Amazon voted most satisfying website to shop through

Sherbang

Executive Member
I agree with this, Amazon is definitely the best online shop I've ever used. In addition to their huge range of products, their customer service is really fantastic! I wish local companies would learn a thing or two from them about service.

Honorary Master
Locally, I'd say yuppie chef was the best experience to shop online this xmas.

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
I agree with this, Amazon is definitely the best online shop I've ever used. In addition to their huge range of products, their customer service is really fantastic! I wish local companies would learn a thing or two from them about service.

But they don't pay taxes in the countries they operate, or at least not as much. Hence that fantastic service comes at cost to the people where Amazon operates.

Honorary Master
But they don't pay taxes in the countries they operate, or at least not as much. Hence that fantastic service comes at cost to the people where Amazon operates.

What's this cost to the people where amazon operates?

Sherbang

Executive Member

I think it's a different culture. In this country, for example, I had a problem with a CellC voucher, it took them over 2 weeks to sort out, with Amazon I get a response within an hour, sorted out by the next day - even going the extra mile. For example, I bought an audio book from Audible (an Amazon company) which I didn't like and wanted to return it. Received an email the same day from support saying they don't normally allow returns but they've decided to refund my credit and hope I have a good day! My sister sat on her kindle and broke the screen, a replacement was sent by Amazon the same day! Same thing with PayPal - I sent an email enquiring about some money I couldn't access - within 10 minutes I got a phone call from PayPal, from the USA, in order to sort it out - took 10 minutes. This kind of service is just unimaginable in South Africa where you first complain for days, eventually going to hellopeter, just to get a response, never mind a resolution...

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
I think it's a different culture. .

Not necessarily. I use a variety of online (foreign) shops. Amazon is usually the best. When there is trouble they can refund your shipping. They can send you another item. Heck if the original arrives after they sent a replacement they say "donate it to Charity" or keep it.

But that's not the issue. Issue is that Amazon avoids paying lots and lots of tax in the US, UK, and EU. Those taxes help Amazon be so reasonably priced and allow it to sometimes give you refunds or send out double orders. Some people however say it's unfair of Amazon not to pay taxes where they really operate. The same thing is going on with Starbucks, Apple and Microsoft.

Merlin

Expert Member
Personally, it's the most complex shopping 'site I've ever had to use and I've yet to place an order with Amazon and not experience some sort of problem with it.

The 'niceties' are great, but if the fundamentals are problematic, that's more than a slight issue.

If it is at all possible, I generally shop elsewhere.