AMD launches RX 6000 range of graphics cards

Loppas

I'm just hoping there isn't some insane premium on za pricing like nvidia atm where 500$ turns into 15k here somehow.

Herr_Koos

I'm just hoping there isn't some insane premium on za pricing like nvidia atm where 500$ turns into 15k here somehow.

The insane local pricing applies to all imported electronics, so sadly these GPU's will not be exempt.

The rough formula I use to estimate local pricing is dollar price * 1.5 * the exchange rate. So yes, the 6800XT at $650 will sell for north of R15k here.

Herr_Koos

Pretty exciting to see AMD competing at the high end again, assuming of course the performance numbers hold true. Sadly for me, there still isn't any word of a more affordable lower end model that could be a reasonable upgrade for my RX580. Doesn't anyone know how to build a decent GPU for R5000 anymore?

Loppas

Pretty exciting to see AMD competing at the high end again, assuming of course the performance numbers hold true. Sadly for me, there still isn't any word of a more affordable lower end model that could be a reasonable upgrade for my RX580. Doesn't anyone know how to build a decent GPU for R5000 anymore?

If you go second hand you can get some great deals. For example gtx 1080 can be had for anywhere between 4-5k and 1080ti 6.5-8k. I just think its absolutely ridiculous how the x60 class will now cost 10k or just under that.

Herr_Koos

If you go second hand you can get some great deals. For example gtx 1080 can be had for anywhere between 4-5k and 1080ti 6.5-8k. I just think its absolutely ridiculous how the x60 class will now cost 10k or just under that.

Sure, that's an option, but it still means I have to buy 3 or 4 year old tech to get an affordable upgrade. Why can't the new tech be sold at a better price?

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
He must be ecstatic,

lol, at revealing his leak :ROFL: That one time he guessed something right and had to back it.

Swa

Honorary Master
When are they releasing new mid range and entry cards again? There hasn't been any in their current lineup for a year.

Herr_Koos

When are they releasing new mid range and entry cards again? There hasn't been any in their current lineup for a year.

My sentiment exactly. I don't need a $600 4k card with raytracing. 1080p high framerate for something in the region of R5000 will do very nicely.

If you bought an RX580 or GTX1060 3 or 4 years ago, you are currently the owner of a card that was awesome value for money and has aged extremely well, but unfortunately is very, very hard to replace. The 5500XT performs the same as the RX580/590 for the same price or a bit more than you paid 3 years ago, so it's a no-go. The 1660Ti / Super also isn't much of an upgrade and is way to expensive for the small boost you get (Roughly 20-30% max, I think)

The RX5600 and RTX2060 provide a meaningful upgrade, being about 50% faster, but they cost significantly more, being R6500 and up. Hence, there has been absolutely 0% generational gain at this price point. It sucks, quite frankly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Swa

Polymathic

Honorary Master
The insane local pricing applies to all imported electronics, so sadly these GPU's will not be exempt.

The rough formula I use to estimate local pricing is dollar price * 1.5 * the exchange rate. So yes, the 6800XT at $650 will sell for north of R15k here.
Yeah no, if the 3070 was priced a similar way all other electrons and PC hardware are priced it should for just under R12K. I have no idea how it's selling for over R15K

Sinbad

Honorary Master
My sentiment exactly. I don't need a $600 4k card with raytracing. 1080p high framerate for something in the region of R5000 will do very nicely.

If you bought an RX580 or GTX1060 3 or 4 years ago, you are currently the owner of a card that was awesome value for money and has aged extremely well, but unfortunately is very, very hard to replace. The 5500XT performs the same as the RX580/590 for the same price or a bit more than you paid 3 years ago, so it's a no-go. The 1660Ti / Super also isn't much of an upgrade and is way to expensive for the small boost you get (Roughly 20-30% max, I think)

The RX5600 and RTX2060 provide a meaningful upgrade, being about 50% faster, but they cost significantly more, being R6500 and up. Hence, there has been absolutely 0% generational gain at this price point. It sucks, quite frankly.

I'm in the same place as you with an rx 570 (that I bought used).
I am, I guess, waiting for 2nd hand "high end" previous gen cards to hit the market for decent money.

Herr_Koos

Yeah no, if the 3070 was priced a similar way all other electrons and PC hardware are priced it should for just under R12K. I have no idea how it's selling for over R15K
Remember, board partners typically add a premium to their models, so they sell for more than the base model's recommend retail price.

Swa

Honorary Master

Some of the 5xxx actually perform worse than the RX580 at a higher price, which was the major complaint. Pricing is the big issue here along with no longer having cut down versions.

Herr_Koos

Some of the 5xxx actually perform worse than the RX580 at a higher price, which was the major complaint. Pricing is the big issue here along with no longer having cut down versions.

Yeah, the 5500XT turned out to be a big disappointment. It's marginally faster than the RX580 in many instances but also slower in others, and costs about the same or more as the 580 did when it launched. So absolutely no point in getting one. The 5600XT is a decent upgrade, but like I said, it's too pricey atm. If prices fall in the near future I will consider picking up one of those.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
AMD have posted their benchmarks on their website, it is better than looking at the marketing graphs,

Games listed:

- Battlefield V
- Borderlands 3
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare
- The Division 2
- Doom Eternal
- Forza Horizon
- Gears 5
- Resident Evil 3
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider
- Wolfenstein Youngblood

System Configuration:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
System Memory - 16GB DDR4-3200MHz
Motherboard - X570 Reference Platform
System BIOS - RQ21082B - AMD Smart Access Memory enabled
OS - Win10 Pro x64 19041.508
Radeon Driver Version - 20.45-201013n
GeForce Driver Version - 456.71

The AMD footnotes didn't list the 3090 in their tests. It was either a mistake or they used existing figures.

Herr_Koos

AMD have posted their benchmarks on their website, it is better than looking at the marketing graphs,

Games listed:

- Battlefield V
- Borderlands 3
- Call of Duty Modern Warfare
- The Division 2
- Doom Eternal
- Forza Horizon
- Gears 5
- Resident Evil 3
- Shadow of the Tomb Raider
- Wolfenstein Youngblood

System Configuration:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
System Memory - 16GB DDR4-3200MHz
Motherboard - X570 Reference Platform
System BIOS - RQ21082B - AMD Smart Access Memory enabled
OS - Win10 Pro x64 19041.508
Radeon Driver Version - 20.45-201013n
GeForce Driver Version - 456.71

The AMD footnotes didn't list the 3090 in their tests. It was either a mistake or they used existing figures.
Wowza. If these numbers are accurate, that is MEGA impressive. AMD will have effectively wiped out their deficit to Nvidia at the high end with a single release.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Wowza. If these numbers are accurate, that is MEGA impressive. AMD will have effectively wiped out their deficit to Nvidia at the high end with a single release.

I am on the verge of forking out for an Nvidia GPU, and I have a very limited window for acquiring in a time of scarcity at MSRP, but now seeing these benchmarks, comfortably published (by AMD), and taking SAM under consideration and that I am upgrading to the AMD platform these GPUs do look on paper to be the better option. If I wait for AMD I will lose out on my current window of opportunity.

I am only a bit hesitant that these numbers don’t live up to expectation when benchmarked by the wider community, and of course the possibility that AMD may also run into stock issues. I don't want this to be Vega all over again... but there are indicators pointing otherwise, the TDP for one, and I don't believe for a second that AMD will disappoint their investors. Lisa Su has truly turned AMD around.

If I have to wait until February next year because of this I won’t mind. I just don’t want the Rand to crash at that time.