America remembers 9/11

TysonRoux

Expert Member

Americans across the country marked the 18th anniversary of the 9/11 terror attacks today.

Family members of those killed in the attacks gathered in New York City this morning at the National September 11 Memorial & Museum, the site of the World Trade Center in New York City.

The names of the victims were read and the crowds observed two moments of silence — for when each of the planes struck the World Trade Center.

TysonRoux

Expert Member
I was told today at work that 9/11 was the catalyst for islamophobia

The novelist told the French magazine that he believes “we are living in the darkest time I have ever known”, with the rise of Islamic State of “colossal importance for the future of the world”. He argued that the taboo surrounding “supposed ‘Islamophobia’” must be brought to an end.

In a speech denouncing the Islamic extremist group ISIS (the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria) and the “hate-filled rhetoric” of Islamic extremism, author Salman Rushdie warned that the world must come to grips with what he called “a new age of religious mayhem” perpetrated by Muslim fanatics.

“A word I dislike greatly, ‘Islamophobia’, has been coined to discredit those who point at these excesses, by labeling them as bigots,” he went on. “But in the first place, if I don’t like your ideas, it must be acceptable for me to say so, just as it is acceptable for you to say that you don’t like mine. Ideas cannot be ring-fenced just because they claim to have this or that fictional sky god on their side.”

Cius

Executive Member
Not a single country in the world that has a Muslim majority is a great place to live if you are either a women or a minority religion. Heck, even if you are the wrong branch if Islam. It varies from discomfort to outright horror but I know of no exceptions to this rule. Happy to be proven wrong but until that time I would highly recommend that if you are currently a country with a Muslim minority you structure your laws and society to keep it that way, as when Muslims become a majority they inevitably want Islamic law instituted and the human rights violations that follow are horrific.

buka001

Expert Member
18 years later and there is still no credible explanation wrt why the buildings collapsed.
Oh and do yourself a favour and read this -

Cray

Honorary Master
Oh and do yourself a favour and read this -

Haunting and horrific piece -still reading through it :crying: I can only imagine what it must have been like trapped on the upper floors with the floor starting to groan under the weight....

ponder

Honorary Master
18 years later and there is still no credible explanation wrt why the buildings collapsed.
Never took you for a conspiracy nutter. Out of interest sake which other conspiracies do you buy into, moon landings, flat earth, chem trails etc?

greg0205

Honorary Master
Still one of the best 9/11 pieces I've ever read.

buka001

Expert Member
Still one of the best 9/11 pieces I've ever read.

Yes.

This, the NYT piece I posted and the Washington Post piece about the F-16 Pilot who was scrambled, without any weapons, to protect Washington.

She essentially would have to kamikazi herself into a hijacked plane.

Rabobi

Executive Member
Yes.

This, the NYT piece I posted and the Washington Post piece about the F-16 Pilot who was scrambled, without any weapons, to protect Washington.

She essentially would have to kamikazi herself into a hijacked plane.
Wow, didnt know that, but kinda makes sense.

The F16 could force the plane away from a big building, physically (yes kamikaze) or a few aggressive maneuvers may scare off less ballsy terorrists

TysonRoux

Expert Member