Amazon South Africa is hiring for more than 150 jobs

Gnome

Executive Member
I'm being headhunted by AZ Engineering in SA again (no longer a brag to say that)
Not to be a dick but they set up interviews with everyone that meets the minimum criteria of "software xxxxx".
It isn't the kind of company that only looks at CV and then boom they "head hunt" you.
The interview is where you skills will be determined, not your CV.

Getting an offer from them is what tells the true tale, not so much the, hey come interview with us.
The interviews are exhausting (been there). (1 hour on the phone + ~6 hours on site).

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Not to be a dick but they set up interviews with everyone that meets the minimum criteria of "software xxxxx".
It isn't the kind of company that only looks at CV and then boom they "head hunt" you.

Getting an offer from them is what tells the true tale, not so much the, hey come interview with us.
The interviews are exhausting (been there). (1 hour on the phone + ~6 hours on site).
The "on site" is via chime nowadays. I'm waiting for that one. Tech interview was a walk in the park.

Gnome

Executive Member
The "on site" is via chime nowadays. I'm waiting for that one. Tech interview was a walk in the park.
Tech interviews, there are more onsite (or were for me) :p (or probably Chime I guess)

If you've ever done interviews at a large scale in SA you'll realise how low the bar is.
99% of the people I interview can't solve duplicate words in a sentence.

EDIT: Also good luck with the "on site"

cguy

Executive Member
I would advise forgetting about getting a job at a FAANG company if you are not a software engineer. That's where $$$ comes from
I roughly agree, but the line is really at skilled vs unskilled. Packing centers and call centers are not great ways to start a career (I don’t necessarily think Amazon is worse than anyone else for these roles), but for those doing software engineering, hardware engineering, IT, sys admin, reliability, data center maintenance, software engineers, data scientists, those on the finance side, marketing side, etc., it’s likely one of the best opportunities in the country (and certainly right up there in other countries too).

Sinbad

Honorary Master
Tech interviews, there are more onsite (or were for me) (or probably Chime I guess)

If you've ever done interviews at a large scale in SA you'll realise how low the bar is.
99% of the people I interview can't solve duplicate words in a sentence.
f88b8e4e65563dc921acd93ced365522.jpg

cguy

Executive Member

Agreed. Amusingly there have been one or two people on this forum who referred to this as “receiving offers”, and then they “turned them down”. :)

What is interesting is that Amazon has a specialized sub-team called “Senior Engineering Talent Team” - for Principal and up. They reached out to me a few years back. I didn’t “turn down their offer”, but did decline to interview after I had a chat with them.

Also for interest (@Sinbad), this memo got leaked recently:
https://www.reddit.com/r/aws/comments/pbne2k

Surv0

Executive Member
Interesting. Please tell us more? What kind of role you had, etc... I am interviewing for an AWS role at the moment.

I dont think AWS is that bad. Friend of mines wife has been working with the devs for a few years now. Really good benefits, pay, travel potential, maybe even emigration potential to Seattle.

PaulMurkin

Expert Member
I dont think AWS is that bad. Friend of mines wife has been working with the devs for a few years now. Really good benefits, pay, travel potential, maybe even emigration potential to Seattle.
As a developer, and in a position where I am senior. I would not work at AWS.. because:
- Its a mission to get to leave when your child gets sick suddenly
- Sick often? Got sinus problems? Whoopsie they'll put you on "intervention" if you get sick too often
- Long hours, overtime is the norm rather than the exception
- And to answer the jibe at me about working according to pay. As professional people we tend to go beyond the call of duty. Amazon likes to exploit that
- At an American company, you have no real protections, you can get fired at any time. That is one of the main reasons why I avoid American companies and working for them. There's no job security no matter how good you are

If you are one of those rare people who can work like a machine without succumbing to burn out then Amazon is for you. I am sorry but where I work, family comes first, always.

Surv0

Executive Member
As a developer, and in a position where I am senior. I would not work at AWS.. because:
- Sick often? Got sinus problems? Whoopsie they'll put you on "intervention" if you get sick too often
- And to answer the jibe at me about working according to pay. As professional people we tend to go beyond the call of duty. Amazon likes to exploit that
- At an American company, you have no real protections, you can get fired at any time. That is one of the main reasons why I avoid American companies and working for them. There's no job security no matter how good you are

If you are one of those rare people who can work like a machine without succumbing to burn out then Amazon is for you. I am sorry but where I work, family comes first, always.
Friends wife sounds like she has a better deal.. but then she's not a developer. Had a kid recently, had really good mat options but yeah does seem to work quite a bit come to think of it, and made her travel quite late into her pregnancy. Shes doing very well financially though, but not sure for how long she can keep it up.

zoozi

Expert Member
Every new employee receives their own UmAmazanzi Piss Bottle® and a forced morning huddle of staff dancing along to a video of Jeff doing a gumboot dance in a loincloth.

Dan C

Honorary Master

You sound so special

cguy

Executive Member

This is very different to what I have heard. Was your wife a software engineer there?

Personally, I like the US work at will policies. It works two ways - you can leave whenever you want to as well. It’s better for those who do well and worse for those who don’t.

digitalp

LIE
LIE
LIE
LIE

superlekkerza

FAANG is definitely not for the weak.

GIGZ

I just want to ask, do the Basic Conditions of Employment not apply to them? I mean how could they not?

Messugga

Honorary Master
LIE

LIE

LIE

LIE
Yeah I also detect a fair amount of bullshit here. Cape Town treats their devs fine. Yes, sometimes you have to do support and whatnot at odd ours, but you get financially rewarded and you get to work on some groundbreaking stuff. And if you're good enough you get to retire by your early 30s.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master

My experience is specific to SA, it was my wife who worked there, and she didn't last long.
1- They expect you, like any other Yank company, to work to the exact amount they're paying you
2- The shift work sucks balls and disrupts family life
3- Leave policies suck (expected her to work on Christmas day- was told either do it or there's the door)
4- Long, long hours
5- Arsehole bosses
6- No progression path, no real hope of going further, its a dead-end street.

I am too lazy to look now but there was an article on this forum where two chaps told everyone what it was like working there. They were telling the truth.

I've been interviewed etc by Amazon but I have declined both times, because of how the company treats its employees.
Yours does not sound like a software dev position, it sounds like you/she worked call center or low end dev ops side at most.

Amazon pays well, they do force long hours due to work load, but their leave is fine. Everything depends highly on what team you get placed as it depends on what manager you get and what work. Last I checked, I still have 3 friends working as software devs there and one as dev-ops, all of them enjoy their job, but all late 20's or early 30's and were just renting in CBD/gardens etc.

Off the top of my head though, I can think of a good 5+ that I know that only worked there for a year max, all didn't like the pace of the work (more to do with either heavy workload or due to corporate) or that they were completely stuck on one thing/aspect, don't know anyone who complained about career progression as a software dev.

In call center, I know quite a few since German, lots there complained about not being able to get to manager level even if doing good work and stuff, and being exploited in terms of hours, with Amazon even going so far as to fly in people from overseas rather than promote someone already hitting "ceiling" and having done all the courses and stuff required.

And sure, American company, but you're hired in South Africa, they can't fire you that easily, they do do the warning system quite a bit, but again, call center, never really heard it software side.

Call center side, Amazon pays moderately well, with language bonus, and depending on what department or manager, workload can be fine, but it's a call center job; you do it because its shift based and you can do swapping so you can study at the same time, or you don't really know what you want to do with your life and it can be a placeholder to get to somewhere else, though people do get stuck in it.