Amazon Web Services Cape Town region goes live

Gnome

Executive Member
Not entirely sure about that as will only need to look at this in the next month or two as our reserved instances begin to expire, looking now though they don't actually have EC2 savings plans available in the new Africa region however this may change with some time as they likely just have to adjust things to accommodate for the fact.

To my basic understanding of how the savings plans work, they are technically more convenient than reserved instances in certain use cases but at a slightly higher cost (in savings) but I think that really depends on your use case as they are both advertised as having a discount of up to 72% over on-demand pricing.

For our use case, reserved instances seem to work out best given that instance types we deploy are fixed (with no changes required) as such we're only looking for the maximum discounted rate for the given term. We also use various reserved instance types such as with RDS/Elasticache/Elasticsearch Service which are not available to the savings plans which are limited to EC2/Compute.

That said, don't take my word on this as the information I have looked at varies between the costs being the same as RI's or slightly more.

Would be great to see some feedback on the savings plans from someone who has actual experience with them.

Yeah I think you are right, it isn't going to provider higher discount, just more flexibility. So if for example a new instance type comes down the line where you can go for a cheaper and smaller instance type immediately instead of being locked in for the 1-3 years on that specific instance type with RI. RIs also have capacity guarantees which you do not get with Savings Plans, so that is something to consider also.

sydCPT

I have been tinkering all morning and managed to create a Lambda and an API Gateway endpoint, but for some reason I cant find the Region in API Gateway when I try and link the two. Assuming that its just taking some time for them to finish up getting everything live
Screenshot 2020-04-22 at 15.40.29.png

Edit: Did the link up from the Lambda side and now working nicely. Getting 50ms response time (with Lambda logic), from the Garden Route, which adds about 33ms for the round trip, so around 20ms. All in all, super happy!

Last edited:

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
This has nothing on Azure servers:
9320453036.png

I was only testing on a 200Mbit connection :)

IndigoIdentity

Expert Member
just more flexibility.

Yeah it's what was meant, bad wording on my part.

RIs also have capacity guarantees which you do not get with Savings Plans, so that is something to consider also.

That's indeed a good point.

if for example a new instance type comes down the line where you can go for a cheaper and smaller instance type immediately instead of being locked in for the 1-3 years on that specific instance type with RI.

What I don't really understand myself is if you commit to a fixed hourly cost and your costs become less, then what becomes of the excess paid vs actual usage costs?

hammell

Yeah EC2 may be pricey but services like S3 and Glacier are still cheap. And moving up the stack things become pretty useful even if paid in dollars...

cda

Yeah looking at the pricing calculator for on-demand instances, it's over 10% more in CPT than in Ireland.
Not surprising since electricity is so expensive, as well as high import duties on the server equipment.

McGuywer

Executive Member
Not surprising since electricity is so expensive, as well as high import duties on the server equipment.
Do they pay import tax? Only moving equipment from one “office” to the other “office”?

Aquadyne

Expert Member
Work from Home Offer
Beginning April 1st, we are offering Amazon WorkSpaces for up to 50 users at no charge for new WorkSpaces customers, offer available through June 30, 2020. This offer will include our Standard, Value, and Performance bundles. To learn more about this offer, see the Free Tier section.

Free Tier
The Amazon WorkSpaces Free Tier provides two Standard bundle WorkSpaces with 80 GB Root and 50 GB User volumes, running in AutoStop mode, for up to 40 hours of combined use per month, for two calendar months, from the time you create your first WorkSpace. Usage time accrues while you’re actively using your WorkSpace as well as the time it takes to stop after a specified period of inactivity, which by default is set to one hour. If you exceed the Free Tier limits, you will be charged the standard Amazon WorkSpaces hourly rate for the additional resources you use. At the end of two calendar months, the WorkSpaces you launched in the Free Tier will automatically be billed at the applicable hourly rate.
For a limited time, in response to COVID-19, starting April 1, 2020 through June 30, 2020, Amazon WorkSpaces Free Tier provides up to 50 WorkSpaces with Windows Standard bundle with 80 GB Root and 50 GB User Volumes, running in AutoStop mode for up to 10,000 hours of combined use per month across all AWS Regions where WorkSpaces Free Tier is currently available. Additionally, the Amazon WorkSpaces Free Tier provides one WorkSpace with Windows Performance bundle with 80 GB Root and 100 GB User Volumes, running in AutoStop mode for up to 200 hours, two WorkSpaces with Linux Standard bundle with 80 GB Root and 50 GB User Volumes, running in AutoStop mode for up to 400 hours, and one WorkSpace with Windows Value bundle with 80 GB Root and 10 GB User Volume, running in AutoStop mode for up to 200 hours. All new customers that start using WorkSpaces for the first time during this period from their AWS account are eligible for the Free Tier.

https://aws.amazon.com/workspaces/pricing/

krycor

Honorary Master
Unfortunately due to the crash of the rand we're seriously looking at moving back to using self-managed dedicated servers at Hetzner. I love the flexibility of Amazon but damn it's become just too expensive to use now.

And this is why Amazon tech is awesome.. but when country’s currency devalues.. those skills go the way of the dodo as I’ve seen in Africa because cost predictability if a service for local market.

FrankyF

Expert Member
Work from Home Offer
Beginning April 1st, we are offering Amazon WorkSpaces for up to 50 users at no charge for new WorkSpaces customers, offer available through June 30, 2020. This offer will include our Standard, Value, and Performance bundles. To learn more about this offer, see the Free Tier section.

Free Tier
The Amazon WorkSpaces Free Tier provides two Standard bundle WorkSpaces with 80 GB Root and 50 GB User volumes, running in AutoStop mode, for up to 40 hours of combined use per month, for two calendar months, from the time you create your first WorkSpace. Usage time accrues while you’re actively using your WorkSpace as well as the time it takes to stop after a specified period of inactivity, which by default is set to one hour. If you exceed the Free Tier limits, you will be charged the standard Amazon WorkSpaces hourly rate for the additional resources you use. At the end of two calendar months, the WorkSpaces you launched in the Free Tier will automatically be billed at the applicable hourly rate.
For a limited time, in response to COVID-19, starting April 1, 2020 through June 30, 2020, Amazon WorkSpaces Free Tier provides up to 50 WorkSpaces with Windows Standard bundle with 80 GB Root and 50 GB User Volumes, running in AutoStop mode for up to 10,000 hours of combined use per month across all AWS Regions where WorkSpaces Free Tier is currently available. Additionally, the Amazon WorkSpaces Free Tier provides one WorkSpace with Windows Performance bundle with 80 GB Root and 100 GB User Volumes, running in AutoStop mode for up to 200 hours, two WorkSpaces with Linux Standard bundle with 80 GB Root and 50 GB User Volumes, running in AutoStop mode for up to 400 hours, and one WorkSpace with Windows Value bundle with 80 GB Root and 10 GB User Volume, running in AutoStop mode for up to 200 hours. All new customers that start using WorkSpaces for the first time during this period from their AWS account are eligible for the Free Tier.

Heads up.

WorkSpaces is not yet available in CPT region.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I would imagine the overall cost of supplying electricity (with load-shedding) is higher in South Africa

Not really, they have backup systems in place as if load shedding is happening in all other regions.

These data centres are designed to keep going in the worst disasters.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Work from Home Offer

Free Tier

Wonder if I can play Magic The Gathering : Arena on my Mac this way. :)

Aquadyne

Expert Member
Heads up.

WorkSpaces is not yet available in CPT region.
Yeah, you can use London or Ireland as you nearest location. Still great value, especially for small businesses that transitioned to Work from Home.