Amazon Web Services Cape Town region goes live

Gnome

Executive Member
Unfortunately due to the crash of the rand we're seriously looking at moving back to using self-managed dedicated servers at Hetzner. I love the flexibility of Amazon but damn it's become just too expensive to use now.

With a self managed host you need to constantly update your machine & monitor hardware conditions.
Unless of course you don't care about security and availability, which I guess in SA is quite common.

On a cloud provider, you just use a base AMI that has the software you need and rotate your fleet.
That way you never need to worry about updates.

We successfully run our own fleets this way and we aren't more than 2 weeks out of date with security updates.
We tried before doing updates manually, but some downtime was caused by updates going bad or old hardware going bad.

It also means we don't need people to SSH to hosts anymore.

Overall for any company with any significant customer base, it is a no-brainer moving away from dedicated IMO.

_kabal_

Expert Member
No, it isn't.

well a quick google shows the cost per kWh to be anywhere between 10 and 20 euro cents

Using my basic multiplication skills puts those numbers at more than the R1.10 - R1.20 per kWh

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
well a quick google shows the cost per kWh to be anywhere between 10 and 20 euro cents

Using my basic multiplication skills puts those numbers at more than the R1.10 - R1.20 per kWh
1588000176275.png

That was last year before the 8-16% increase, though we might be cheaper again as rand/dollar fell so badly (we shoud be matching US before rand drop, currency conversion seems to be done as of when you visit the page).

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Apparently its just around the corner from me

(deliberately vague answer)

Old Viglietti Building, Roeland Street - Around the corner from the Development/Contact Center ini Gardens(Wembly Square)

_kabal_

Expert Member
I haven't paid that little in 7+ years

yah. Epic fail on those numbers by me

but still even, at the upper limits with the recent exchange rates its cheaper or as cheap here, not more expensive

cda

View attachment 830069

That was last year before the 8-16% increase, though we might be cheaper again as rand/dollar fell so badly (we shoud be matching US before rand drop, currency conversion seems to be done as of when you visit the page).

Two key issues, one is bulk supply which you can't compare on domestic prices, and load shedding which is obviously not acceptable to a datacenter.

In Ireland, current wholesale cost is around 37 EUR per Megawatt/hour - so around R0.80 per kWh. Already lower than Eskom base tariff for bulk supply.

Now throw in the fact that you need redundancy because Eskom can't actually gurantee the supply so your datacenter must have generators as backup (although this is not unusually for any datacenter), they must have diesel stock constantly because you can't rely on on a JIT delivery contract how ever many promises people make. In other countries there are piped natural gas so you can burn that in turbines which is more efficient and cheaper and doesn't require having a big stockpile of flammable dinosaurs on site that can go mouldy if not used.

And of course in order to qualify as Tier 1 you have can't have a single provider anyway, so you want some other constant bulk source on site like PV which can directly supply your UPS batteries and save a fortune.

But of course, in SA you can't sell back your energy to the grid so your cost of a PV installation is way higher to offset.

Now your datacenter is basically paying double to triple the average basic supply cost with no way to offset than pass onto the customers directly.

This lack also means energy density in SA datacenters tends to be much lower, say 5kW per rack, although I've seen as low as 3 in some more useless ones so you have to spread out more which increases costs. This is because either the municipality or Eskom, or you, must have the infrastructure to actually get that much power to a place. This is not your moms kitchen after all, you need a lot more than the 60A breaker your local transformer can provide.

SA is also obviously warmer most of the time so air conditioning runs more, costs more etc, also needs backup power. The cycle goes on and on.

Last edited:

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Cloudfront has been serving from local EDGE locations in CPT/JHB for a couple of months now.

That's intersting. I came in to comment that I have people in SA that were testing some of our stuff but they reported far worse speeds than we were getting. This was about 6 months ago so not sure if the edge locations were up then.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Is there a fast and hassle free way to switch an AWS SES - service to the CPT region?

WAslayer

Executive Member
Is there a fast and hassle free way to switch an AWS SES - service to the CPT region?
SES is not yet available in the CPT region..

To answer your question though, no.. It requires you to verify your domain/email address again, create a new SMTP user (if sending over SMTP) and all other configurations, including requesting a limit increase to move from sandbox.. Essentially you have to start from scratch..

|tera|

Master of Messengers
SES is not yet available in the CPT region..

To answer your question though, no.. It requires you to verify your domain/email address again, create a new SMTP user (if sending over SMTP) and all other configurations, including requesting a limit increase to move from sandbox.. Essentially you have to start from scratch..
Thanks for the response.
I appreciate your help.