PJ&SAMMYB

Banks! I know exactly how bad service feel! I have an American Express platinum card through Nedbank, I was stuck in the Seychelles on praslin island in Jan'14, unable to book out my hotel or draw cash as none of the banks, hotels or travel agents will accept my Amex card, I had my kids & wife with me & tried to phone the customer service to transfer funds to my wife's blue bean card at Std bank with special clearance ,their staff were not prepared to help at all, I am disgusted that I have a card that can not be used everywhere & their bad service, they have created a lot of stress for me & wasted my valuable holiday time trying to find a bank that would help, 5 hours wasted time and many expensive calls, I will and can not accept being ignored or any of their service refusal to help when I really needed it, as money was transferred to this Amex card to use, which I could not access. I am cutting up my card/ closing the card & wish to warn others that the American Express Card is worthless in many countries. I got back to SA and no one bothered to come back to me, apologize or assist/address my concerns in Seychelles or since I am back home. They have so little regard for customers. I do not wish to deal with companies who do not value the needs of their customers or who do not care for their customers. I am truly disgusted in the lack of care and service delivery. Do yourself a favor and rather get a Master or Visa card, DO NOT get American Express Credit Cards, three overseas nightmares with this card is now enough! You will not find any listing or warnings on any of their sites notifying you as customer, as to which countries will or will not accept your card. Before you know it your stuck, with money on your card , you cant get too!

abzo

Honorary Master
Serves you right. If you're using anything besides a Visa or MasterCard, you're just being pretentious. :twisted:

MKFrost

Expert Member
Did they not give you a Master or Visa card together with your Amex?

Remember back when I had mine that I was issued with a Mater Card as well. Have to agree however that Amex is pretty useless. You are far better off with just a Master/Visa card.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
LOL. American Express is useless in South Africa due to the insane commission they demand (15%). We refuse to enable Amex on our speedpoint because of this and rather trust our new clients who try and pay with Amex to rather do an EFT when they get home.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
To provide some contrast...we've got SA banks here that will intentionally keep a card hit by fraud open just to avoid stranding their people overseas.

Visa or Mastercard anything else seems to be a recipe for disaster.

And apparently SA is getting the Black Amex card...thats going to be a laugh. Worth millions, super exclusive card and then...."I'm sorry sir we do not accept that card". lol.

ponder

Honorary Master
When I was in London a few months ago, I was approached by a prostitute as I left a club on one of the back streets of Soho. Mainly interested in checking the rate of exchange I assure you, I asked: "How much?"

"It'll cost ya twenty quid" replied the tart.

"American Express?" I inquired.

She gave me an appraising look and said: "You can go as fast as you like" .

VQuest

Expert Member
Did they not give you a Master or Visa card together with your Amex?

Remember back when I had mine that I was issued with a Mater Card as well. Have to agree however that Amex is pretty useless. You are far better off with just a Master/Visa card.
Yes, Nedbank usually gives out another card with the Amex card to prevent issues like this. Mine was a Visa.

Dean

Expert Member
Yes, Nedbank usually gives out another card with the Amex card to prevent issues like this. Mine was a Visa.
Yip, my VISA alternate card has saved me plenty times. I keep both cards on me all the time for this very reason OP.. someone at the bank should have explained the issue to you. It's not a 'country' thing, each retailer has their own choice of which cards to accept, and AMEX charges much higher fees than VISA and Mastercard, so many don't accept it.

The benefit to the user is that you generally receive more of whatever loyalty program it's associated with, and there's good customer service (well, apparently not so much in OP's case).

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
American Express Cards worthless in many overseas countries - Dont bother get...

First question any Amex user should learn to ask? Do you accept American Express?

Compton_effect

Honorary Master
I had to constantly go on site to mines and use the corporate Amerixan Express card I had. The most useless hunk of junk on the planet. I even had issues with it at Charles de Gaulle. One memorable stay was a few months in Thabazimbi. Closest Nedbank ATM that accepted it was 130 km away in Bela Bela.
Two places in town accepted it. Pick n Pay and Spur. I. Hate. Spur. Never again will I eat there.

ngwe23

Executive Member
Yip, my VISA alternate card has saved me plenty times. I keep both cards on me all the time for this very reason OP.. someone at the bank should have explained the issue to you. It's not a 'country' thing, each retailer has their own choice of which cards to accept, and AMEX charges much higher fees than VISA and Mastercard, so many don't accept it.

The benefit to the user is that you generally receive more of whatever loyalty program it's associated with, and there's good customer service (well, apparently not so much in OP's case).
What is the point of the Amex card if you are going to need a backup card. Why not ditch it and keep the Visa.

Arthur

Honorary Master
Yeah, I use my Amex card only in the USA, where it is pretty much universally accepted. That's why it's American Express, I guess. Still by far the largest economy.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
To provide some contrast...we've got SA banks here that will intentionally keep a card hit by fraud open just to avoid stranding their people overseas.

Visa or Mastercard anything else seems to be a recipe for disaster.

And apparently SA is getting the Black Amex card...thats going to be a laugh. Worth millions, super exclusive card and then...."I'm sorry sir we do not accept that card". lol.
Its so exclusive that you need to go to the right place to use it. Use a Black Amex card in Spur and they are going to tell you to voetsek!

EDIT: Maybe when American Express says they are accepted worldwide, they mean the same thing as the World in World Series Baseball means? Ie the world according to Americans?

phiber

Expert Member
What is the point of the Amex card if you are going to need a backup card. Why not ditch it and keep the Visa.
Much better rewards on the loyalty programs - something like R6.50 or R6 per SAA Voyager mile, where Visa is closer to R10.

cbrunsdonza

Honorary Master
Much better rewards on the loyalty programs - something like R6.50 or R6 per SAA Voyager mile, where Visa is closer to R10.
Please, the reason for Amex is bragging rights. Its like poor people who bank with Nedbank because its a status symbol for them.

Screw all that.

Dean

Expert Member
Sir your answer is at the bottom of my post.

First question any Amex user should learn to ask? Do you accept American Express?
Yea, I learnt that quickly.. nowadays I hand over Amex until I see the cashier squint a bit, then I automatically begin fumbling for the VISA :D

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member
I have an amex company card, its seriously useless in most places I have tried to use it.