AMD announces new 7nm Ryzen processors

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Those TDP are generally quite low, quite interested if it can easily overclock to 5GHz.
12 cores at 4.6 boost is still pretty good, especially at that price.

Rumors are AMD kept advertised clocks lower since they want TDP to match Intel, with silicon lottery probably coming close to 5.
1558945512136.png

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Everyone wins if AMD is pushing the envelope. Presumably, Intel won't roll over and die.

I'll just buy whatever the best deal is at the time of upgrade. I thought my recent upgrade would be AMD, but there was a terrific special on the i7-8700 so I got that instead.

Stevewarren

Those TDP are generally quite low, quite interested if it can easily overclock to 5GHz.
12 cores at 4.6 boost is still pretty good, especially at that price.

Rumors are AMD kept advertised clocks lower since they want TDP to match Intel, with silicon lottery probably coming close to 5.
View attachment 664040
Not saying it won't overclock to 5ghz but that guy from adored tv makes as if his got all these contacts but he is consistently wrong so I would take whatever he say with a truck load of salt.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Not saying it won't overclock to 5ghz but that guy from adored tv makes as if his got all these contacts but he is consistently wrong so I would take whatever he say with a truck load of salt.
Not sure I'd say he's consistently wrong, he's usually been within the ball park. Most people point to his first guess as to what polaris/navi was, when what he actually said was that its probably the best it would get, pointing out later how polaris was pushed way beyond its peak perf/watt.

But 4.6GHz all-core I'd expect that it should be possible to boost single core to 5. Can't say anything though until independent reviews.

stefan9

Executive Member
Liking the look of that 9300x. Now just to see what mobo pricing be like and check the reviews before the next upgrade.

Swa

Honorary Master
New ones in future. r9 3900x has overtaken the tr 2920x
Standard Ryzen doesn't have the memory bandwidth. 8 cores are already hampered so will have to wait for reviews but I don't think the 3900X will fare very well without a big memory overclock.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Standard Ryzen doesn't have the memory bandwidth. 8 cores are already hampered so will have to wait for reviews but I don't think the 3900X will fare very well without a big memory overclock.
Why? Compared to the TR2920X:

3900X 12C 24T Base: 3.8 Boost: 4.6 L2: 6MB L3: 64MB PCIe 4.0 TDP: 105W Launch price: $499
2920X 12C 24T Base: 3.5 Boost: 4.3 L2 6MB L3: 32MB PCIe 3.0 TDP: 180W Launch price: $650

Just the clock speeds are already quite an improvement without taking into account the way lower TDP, larger L3 cache and PCIe 4 support.
For pretty much any use case, the 3900X will own the 2920X.

And please substantiate 8 cores being hampered. If you're talking about the 2990WX, sure: https://www.pcworld.com/article/329...ng-amds-32-core-threadripper-performance.html

Swa

Honorary Master
Why? Compared to the TR2920X:

3900X 12C 24T Base: 3.8 Boost: 4.6 L2: 6MB L3: 64MB PCIe 4.0 TDP: 105W Launch price: $499
2920X 12C 24T Base: 3.5 Boost: 4.3 L2 6MB L3: 32MB PCIe 3.0 TDP: 180W Launch price: $650

Just the clock speeds are already quite an improvement without taking into account the way lower TDP, larger L3 cache and PCIe 4 support.
For pretty much any use case, the 3900X will own the 2920X.

And please substantiate 8 cores being hampered. If you're talking about the 2990WX, sure: https://www.pcworld.com/article/329...ng-amds-32-core-threadripper-performance.html
Ryzen is extremely memory hungry. We saw that in the initial tests and benchmarks and it's only since 2nd gen Ryzen that it really came into its own. You can't make a comparison like that as TR has quad channel.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
I wonder if the % performance over Intel CPU's are before or after Intel vulnerability patches that slow down their CPU's :)

Cant wait for actual hardware to hit reviewers so we can see real benchmarks.

Zyraz

Expert Member
@Zyraz, time for an upgrade?
Not yet > Nothing out there at the moment that my 2700X cant handle .
Nice to know though that the option is there and reinforced my choice to pick AMD and socket AM4 .
Also doesnt seems like i need new motherboard to get PCI-e v4 because I bought the Aorus Gaming 7 X470 which supports v4 through a BIOS update .
All happiness still this side.

PhireSide

Executive Member
Not yet > Nothing out there at the moment that my 2700X cant handle .
Nice to know though that the option is there and reinforced my choice to pick AMD and socket AM4 .
Also doesnt seems like i need new motherboard to get PCI-e v4 because I bought the Aorus Gaming 7 X470 which supports v4 through a BIOS update .
All happiness still this side.
I believe the PCI-E v4 spec depends on the physical distance between the CPU socket and the slot, or something to that effect.

Need to see whether my X370 board can support it too, but one thing that I do know for a fact is that I will need to sacrifice older CPUs to be able to support the Zen 2 CPUs due to having a 16MB BIOS. I believe chipsets with 32MB BIOS chips can support all the current CPUs through a BIOS update.

Zyraz

Expert Member
I believe the PCI-E v4 spec depends on the physical distance between the CPU socket and the slot, or something to that effect.

Need to see whether my X370 board can support it too, but one thing that I do know for a fact is that I will need to sacrifice older CPUs to be able to support the Zen 2 CPUs due to having a 16MB BIOS. I believe chipsets with 32MB BIOS chips can support all the current CPUs through a BIOS update.
According to my BIOS after the latest update PCIe 4 is an option now so I would assume all good and ready should I get myself PCIe 4 components.

I did a BIOS update to verify this after reading the article :
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-amd-ryzen-3000-pcie-4.0-x470,39377.html

ponder

Honorary Master
I wonder if the % performance over Intel CPU's are before or after Intel vulnerability patches that slow down their CPU's :)
I doubt intel microcode patches have been applied as you don't see anything from the mb vendors as yet, the spectre/meltdown took ages to appear or not at all. So far ms have done some software patches and that's it.

AlphaJohn

Executive Member
I doubt intel microcode patches have been applied as you don't see anything from the mb vendors as yet, the spectre/meltdown took ages to appear or not at all. So far ms have done some software patches and that's it.
That is the problem, OS patches takes up to 9% performance knocks on CPU's. I know Microsoft stated that 1903 has considerably less drop in performance with patches applied but I guess we have to take their word for it as it will not show on CPU graphs.

I am not going to install old version on identical hardware to run benchmarks just to satisfy curiosity.