Amazon Web Services Cape Town region goes live

WAslayer

Executive Member
Do we know where the DC is or if they are using existing providers?
Three of them, spread apart.. there was a tygerburger article revealing the locations in last year I think..

Gnome

Executive Member
Edge locations in Jhb are almost certainly co-hosted. But internationally, Amazon has been moving away from cohosting. My guess is, people are all jumping on the, we can charge you whatever you want because you run AWS bandwagon which forces Amazon to move over to their own data centers.

WAslayer

Executive Member
What is the price of the cheapest EC2 per month?
Trick question.. the cheapest one also comes with limited CPU capacity..

Look at the the 't' series instance types, the cheapest but, beware the CPU limitations...

deweyzeph

Executive Member
Eh, going by reserved instance costs and at least in the region where most of our instances are located in the EU, it's actually a bit cheaper here in SA.

We have a few On-Demand EC2 instances in EU (London) and they are a bit cheaper than the equivalent servers in the Cape Town region.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Edge locations in Jhb are almost certainly co-hosted. But internationally, Amazon has been moving away from cohosting. My guess is, people are all jumping on the, we can charge you whatever you want because you run AWS bandwagon which forces Amazon to move over to their own data centers.

Edge locations by definition are in other people's data centres closest to the users and will continue to be the use case as that's their purpose.

AZ's have their own data centres and are never co-hosted otherwise they wouldn't comply to security etc.

PsYTraNc3

Expert Member
Yeah looking at the pricing calculator for on-demand instances, it's over 10% more in CPT than in Ireland.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
We have a few On-Demand EC2 instances in EU (London) and they are a bit cheaper than the equivalent servers in the Cape Town region.

I'm guessing things get cheaper the more the region gets used, so there must be some dynamic scale in play over time.

Obviously right now it's one very expensive warehouse with very little traffic going through it so costs a bundle to run.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Eh, going by reserved instance costs and at least in the region where most of our instances are located in the EU, it's actually a bit cheaper here in SA.

Makes sense to me that those would be cheaper as they have a 12-month contract if I remember correctly so you have lock-in of new customers at the new premises.

deweyzeph

Executive Member
I'm guessing things get cheaper the more the region gets used, so there must be some dynamic scale in play over time.

Obviously right now it's one very expensive warehouse with very little traffic going through it so costs a bundle to run.

Unfortunately due to the crash of the rand we're seriously looking at moving back to using self-managed dedicated servers at Hetzner. I love the flexibility of Amazon but damn it's become just too expensive to use now.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Unfortunately due to the crash of the rand we're seriously looking at moving back to using self-managed dedicated servers at Hetzner. I love the flexibility of Amazon but damn it's become just too expensive to use now.

If you are doing local only then yeah it's probably not the best fit.

Ultimately all depends on every individual need and the requirement for scale.

RetroRabbit

Damn, hope we can get some game servers locally at some point.

2ms :love:

View attachment 826935
This has nothing on Azure servers:
9320453036.png

Bazman

Most of the Serverless goodies are there :love: Lambda - DynamoDB - API Gateway, Rest, HTTP, Sockets - S3 of course - Step functions - SNS.

IndigoIdentity

Expert Member
Are you guys using Savings Plans at all? If yes, how is that comparing for you to RIs?

Not entirely sure about that as will only need to look at this in the next month or two as our reserved instances begin to expire, looking now though they don't actually have EC2 savings plans available in the new Africa region however this may change with some time as they likely just have to adjust things to accommodate for the fact.

To my basic understanding of how the savings plans work, they are technically more convenient than reserved instances in certain use cases but at a slightly higher cost (in savings) but I think that really depends on your use case as they are both advertised as having a discount of up to 72% over on-demand pricing.

For our use case, reserved instances seem to work out best given that instance types we deploy are fixed (with no changes required) as such we're only looking for the maximum discounted rate for the given term. We also use various reserved instance types such as with RDS/Elasticache/Elasticsearch Service which are not available to the savings plans which are limited to EC2/Compute.

That said, don't take my word on this as the information I have looked at varies between the costs being the same as RI's or slightly more.

Would be great to see some feedback on the savings plans from someone who has actual experience with them.