AMD launches RX 6000 range of graphics cards

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
I'm keen to see how fast the cards fall out the screen in Solitaire before I decide to buy one

Best Solitaire Win GIFs | Gfycat

Herr_Koos

I am on the verge of forking out for an Nvidia GPU, and I have a very limited window for acquiring in a time of scarcity at MSRP, but now seeing these benchmarks, comfortably published (by AMD), and taking SAM under consideration and that I am upgrading to the AMD platform these GPUs do look on paper to be the better option. If I wait for AMD I will lose out on my current window of opportunity.

I am only a bit hesitant that these numbers don’t live up to expectation when benchmarked by the wider community, and of course the possibility that AMD may also run into stock issues. I don't want this to be Vega all over again... but there are indicators pointing otherwise, the TDP for one, and I don't believe for a second that AMD will disappoint their investors. Lisa Su has truly turned AMD around.

If I have to wait until February next year because of this I won’t mind. I just don’t want the Rand to crash at that time.
Waiting is rarely a bad idea. The initial batch of any new hardware almost never sells at MSRP. Prices should come down as stock increases. Also, if the RX6000 sells well, it might spark some price cuts.

Herr_Koos

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master

Apparently it also does not require PCIe Gen4,

Smart Access Technology works just fine on Linux. It is resizeable BAR support which Linux has supported for years (AMD actually added support for this), but which is relatively new on windows. You just need a platform with enough MMIO space. On older systems this is enabled via sbios options with names like ">4GB MMIO".

Nvidia also said that it works on both AMD and Intel, but that their release will still take some time and won't be ready when RX 6000 launches or so Gamers Nexus said.

This is technically a game-changer. I see Intel owners are now asking AMD to enable it on Intel when RX 6000 launches.

Nvidia employed a similar solution to boost MAX-Q GPUs which they dubbed as Dynamic Boost.

All in all, there will be reviews and then even more reviews. As Gamers Nexus said, this will make their testing matrix even more complicated.

Lastly, this implementation should also apply to older hardware, but I doubt it will be explored or enabled by AMD and Nvidia on older hardware.

dj2381

Expert Member
Well damn, that throws a spanner in the works, I was saving for a rtx3080, very impressive performance.