Amazon's AWS data centres for South Africa coming soon

Hanno Labuschagne

Expert Member
Staff member
Amazon's AWS data centres for South Africa coming soon

Amazon has said that its plans to launch an Amazon Web Services (AWS) Region for Africa in Cape Town are still on track. The company’s infrastructure region in Cape Town is scheduled to launch during the first half of 2020.

Amazon gave an update on its Cape Town data centres during a media event regarding cloud security in Amazon Web Services.

When asked about plans to set up an infrastructure region in Johannesburg, Amazon said that its doesn’t have further plans that it can share.

waylander

Expert Member
so we might finally get our own fortnite servers? long live bezos

S1ght

Expert Member
Or even PUBG, the lag ruins the game so hard.
Had to do some quick Googling for this 1 but apparently PUBG runs on both AWS and Azure. Considering Azure has a South Africa region, I can't imagine a new AWS region in SA would make a difference here since if they wanted to have servers in SA, they already can do that.

Stevewarren

Had to do some quick Googling for this 1 but apparently PUBG runs on both AWS and Azure. Considering Azure has a South Africa region, I can't imagine a new AWS region in SA would make a difference here since if they wanted to have servers in SA, they already can do that.

Apperently Azure ain't ready for games yet according to the developers of Siege.

StevenC

Expert Member
Been patiently waiting for the AWS data centers to launch in SA, so many games that can finally get local servers. Even though D4 is a long way off, I have hopes that they choose to run on AWS, similar to Overwatch. As we have to be online all the time, I would much rather do it on 20ms than 160ms.

Soul Assassin

Honorary Master
This more than likely still won't mean local game servers, even if it's possible the vast majority of games don't have a big enough local players base so you will have 10 minute queue times if the makers of those games even think paying for a Africa server is worth it.