AMD unveils new Ryzen CPUs and Radeon GPUs - South African pricing

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
AMD unveils new Ryzen CPUs and Radeon GPUs - South African pricing

AMD has launched a variety of new desktop processors and graphics cards, which it claims are designed to push the limits of gamers, enthusiasts, and content creators.

The new third-generation Ryzen CPUs boast higher clock speeds and larger L3 cache sizes than the previous generation, and the hardware giant claims the chips are well-equipped to provide a superior gaming experience across both 1080p and 1440p resolutions.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
If it weren't for the i7-8700 I bought at an excellent price earlier this year I'd go for one of the new AMD CPU's. Reviews look great.

Not sold on the GPUs though. Those reference shrouds look crap. Will wait for more models to come along.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
When I initially searched the Wootware site it only listed the Gigabyte models. Those XFX units are priced more or less the same on Wootware as they are priced on Amazon. Really good price.

I also talked with an XFX representative in regard to their custom cards, but he ignored to answer anything on a shipping date.

Herr_Koos

Yeah, stay away from the blower cards. Hot and noisy as always. The board partner cards should be much more interesting, but even after the pre-launch price cuts these cards are too pricey for my taste.

Herr_Koos

I'm waiting for that, if the 3900X is anything to go by the 3950X is going to be monstrous!
The rest of the system will probably need to be monstrous as well to do it justice though. X570 boards are pricey! And then of course you'll need an excuse to use all of that extra connectivity and features.

If I had to pick an upgrade from my current R5 1600, the 3600 would be a perfect fit. It's about 30% faster overall, and beats even the high end Ryzen 2000 chips in gaming performance.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
The rest of the system will probably need to be monstrous as well to do it justice though. X570 boards are pricey! And then of course you'll need an excuse to use all of that extra connectivity and features.

If I had to pick an upgrade from my current R5 1600, the 3600 would be a perfect fit. It's about 30% faster overall, and beats even the high end Ryzen 2000 chips in gaming performance.
Will be upgrading to 32GB memory - I'm still deciding whether I should upgrade to X570 though as I have a X370 board (Asus Crosshair VI Hero) that will support the 3950X, all depends how well the old board supports my new memory.

Herr_Koos

Will be upgrading to 32GB memory - I'm still deciding whether I should upgrade to X570 though as I have a X370 board (Asus Crosshair VI Hero) that will support the 3950X, all depends how well the old board supports my new memory.
That's an interesting question. As I understand it, dropping in the new CPU should give you better memory support since the memory controller is on the CPU. The board can however limit you if there is instability with higher speed memory for some reason due to dodgy BIOS or whatever. Not 100% sure how this all ties together.