An argument in favour of stricter gun control laws in SA

Mekon

Expert Member
....the most commonly used weapons to commit murder and other violent crimes, such as carjacking and house robberies

A narrative pushed by GFSA all the time. As if registered gun owners are using their registered guns to hijack and house robberies. But GFSA and the cANCer can't seem to pit 2 and 2 together.
Illegal firearms are the issue but these dog turd for brains clowns can't see it.

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
....the most commonly used weapons to commit murder and other violent crimes, such as carjacking and house robberies

A narrative pushed by GFSA all the time. As if registered gun owners are using their registered guns to hijack and house robberies. But GFSA and the cANCer can't seem to pit 2 and 2 together.
Illegal firearms are the issue but these dog turd for brains clowns can't see it.
There have also been large scale police operations in high crime areas, which have involved the deployment of military personnel with the objective of confiscating as many illegal firearms as possible, and arresting those in possession of such weapons. My own research has shown that these have been particularly effective at reducing levels of firearm violence

Quote from article

Synaesthesia

Executive Member
I think it should be pretty obvious that reducing firearm ownership will reduce violence. Take a look at countries with very few firearms globally from Botswana to Japan, Australia and the UK.

Take a look at the recent riots we had, what if more of the rioters had firearms? Would have obviously led to more violence.

alanB

Our high crime rates are not caused by gun ownership by law abiding citizens. That is just a narrative promoted by the dishonest media and politicians interested in disarming the citizens so that the citizenry will pose less of a risk to politicians with despotic ambitions.

What causes high crime rates are:
1) A criminal friendly legal system and political environment, which allows criminals to operate freely, while limiting the ability of ordinary people to protect themselves and their property.
2) A reluctance by politicians to be strict on crime due to political considerations
3) Inefficient and incompetent policing and detective work, or the deliberate reduction thereof

Just look at every city in the world where these sorts of policies are applied - London, Chicago, Seattle, Portland, and even now New York is regressing back to what it was before. An explosion of violence and crime happens everywhere this type of thinking takes hold.

6spdmanual

Expert Member
There have also been large scale police operations in high crime areas, which have involved the deployment of military personnel with the objective of confiscating as many illegal firearms as possible, and arresting those in possession of such weapons. My own research has shown that these have been particularly effective at reducing levels of firearm violence

Quote from article
Looks like an interesting read. Is there a link perhaps you have to access the full read to your research? I don’t want to sign up here.

alanB

Take a look at the recent riots we had, what if more of the rioters had firearms? Would have obviously led to more violence.
I think you are 100% wrong on this one.

If ordinary citizens had not stepped forward and protected their property, as well as the property of others those riots would have a lot worse, and possibly still an ongoing problem today.

DeadlyEmbrace

I think it should be pretty obvious that reducing firearm ownership will reduce violence. Take a look at countries with very few firearms globally from Botswana to Japan, Australia and the UK.

Go have a look at the UK stats and tell us what happend to the amount of murders using knives per year after the guns got taken away.

Nick333

Honorary Master
The majority of firearms used in gun violence are illegal, so they are going to restrict legal firearm ownership further. Makes sense. No wait..

Can we just be honest here instead of using one thing to justify something that will have an affect on a whole other thing?

Tighter fire arm controls in SA will reduce the chances of middle class people being the victim of firearm violence at the hands of someone they know, but it will not have any affect on anyone's chances of being murdered by a career criminal which is by far the more likely scenario.

Just make the argument that tighter gun controls will reduce deadly domestic violence. Stop trying to link legal firearms with the rampant, general, violent, criminality of the country, because it's glaringly obvious that the real agenda is to disarm the law abiding populous.

When you wake up to the reality that governments very rarely care about their citizens, and the SA government least of all, you need to admit to yourself that the government is scared of you having guns, because they think you might just get sick of them running the country into the ground and decide to get rid of them by any means possible.

It's very unlikely that anyone will stand up to government before it's way too late, but can we at least be honest about the fact that we are the victims of a criminal regime who are trying to further secure their position?

Danie_V

Real pity the research being linked to, all costs $20 to $25 to access (was that intentional?), so I can't see the actual figures. Fact is the police themse4lves have lost lots of firearms, and been found selling them to gangs, so I'm having trouble believing the majority of illegal weapons come from private owners. Maybe private security company losses, but then let's focus on where the issue is. I really don't believe the issue is with legal ownership.

Swa

Honorary Master
This isn't an argument. Gun control doesn't have much of an impact on illegal firearms. Logic dictates that only supply and distribution has. These are people who do not understand cause and effect trying to connect gun ownership to violence by illegal arms in a roundabout way.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Ugh...

You want this argument, then propose 1) improved psychological evaluation methods and processes, and reviews, and 2) maintain interval weapons competency and awareness programs, and tests. Oh wait, the state wouldn't want civil readiness...

This cartoon is real,

gun-control.-for-dummies.jpg