AMD 6 Core Phenom II - going for a quarter of the price you'd pay for an inferiortel

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1090t-890fx,2613.html

At $1,000, it’s simply not possible to use the word value when talking about Intel’s Core i7-980X. Yes, it’s nice that the company is serving up an extra two cores at the same premium price point. And yes, we’re glad to see Intel extending the life of its LGA 1366 interface. But currently, your options for six-core CPUs from Intel include the Core i7-980X and Xeon 5600-series chips. Surprise—all of the hexa-core models are priced at a grand or more. Those prices pretty much only make sense for the folks running heavily-threaded apps in a work environment, who stand to save valuable time/money on encode projects.

AMD’s Opteron 2400-series processors also sport six cores, and they’re significantly less expensive (as low as $455 for the 2.2 GHz 2427). The compromise, of course, is that they’re not as fast. Here, you’re paying for the ability to enable a dual-socket machine equipped with twelve total cores. As with the Intel hexa-cores, these CPUs are totally overkill on the desktop.
Good news for all those with AM2+ motherboards are that these chips will run on them. Excellent upgrade path on a budget.

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
Excellent value for 3D rendering & other heavily threaded tasks.

Anandtech got it to 3.8ghz on air. Impressive.

Last edited:

Archer

Honorary Master
Guru3D claims to have gotten it stable on air @4.1, though that was using an aftermarket cooler (OCZ Vendetta). Didnt see anywhere what Anand used to cool theirs, would be crazy if they were using the stock cooler.

dudewotevr

Expert Member
Guru3D claims to have gotten it stable on air @4.1, though that was using an aftermarket cooler (OCZ Vendetta). Didnt see anywhere what Anand used to cool theirs, would be crazy if they were using the stock cooler.
Ye they said they were using the stock cooler actually.

cerebus

Honorary Master
Benchmarks aren't hugely overwhelming........ But at $200 for the 1050t it's insanely cheap.

Archer

Honorary Master
Benchmarks aren't hugely overwhelming........ But at $200 for the 1050t it's insanely cheap.
TigerDirect in the states was giving $50 off both the 1050T and 1090T. $150 for a hexa core CPU? Yes plz!! :p

FlatspinZA

Expert Member
I am glad to see AMD is coming to the party again, though it is a bit premature to be calling Intel "inferior". Even the lowly i5 750 beat AMD's X6 in at least one of the benchmarks. The i7 920 clobbered the AMD X6 in many benchmarks, too. AMD's X6 is impressive at that price, though.

killadoob

Honorary Master
The amd is inferior but the pricing is good. Don't confuse inferior with good pricing.

I could say that a i7 is inferior compared to a celeron because the celeron is so cheap :D. Objectivity is always nice though i find it lacking in majority of amd fanboys :D

chickenbeef

Executive Member
IMO it's only really worth getting one of these if you currently have an AM2+/AM3 system, otherwise i7 seems like the way to go. Clock for clock the i7 is faster.

1090T @ 4.3 GHz scores ~7600 in 3DMark06
i7 860 @ 4.2GHz scores ~7900 in 3DMark06

Read a review on Hexus about the 1090T too, a stock i7 930 outperformed the OCd (3.8GHz) 1090T in 6 of the 8 tests.

Archer

Honorary Master
Its rather simple.
Do you only want to play games? Then 6 cores aint gonna help (yet)
Do you use single or dual threaded apps? Then an AMD 6 core aint gonna be the best value since Intel has a higher instruction per clock rate (better performance per clock)
Do you use heavily threaded apps? Then AMD 6 core is the current best value for money. Sure, it doesnt beat the $1000 980X, but the 980X also does not give 3 times the performance as its price may suggest.

chickenbeef

Executive Member
True, i guess if you want future proofing go 1090T

Seems like a similar issue to when the first quad cores were released...

iDenTiTy

Expert Member
As an AMD user, I would say the following..

Yes, the i7 is absolutely superior in architecture. No doubt.
However, my total system cost me 3500 (CPU, MB and RAM). Today I have an x20 (unlocked X3 720) running at 3.2Ghz, a wonderful MB (M4A79T-DLX) and average RAM (DDR 1333, 4GB).
Nice bargain.

At the time, the Intels were far more expensive (new MB - I had a 775, memory and CPU). I instead, chose AMD.

When intel released a new CPU architucture - they release a new socket. (RE their i3, i5 and i7). Annoying.
When AMD releases the Bulldozer (next year), I will be able to use that CPU no problem (I have an AM3 socket).

That's why I love AMD.
This 6 core cpu is a bit overkill, so (for now) I will stick to my little baby.
:)

The competition is hot, make no mistake.
:)

FlatspinZA

Expert Member
AMD has definitely been stronger in terms of longevity of sockets & thus future upgrade paths

killadoob

Honorary Master
AMD has definitely been stronger in terms of longevity of sockets & thus future upgrade paths
When you have been so far behind the comp you cannot really go changing the socket though :D, so if anything intel has made many amd users very happy and amd users can thank intel in a sense for how awesome amd has been with their sockets.

ponder

Honorary Master
I suspect my next PC will be AMD again. I never buy the latest top of the range stuff. When I got my Q6600 it offered the best bang for buck at the time, not really brand loyal like some fanboys here :D

FlatspinZA

Expert Member
I suspect my next PC will be AMD again. I never buy the latest top of the range stuff. When I got my Q6600 it offered the best bang for buck at the time, not really brand loyal like some fanboys here :D
I'm the same. I went from the AMD K5 to the Athlon 1Ghz & pretty much stuck by AMD until the release of the Intel Core 2. For me it's about performance vs value. Buying at the top end is nice if you can afford it, but the top end always becomes tomorrow's mainstream and still performs decently.

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
Intel has contributed a lot more than they should toward e-waste because they do not future proof their platforms good enough. This is just one of the many reason they deserved getting slapped with a massive suit in the EU.

The whole P6 architecture (P6->M->Core->Core2->i) is the best thing intel has ever done. Apart from that they pretty much sucked. On a value for money benchmark they are unconvincing.