Amazon South Africa is hiring for more than 150 jobs

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Be aware, this is not a place for those who are faint of heart or don't want to work shifts. Its fine for young single people if they can handle the pace...
Speaking from personal experience?

superlekkerza

Nice. Hope they are hiring our local talents instead of brining in cheap coders from India/Russia

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
My experience is specific to SA, it was my wife who worked there, and she didn't last long.
1- They expect you, like any other Yank company, to work to the exact amount they're paying you
2- The shift work sucks balls and disrupts family life
3- Leave policies suck (expected her to work on Christmas day- was told either do it or there's the door)
4- Long, long hours
5- Arsehole bosses
6- No progression path, no real hope of going further, its a dead-end street.

I am too lazy to look now but there was an article on this forum where two chaps told everyone what it was like working there. They were telling the truth.

I've been interviewed etc by Amazon but I have declined both times, because of how the company treats its employees.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
My experience is specific to SA, it was my wife who worked there, and she didn't last long.
1- They expect you, like any other Yank company, to work to the exact amount they're paying you
3- Leave policies suck (expected her to work on Christmas day- was told either do it or there's the door)
4- Long, long hours
5- Arsehole bosses

I am too lazy to look now but there was an article on this forum where two chaps told everyone what it was like working there. They were telling the truth.

I've been interviewed etc by Amazon but I have declined both times, because of how the company treats its employees.
Thanks for the insight. I assume for a non-shift-based role things would be different a bit?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Ahh so there are 2 issues here.

1. CPT based
2. It's Amazon

I guess if you are young and currently unemployed or stuck in some random call centre gig that is not worth it then maybe this will be something.

They just keep on mentioning shifts and how good Amazon is but don't say anything about working conditions.

superlekkerza

4- Long, long hours
5- Arsehole bosses

Software engineer position?

superlekkerza

I would advise forgetting about getting a job at a FAANG company if you are not a software engineer. That's where $$$ comes from

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
Jeff spends more on his dick rocket that he does on backhaul out of ZA which is congested. Amazon employees need to learn how to use this: plunger.jpg

Gnome

Executive Member
4- Long, long hours
Point 1 and point 4 contradict each other?
If it is shift work you work your hours and you are done right?

Why is it so unfair to be expected to work the hours you are being paid for?

5- Arsehole bosses
Sounds typical of all shift work.
You are bottom of the wrung when you are working in a call centre.
It is pretty much unskilled work.

I doubt many McDonalds employees have much career progression or like the shifts they need to work.

#JustSaying

Last edited:

RedViking

Nord of the South
"I will rather sit at home doing nothing and complain that I don't have a job, than doing something that doesn't meet my list of expectations."
-The Entitled South African

Other Pineapple Smurf

Honorary Master
Thanks for the insight. I assume for a non-shift-based role things would be different a bit?

I'm being headhunted by AZ Engineering in SA again (no longer a brag to say that) and I'm already not convinced about their culture has changed.

The sticky point for me is remote working from my chat with them. Their response was while they are still remote, it's a conversation I would need to have with my manager. They could not give me any real answers.

From friends who have left Amazon, they all said it was great but they all left burnt out. If you can survive you will thrive.

Look, go for it as you might be the right fit. Even great companies can suck if you are not the right culture fit. I had that experience, an amazing company I worked hard for years to get a job at ended up putting me in hospital.