ANC constitutionalism and the death of Thami Zulu

NameOfBeast

Paul Trewhela writes at politicsweb:

The subject of these articles was the murder in Lusaka, Zambia, in November 1989 of a leading commander in Umkhonto weSizwe, Thami Zulu (real name, Muziwakhe Ngwenya, known as "TZ"), which took place while Mr Zuma - then a member of the Politburo of the South African Communist Party - was head of counter-intelligence in the ANC security department, its feared Department of Intelligence and Security (DIS). An ANC commission of inquiry, headed by then Advocate Albie Sachs, found in March 1990 that Thami Zulu had in fact been poisoned while in close confinement due to illness, but in a complete breach with the spirit of law the same commission failed - or rather, refused - to inquire who might have killed him. This failure of jurisprudence suggested to me a serious danger for the rule of law in South Africa, under government by the ANC.

South Africa now faces a probable breach of the Constitution, with the likely election as President of Mr Zuma while facing criminal charges relating to corruption. One of Mr Zuma's most zealous speechifiers, the president of the ANC Youth League, Julius Malema, has argued that this trial can be set aside, and the Constitution and the law be overturned, simply by an electoral majority voting for the ANC list in the general election. If this were to take place, it would in my submission be as grave an abuse of law as the report of the Sachs Commission in 1990 represented a scandal of jurisprudence.

http://www.politicsweb.co.za/politicsweb/view/politicsweb/en/page71619?oid=119430&sn=Detail

The article is in three parts, but is worth the time. Most unsettling.

JungleBoy

Executive Member
South Africa now faces a probable breach of the Constitution, with the likely election as President of Mr Zuma while facing criminal charges relating to corruption. One of Mr Zuma's most zealous speechifiers, the president of the ANC Youth League, Julius Malema, has argued that this trial can be set aside, and the Constitution and the law be overturned, simply by an electoral majority voting for the ANC list in the general election. If this were to take place, it would in my submission be as grave an abuse of law as the report of the Sachs Commission in 1990 represented a scandal of jurisprudence.

Hellen Zille made the statement that Mr Zuma should stand down as the presidential candidate...because his election as president, she has been advised by 'some members of the bar', could be unconstitutional.
This statemenet was despite Zuma not having been found guilty...
Malema then responded by stating that let the electorate decide Zuma's fate not the media and a select few 'members of the bar'...
Now who is undermining the constitution in this case...I would say it's Aunti Helen. Why does she seem to be on a mission to get Zuma eliminated from the presidential race even though there are no legal grounds to do so.
Is Zille that scared of facing Zuma in the election? She would go as far as consulting some 'members of bar'.

Malema even put it in his blunt Malema fashion when he said Zille is applying
the apartheid tactics of throwing your political opponents in jail without a proper trial.

One thing that's for sure, in Zuma the ANC has a trump card come April 22, that's why they have stuck with him.
Hellen Zille knows that her party's chances are greatly diminished as it stands and would go as far as making statements that have no basis in law just to get the opponent to step down...

Last edited:

Sarakael

Hellen Zille knows that her party's chances are greatly diminished as it stands and would go as far as making statements that have no basis in law just to get the opponent to step down...

I think she is intelligent enough to know that the ANC could nominate my pet cat, Fluffy, as president and it wouldn't make a difference.

JungleBoy

Executive Member
I think she is intelligent enough to know that the ANC could nominate my pet cat, Fluffy, as president and it wouldn't make a difference.

If she doesn't believe that she can win this election why does she even bother wasting our time then?