I've received it?

* Amazon calculates and includes the amount on your total when checking out.. You therefore pay for it there and then when purchasing.. This is an estimate and may be more or less when the item actual arrives at customs.. You will automatically get refunded any differences that is less than what Amazon calculated.. Not sure what happens when customs and duties is more though..

* Some Debit cards work online.. My Standard Bank MasterCard does.. I have no alternate suggestions for you..
These are the accepted payment methods: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201132710 so perhaps you can find a virtual credit card you can top up with PayPal or something..?

* I have only ever purchased from US with no hassles at all.. I imagine it is much the same for UK.. What I did notice
is that US seems cheaper than UK for most items I have looked at..

* Probably not, plus, you will only know what your customs and duties are once the item gets here, and you may end
up paying more than what the item would cost locally.. Amazon may also get preferential rates from Couriers due to
them being Amazon(Just a guess but, plausible)..

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master

* Amazon calculates and includes the amount on your total when checking out.. You therefore pay for it there and then when purchasing.. This is an estimate and may be more or less when the item actual arrives at customs.. You will automatically get refunded any differences that is less than what Amazon calculated.. Not sure what happens when customs and duties is more though..

Just note that this isn't always the case, especially when using Amazon UK. The Global shipping option will include these costs but some items can be shipped with Standard shipping and this does not include the import duties and you will have to pay that once the item arrives at customs, so just make sure you look up what the costs will be in these cases.

Jay235

2. What payment method should I use for someone who doesn't have a cards work online.. My Standard Bank MasterCard does.. I have no alternate suggestions for you..
These are the accepted payment methods: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201132710 so perhaps you can find a virtual credit card you can top up with PayPal or something..?
I do have a standard bank debt card. Do I need to register it for internal online shipping or is it already good to go?

WAslayer

Executive Member
I do have a standard bank debt card. Do I need to register it for internal online shipping or is it already good to go?
In my case it was good to go without any extra hassles of contacting the bank or extra registration..