AMD Radeon VII vs Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 – South African pricing and performance

stefan9

Executive Member
"The case for the AMD Radeon VII could also be made if you have a FreeSync-compatible monitor and do not wish to pay a premium for Nvidia’s G-Sync products. "

You are aware that the 2080 supports freesync and has since 15 January 2019?

quovadis

Expert Member
Important to note that apparently the Radeon VII doesn't support UEFI.

SirFooK'nG

Executive Member
After watching a bunch of reviews of the VII, I would not touch it yet... Even though I am an ATi fanboi and currently use a Vega 64. I play 1440p (with no ray tracing) quite obliviously happy. 4K is a bit too demanding even for the Vega 64.

VegOtter

"The case for the AMD Radeon VII could also be made if you have a FreeSync-compatible monitor and do not wish to pay a premium for Nvidia’s G-Sync products. "

You are aware that the 2080 supports freesync and has since 15 January 2019?
It is actually all the 10 series cards and up, with the latest NVidia drivers. I don't speak from experience, but apparently there is also only certain monitors supported (check nvidia website), not all freesync monitors. But I suspect it will get better.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Important to note that apparently the Radeon VII doesn't support UEFI.
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-radeon-vii-lacks-uefi-support,38592.html

AMD Radeon VII Lacks UEFI Support
According to TechPowerUp's research, the Radeon VII's reference BIOS doesn't come with UEFI support or a GOP (Graphics Output Protocol) driver for the matter. The GOP driver is important as it's the component that's responsible for display duties during the pre-boot process. For the Radeon VII to work properly, the user must have CSM enabled, which means losing Microsoft's Secure Boot feature and potentially increasing boot times during cold boot. From a performance perspective, the Radeon VII should perform the same whether it's using a non-UEFI BIOS or UEFI GOP BIOS.

It's highly possible that some of AMD's early production Radeon VII units slipped by the chipmaker's quality assurance department and made their way to AMD's add-in-board (AIB) partners with a non-UEFI BIOS. We suspect that AMD has probably provided its partners with an updated UEFI GOP BIOS. ASRock, for example, has already uploaded the new Radeon VII BIOS on its website. It was possible to find traces of UEFI support and the GOP driver in the ASRock BIOS after opening it in a hex editor.

copacetic

King of the Hippies
It is actually all the 10 series cards and up, with the latest NVidia drivers. I don't speak from experience, but apparently there is also only certain monitors supported (check nvidia website), not all freesync monitors. But I suspect it will get better.
Any Freesync monitor will work, although the unsupported models are not guaranteed to work perfectly.

stefan9

Executive Member
I didn't mention the 10 series cause the article was specifically about 2080 vs radeon 7.

All free sync monitors are supported but only those on nvidia's check list automatically enables free sync, others need to manually be added.

Most free sync monitors from hardware unboxed and gaming nexus tests seems to have no issues.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Currently, the Radeon VII is only worth your while when you are into serious video editing, looking at 4k and up. AMD has resolved most issues with releasing the day 1 driver and they are also now looking at packing the workstation and consumer driver into One Package, and only then may we expect them to tweak the drivers per workload (and game) accordingly. Their Vega 54/64 increases had been systematically good and I expect the Radeon VII to gain accordingly, but the RTX 2080 will ultimately stay the better gaming GPU.

Anyway, now that Navi may be postponed until very late this year, it may be close to Intel’s announcement in which we may see them release their discreet GPUs in early 2020. Enthusiasts looking closer at the tech think the current prototype Gen 11 (Ice Lake) spec may rival the RTX 2070 at which Navi’s top range is also rumoured to be positioned at. However, Intel will be untested in the DX11/12 space come to discrete GPU.

Interesting times ahead...

copacetic

King of the Hippies
How was the review biased, in any event? He seemed pretty unimpressed, along with everyone else.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
How was the review biased, in any event? He seemed pretty unimpressed, along with everyone else.
Jim was unimpressed, yes, but he still highlighted where the card is a better purchase over the RTX 2080. At the end, it basically came down to a choice between 16GB memory or ray tracing.

Also, like to see him diss the RTX 2080, also selectively picking out an NVidia bench to pick on the RTX 2080. Just to let you know, other reviewers using NVidia driver 411 didn’t get those results in 4K and it compared to the 1080Ti. He also called out other reviewers on their Radeon VII reviews, biased, yes. Reviewers need to do day 1 reviews, interestingly Jim’s review is ‘belated’, as he had to borrow a Radeon VII where most other reviewers (even some unknown ones) received a Radeon VII on the house.

Also, the auto underclocking. It wasn’t possible on the pre-release driver, some reviewers mentioned that it crashed and others didn’t even speak about it. I believe it was only Steve at Hardware Unboxed which did a 19.2.1 re-bench in order to do the Mega Benchmark review, but still couldn’t overclock the GPU.

Anyhow, now with driver 19.2.2, overclocking is now possible. I only see European sites with results and it can OC quite good. I wouldn’t be surprised to the AIB partners do a limited custom cooling run on the Radeon VII.

stefan9

Executive Member
You only get chance to impress. AMD should have delayed the launch if they weren't ready yet.