AMD unveils its most powerful gaming graphics card – Radeon VII

Stevewarren

Yup it's a stop gap card for until they can get Navi out. As I said earlier AMD have put all there resources into the CPU division and it's paying off big time. In fact I think Sony and Microsoft are probably footing a big part of there next gen graphics bill and such we will only hear about it when they announce there next gen consoles.

Swa

Honorary Master
https://gizmodo.com/nvidia-ceo-trashes-amds-new-gpu-the-performance-is-lou-1831621038

And at a round table Gizmodo attended with Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang he jokingly dismissed AMD’s Tuesday announcement, claiming the announcement itself was “underwhelming” and that his company’s 2080 would “crush” the Radeon VII in benchmarks. “The performance is lousy,” he said of the rival product.

He's not wrong. I can't find a single compelling reason anyone would choose the VII over a 2080.
Price/performance? Also many other factors.

stefan9

Executive Member
Price/performance? Also many other factors.

Vega 7 and 2080 rtx are priced at the same msrp. What other factors would vega 7 have to make you buy it over the 2080? 2080 has more compelling new tech to sway you then vega 7.

Swa

Honorary Master
Vega 7 and 2080 rtx are priced at the same msrp. What other factors would vega 7 have to make you buy it over the 2080? 2080 has more compelling new tech to sway you then vega 7.
Like? Ray tracing? Nobody seems to be interested in that. I find this interesting "The big news is that this is a high-performance graphics card that is capable of delivering gaming performance on par with, or even slightly ahead of, Nvidia’s RTX 2080 in some of the latest games. AMD had Battlefield V and Far Cry 5 results on stage showing a 1fps lead for the new Vega-based Radeon VII, but with the Vulkan-based Strange Brigade you could see a massive 20% performance lead for the AMD card at 4K Ultra settings."

Nvidia always skimps with the memory. VegaVII has 16GB HBM2 while the 2080 only has 8GB. Even the 2080ti only has 11GB. Jensen Huang is blowing smoke and it is yet to be seen if the 2080 will be better in any games let alone the majority. We all know AMD is more future proof with older cards running better in newer games than olden Nvidia cards. Maybe memory is part of the reason. So yeah Nvidia may win on lower settings but really how important is 100fps over 80fps? It's likely going to choke when it comes to high resolutions.

stefan9

Executive Member
If the best results amd themselves could show is a 1 fps advantage then the independent results are going to be interesting.

Ray tracing and especially dlss are difference makers if the cards costs the same.

That 16gb memory is only going to make a difference at 4k and above. And at that resolution that 2080ti is the better buy.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I watched this Adored video, he wasn't convinced at the time that AMD would have continued with Vega, calling it a red herring, but he does talk about it, the Radeon Vega II,

15:20

Adored even disagreed about it in that video and the article which Wccf Tech did back in December already indicated that AMD didn't want to go ahead with this GPU, but the one thing which is indicated in Adored's video is that there will be only 20k units available at release and an additional 40k units may be produced pending on demand. This is tight and I see the price go up to $800-$900...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I am taking my criticism back, knowing now why the Radeon VII is in existence. Clever move by AMD, but they will make a loss on the GPU as indicated by the December 13th article, and that is also whether there will be interest in the product. This isn’t a new GPU, it is a repositioned GPU and they have done so to address an internal and external need. It is still an interim solution and Navi is likely to cut it down as a better value proposition, but AMD will be able to move surpluses by repurposing.

Then, also, this card may actually be able to emulate Ray Tracing, but that needs to be seen and tested and won’t be able to produce the same quality as the RTX series.

Swa

Honorary Master
If the best results amd themselves could show is a 1 fps advantage then the independent results are going to be interesting.

Ray tracing and especially dlss are difference makers if the cards costs the same.

That 16gb memory is only going to make a difference at 4k and above. And at that resolution that 2080ti is the better buy.
Indeed it's going to come down to brand preference for most. Nvidia is just blowing smoke with their light years ahead statements. Honestly the only hoopla I've seen with ray tracing is Daz 3D but not really a big market to make a difference. I fail to see why the 2080ti will be a better buy where the Radeon VII may suffice.

I gotta love AMD's marketing. VII for Vega v.2 and Radeon 7. A nice strategic placement until Navi arrives.

stefan9

Executive Member
Indeed it's going to come down to brand preference for most. Nvidia is just blowing smoke with their light years ahead statements. Honestly the only hoopla I've seen with ray tracing is Daz 3D but not really a big market to make a difference. I fail to see why the 2080ti will be a better buy where the Radeon VII may suffice.

I gotta love AMD's marketing. VII for Vega v.2 and Radeon 7. A nice strategic placement until Navi arrives.

If you are gaming at 4k you are someone who wants the best. You aren't going to go for the radeon over the 2080ti unless you are a AMD fan boy.

Radeon 7 will compete with the 2080 not 2080ti. It will come to price unless radeon 7 surprises everyone and has a massive lead. If it doesn't then dlss and ray tracing will give nvidia the advantage.

Swa

Honorary Master
If you are gaming at 4k you are someone who wants the best. You aren't going to go for the radeon over the 2080ti unless you are a AMD fan boy.

Radeon 7 will compete with the 2080 not 2080ti. It will come to price unless radeon 7 surprises everyone and has a massive lead. If it doesn't then dlss and ray tracing will give nvidia the advantage.
People have their preferences and as I said AMD is more future proof and has the process lead so far. That will be the defining factor considering how close the two are. AMD doesn't have to beat Nvidia and only fill the gap for now.

stefan9

Executive Member
You are only focusing on ray tracing and totally forgetting dlss which gives a mayor performance jump compared to normal aa...

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
You are only focusing on ray tracing and totally forgetting dlss which gives a mayor performance jump compared to normal aa...
The thing with Radeon VII is that it is a actual GPU designed to be data centre centric. As it is based on the little MI60, the MI50, it's actual purpose is deep learning and AI, but it is best to look into ROCm which drives that emulation and ecosystem.

It may be that Vega 20 will be capable to emulate the capabilities delivered by NVidia's tensor and RT cores. RTX may also replace NVidia's workstation series. We know the Titan V is capable to emulate those capabilities which is a non-turing GPU.

It will come down to AMD's gaming driver vs ROCm and whether ROCm may be incorporated into the gaming driver and whether AMD will enable that on consumer grade level. As I understand the MI50 and MI60 is crazy expensive and that they repurposed 20k MI50 units as Radeon VII's at a loss. Why would a data centre purchase expensive MI50s when they can purchase Radeon VIIs? Drivers. Quadro comes to mind.

The only reason the Radeon VII has 16GB HBM2 memory is because it is a repurposed MI50. There will be no 8GB version, Navi will address that segment.

All in all I believe Vega 20 to be capable, being a brute to emulate exactly that what RTX is doing, but at a price.

DTBA

Expert Member
The thing with Radeon VII is that it is a actual GPU designed to be data centre centric. As it is based on the little MI60, the MI50, it's actual purpose is deep learning and AI, but it is best to look into ROCm which drives that emulation and ecosystem.

It may be that Vega 20 will be capable to emulate the capabilities delivered by NVidia's tensor and RT cores. RTX may also replace NVidia's workstation series. We know the Titan V is capable to emulate those capabilities which is a non-turing GPU.

It will come down to AMD's gaming driver vs ROCm and whether ROCm may be incorporated into the gaming driver and whether AMD will enable that on consumer grade level. As I understand the MI50 and MI60 is crazy expensive and that they repurposed 20k MI50 units as Radeon VII's at a loss. Why would a data centre purchase expensive MI50s when they can purchase Radeon VIIs? Drivers. Quadro comes to mind.

The only reason the Radeon VII has 16GB HBM2 memory is because it is a repurposed MI50. There will be no 8GB version, Navi will address that segment.

All in all I believe Vega 20 to be capable, being a brute to emulate exactly that what RTX is doing, but at a price.
If only they made a 8GB vs the 2080.

8GB HBM2 ram will set you back $160.00

If you take away that 160 dollar from 699.99, you are looking at a card around $540.00 for the same performce as the 2080.

But I guess amd his its own plans, like you said with navi

Swa

Honorary Master
Thing is ray tracing is what everyone's focusing on. So far it's been a gimmick with only still rendered images benefiting. The number of "rays" to implement is just too much to make a real difference in games. But even if we look at dlss the picture isn't really very impressive. Some scenes benefit from DLSS while TAA is still a winner in others and some even look better without anti-aliasing. Nvidia has been rather tight lipped over what it actually is but for the most part it appears as though DLSS actually renders a lower resolution image and then upscales parts of it. That would explain the inconsistent results but also that it's going to have less of an effect at lower 1080p resolutions, exactly where Nvidia wants it to excel.