AMD unveils its most powerful gaming graphics card – Radeon VII

stefan9

Executive Member
Still prefer my pc . Will gladly pay the premium for its advantages.

Swa

Honorary Master
Wait for Navi. :p
Navi would need to have mid range parts as well to compete. AMD has been rather dry in the mainstream market continually rehashing their 480 tech and discontinuing most of their product line. It's these kind of things which continually force me to go for Nvidia.

stefan9

Executive Member
Have to disagree. Amd has been good at the low and midrange. Their rx 570/580/590 is excellent value. Their issue is higher mid range and high end. They haven't had anything to compete with nvidia and still struggling there.

ponder

Honorary Master
Amd has been good at the low and midrange. Their rx 570/580/590 is excellent value.

Their issue is higher mid range and high end. They haven't had anything to compete with nvidia and still struggling there.

Issue's not the value proposition of their lower & midrange products, problem is people aren't nearly buying them in the same numbers comparable to more expensive nvidia products...

The higher end 1080/1080ti has a small market share among gamers, about 4.5% so not competing there is not a train smash.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/?sort=pct

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Headline is totally misleading as AMD never claimed its the most powerfull gpu.

Lisa Su said,

"…hopefully by now, you realise that Radeon 7 is the most powerful gaming GPU we have ever built, and really the most powerful consumer GPU available for content creation. It is really the best of both worlds."

Pitbull

Verboten
Lisa Su said,

"…hopefully by now, you realise that Radeon 7 is the most powerful gaming GPU we have ever built, and really the most powerful consumer GPU available for content creation. It is really the best of both worlds."

The "its" was added afterwards, it read completely different.

stefan9

Executive Member
Lisa Su said,

Key words "we have ever built" and "powerful consumer GPU available for content creation"

They never claim they are the fastest at gaming, only the card is the fastest they have build. They also never claim the are the fastest at content creation. In both instances they clearly acknowledge there are more powerfull gpu's for both tasks. The only time they claimed they are the fastest is when they only talk about consumer content creation not overall.

They are trying to position the card as an allrounder.

Last edited:

stefan9

Executive Member
Issue's not the value proposition of their lower & midrange products, problem is people aren't nearly buying them in the same numbers comparable to more expensive nvidia products...

The higher end 1080/1080ti has a small market share among gamers, about 4.5% so not competing there is not a train smash.

https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/?sort=pct

The higher end tends to drive the lower market. Not many people do their research of the different models. If they hear company x has the fastest gpu they tend to buy that companies product. So while the actual high end numbers don't really impact the effect it has on the marketing and driving the lower end of the market does.

Nvidia has build a very loyal following. Amd still has the stigma of producing poor drivers even thought it hasn't been true for a long time.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Key words "we have ever built" and "powerful consumer GPU available for content creation"

They never claim they are the fastest at gaming, only the card is the fastest they have build. They also never claim the are the fastest at content creation. In both instances they clearly acknowledge there are more powerfull gpu's for both tasks.

They are trying to position the card as an allrounder.

You are being very selective, which non-consumer GPU is made to play games with?

Fastest? You said that.

To quote Lisa Su, again,

"...and really the most powerful consumer GPU available for content creation."

To add, did you even watch CES? Because the one content creator they happened to talk with was a gaming publisher and developer company. Add MS and streaming to that, Fnatic talked much about content creating. All the content creators talked about was gaming.

Anyway, 1:12:30

Pitbull

Verboten
You are being very selective, which non-consumer GPU is made to play games with?

Fastest? You said that.

To quote Lisa Su, again,

"...and really the most powerful consumer GPU available for content creation."

To add, did you even watch CES? Because the one content creator they happened to talk with was a gaming publisher and developer company. Add MS and streaming to that, Fnatic talked much about content creating. All the content creators talked about was gaming.

Anyway, 1:12:30

Dono what the issue is. The heading was misleading and now reads right... No grey area or leaving readers wondering.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Dono what the issue is. The heading was misleading and now reads right... No grey area or leaving readers wondering.

It is because people only heard this,

"…hopefully by now, you realise that Radeon 7 is the most powerful gaming GPU we have ever built."

it as if everyone is missing the second part and the conclusion thereof, that entire statement from Lisa Su came from the runup from content creators. 'Really' in that context is a state of fact and for some reason, nobody has a clue what content creation is. If you claim to really have the most powerful consumer GPU available for content creation then it is directly aimed at the ever-growing gaming streaming market.

Pitbull

Verboten
It is because people only heard this,

"…hopefully by now, you realise that Radeon 7 is the most powerful gaming GPU we have ever built."

it as if everyone is missing the second part and the conclusion thereof, that entire statement from Lisa Su came from the runup from content creators. 'Really' in that context is a state of fact and for some reason, nobody has a clue what content creation is. If you claim to really have the most powerful consumer GPU available for content creation then it is directly aimed at the ever-growing gaming streaming market.

Our problem, well mine was with the heading. Claiming it's the best most powerful GPU ever made. Which is misleading, no matter how you look at it or try and spin it. Them adding the its, makes it accurate and correct. Simple as that! And yes, I'm an AMD fanboy too. Doesn't make the heading any less misleading to readers the way it was.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Our problem, well mine was with the heading. Claiming it's the best most powerful GPU ever made. Which is misleading, no matter how you look at it or try and spin it. Them adding the its, makes it accurate and correct. Simple as that! And yes, I'm an AMD fanboy too. Doesn't make the heading any less misleading to readers the way it was.

All I did was to quote the exact phrase said by Lisa Su and now I'm trying to spin it. LOL! Even that phrase was argued by stefan9. All that I was getting at was that Lisa Su factually stated the Radeon 7 to be the best GPU for content creators. All of their influence for CES 2019 was supported by content creators for marketing the Radeon 7.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I have posted this article in the other thread, but it is relevant here,

https://wccftech.com/exclusive-mike-rayfield-amd-retires/

EXCLUSIVE: AMD RTG Boss Mike Rayfield Retires Amidst Chatter About ‘Disengaged Behavior’
I was just tipped off about a pretty big shakeup to AMD’s leadership: Michael J. Rayfield has just retired from his position as Senior Vice President and General Manager of Radeon Technologies Group, AMD. This decision happened today and I have heard some pretty interesting chatter about the details surrounding his retirement.

AMD’s SVP and GM RTG, Mike Rayfield leaves the company amidst chatter surrounding ‘disengaged behavior’, David Wang to be interim lead

My source informed me that Mr. Mike Rayfield had been disengaged from his responsibilities and had been demonstrating “abrasive” attitude in his day to day activities. I want to remain neutral on the subject so here’s the crux of my talk with my source:

He presented suggestions that werent really feasible such as ‘Radeon VII ‘ which was to be a Vega 20 based consumer facing part that cost $750 to build and would barely tie in with an [NVIDIA] GTX 1080 Ti.

This article is dated December 13th, so they did go through the Radeon 7. Are they taking a loss on this GPU?

I seen it mentioned in this video,

Rouxenator

Dank meme lord
They would release it because games are for children. Real world needs something more serious.

cerebus

Honorary Master
https://gizmodo.com/nvidia-ceo-trashes-amds-new-gpu-the-performance-is-lou-1831621038

And at a round table Gizmodo attended with Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang he jokingly dismissed AMD’s Tuesday announcement, claiming the announcement itself was “underwhelming” and that his company’s 2080 would “crush” the Radeon VII in benchmarks. “The performance is lousy,” he said of the rival product.

He's not wrong. I can't find a single compelling reason anyone would choose the VII over a 2080.