• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Samsung Pay Giveaway - Win a Samsung Connect & Control Speaker and other prizes. Enter Here.
  • Audi e-tron Giveaway - Win prizes worth R3,000 Enter Here.

ANC premier’s son gets R1.1-million bursary

ForceFate

Honorary Master
Looks like they made this special for him. Why would Denel even have a pilot program for passenger airlines when they don't operate an airline. It reads dodgy as dodgy can be. Test pilots are the most experienced of pilots even if what they say were true but looks like they're lying anyway
True. There's no way of spinning this unfortunately. They have a pool of potential test pilots with security clearances at SAAF if they ever need them.

Solarion

Honorary Master
Lose the war in the sky and you lose the war. It's that simple.

If South Africa is going to start fast tracking fighter pilots then you may as well just surrender now before any war does break out.

There are some things you simply cannot bull****/crony/tender/nepotism your way around, one of them is war.

Gordon_R

Expert Member
Pravin Gordhan has ordered the new Denel board to clean up the mess: https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/...pras-son-solidarity-threatens-action-20180415

When contacted for comment, Denel released a statement describing the bursary as ordinary, and saying that it was to contribute to the transformation of the aviation industry.

However, it later forwarded communications in which Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan ordered them to retract their initial statement.

Gordhan told Rapport that the allegations were so serious and Denel’s conduct so questionable that he had immediately ordered the newly appointed board to begin an investigation.

ponder

Honorary Master
Maybe they launched one while we were not looking. I have no idea. The only cadet program I'm aware of is the SAA. Does the AF still recruit students?
I think SAA scrapped their cadet program due to costs & failure rate. SAAF I think outsourced their cadet training to zimbo instructors. SAAF lowered their entry requirements, let candidates fail multiple attempts to push the aa thing. One of those that failed multiple times died in a crash and Lekota that was in charge at the time suggested it was due racists instructors while those that knew the guy said he simply did not have the aptitude and was a aa statistic trying to push a person that should never have been there in the first place. SAAF took in quite a lot of candidates every year to train even though they never needed them but with the intention of releasing them to the private sector, thing is to get your CPL costs a schiteload of money and to fly for an airline you need a atpl with 1500hrs (minimum) but many airlines will only consider you with 3000hrs. To get to those type of hours costs mega bucks.

I think denel was probably paying for private tuition.

Last edited:

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I think SAA scrapped their cadet program due to costs & failure rate. SAAF I think outsourced their cadet training to zimbo instructors. SAAF lowered their entry requirements, let candidates fail multiple attempts to push the aa thing. One of those that failed multiple times died in a crash and Lekota that was in charge at the time suggested it was due racists instructors while those that knew the guy said he simply did not have the aptitude and was a aa statistic trying to push a person that should never have been there in the first place. SAAF took in quite a lot of candidates every year to train even though they never needed them but with the intention of releasing them to the private sector, thing is to get your CPL costs a schiteload of money and to fly for an airline you need a atpl with 1500hrs (minimum) but many airlines will only consider you with 3000hrs. To get to those type of hours costs mega bucks.

I think denel was probably paying for private tuition.
Was under the impression both SAA and SAAF cadet programs are still active.

ponder

Honorary Master
Was under the impression both SAA and SAAF cadet programs are still active.
Might very well have been reinstated, my recollection is from quite a few years ago so things could have changed. I'll do some googling tomorrow.

infscrtyrisk

Expert Member
This just illustrates that what many were saying about CR being wealthy and therefore would not steal. is total bollocks. Supra earns a pretty good salary, yet he still steals from the poor.

Lord Farquart

Expert Member
This just illustrates that what many were saying about CR being wealthy and therefore would not steal. is total bollocks. Supra earns a pretty good salary, yet he still steals from the poor.
It is part of the ANC Manifesto. To not steal would go against the wishes of the ANC.

ForceFate

Honorary Master
I always thought that bursary was for people that are excellent but could not afford studies?!

This is simply wrong on so many levels!
Nope, bursaries are for anyone meeting requirements laid out. Others list socioeconomic background as part of the selection criteria while others don't.

Question in this instance is whether Denel offers bursaries for flight school studies

Last edited:

konfab

Honorary Master
Nope, bursaries are for anyone meeting requirements laid out. Others list socioeconomic background as part of the selection criteria while others don't.
Most bursaries from the guavament are catered towards financially needy people. The fact that he applied for it in the first place shows what scum they are.

Gordon_R

Expert Member
http://ewn.co.za/2018/05/15/denel-investigating-ntshepe-s-role-in-r1m-bursary-for-mahumapelo-s-son

In the wake of Tuesday’s resignation of Denel CEO Zwelakhe Ntshepe, the state defence company has confirmed it’s investigating his role in the awarding of a bursary to North West Premier Supra Mahumapelo’s son.

The Denel board appointed a special investigator after it emerged that Ntshepe was implicated in the awarding of the R1 million pilot training bursary.

The parastatal announced on Tuesday that he’s stepped down from office with immediate effect, just six months into the job.

Denel spokesperson Vuyelwa Qinga says Ntshepe was made to answer questions about his role in the debacle.

“I can confirm that the board of Denel has instituted an investigation into the issues with regards to the pilot bursary for the son of the North West premier. An investigation is underway by independent investigators.”