ANC premier’s son gets R1.1-million bursary

dunkyd

Expert Member
..and slightly OT, I hope Wim de Klerk gets the job at Denel permanently....
This country needs Pale Males desperately....

Daruk

Honorary Master
Is it one of those instances where fact do not matter?
You have facts other than another well connected and wealthy politician is given something by an SOE? If so, feel free to offer it. Until then, this appears to be a clear case of corruption. Regardless, nobody is guilty until proved so by a court of law but that’s not going to stop speculation.

j4ck455

Executive Member
fin24 said:
Denel has terminated the employment of previous Group Chief Financial Officer Odwa Mhlwana with immediate effect after he was found guilty of all disciplinary charges relating to irregular expenditure and failing to act in the best interests of the company, Denel said on Friday.
Were all of those disciplinary charges related to the irregular bursary scandal, or were there other even more serious charges that resulted in Denel's current financial crisis?

thechamp

Honorary Master
You have facts other than another well connected and wealthy politician is given something by an SOE? If so, feel free to offer it. Until then, this appears to be a clear case of corruption. Regardless, nobody is guilty until proved so by a court of law but that’s not going to stop speculation.
It does does not mean that Mahumapelo's son is not capable of being the best because his father is a dodgy politician, the deal might have been a corrupt one for all we know, but that does not say anything about the competence of Mahumapelo Jr, which is what I was questioning, being the best in what you do and your father being a corrupt politician are not mutually exclusive, in that post the poster implied that Mahumapelo was not the best, I asked for anything that indicates that he is not the best candidate, I never said he was the best so I don't have to give you any facts.

ponder

Honorary Master
It does does not mean that Mahumapelo's son is not capable of being the best because his father is a dodgy politician, the deal might have been a corrupt one for all we know, but that does not say anything about the competence of Mahumapelo Jr, which is what I was questioning, being the best in what you do and your father being a corrupt politician are not mutually exclusive, in that post the poster implied that Mahumapelo was not the best, I asked for anything that indicates that he is not the best candidate, I never said he was the best so I don't have to give you any facts.
The bursary was not above board, the son was the beneficiary of corruption. Who cares whether he was the best or not, how many candidates did they pick from?

thechamp

Honorary Master
The bursary was not above board, the son was the beneficiary of corruption. Who cares whether he was the best or not, how many candidates did they pick from?
You are allowed not to care whether he is the best or not, obviously the poster I was responding to cared enough to imply that he wasn't and I cared enough to point it to him that it is not necessarily the case, further than that I don't have any idea why you are telling me that the bursary was not above board and the son was a beneficiary of corruption.

Daruk

Honorary Master
My point is it's nothing to do with the issue. Government ministers should not be accepting "gifts", end of. I don't care if he's the best or not, they can afford to pay like the rest of us, it's those who can't pay who should be considered for bursaries, provided they show promise. I know - we don't live in a perfect world.

Sl8er

Executive Member
You are allowed not to care whether he is the best or not, obviously the poster I was responding to cared enough to imply that he wasn't and I cared enough to point it to him that it is not necessarily the case, further than that I don't have any idea why you are telling me that the bursary was not above board and the son was a beneficiary of corruption.
Kinda' funny watching your spin crash and burn spectacularly...but kudos to you for sticking by it -no matter the hilarious level of cringe.
:ROFL::thumbsup:

schumi

Honorary Master
Denel confirms it cancelled pilot bursary for Mahumapelo's son

Johannesburg - Denel confirmed to MPs on Wednesday it had terminated a R1.1 million bursary agreement with Supra Mahumapelo Jr, the son of the former North West premier.
Briefing Parliament's portfolio committee on public enterprises, Denel board audit committee chair Talib Sadik said an investigation into the awarding of the bursary made several findings.
This included
More at: https://www.iol.co.za/news/politics...ed-pilot-bursary-for-mahumapelos-son-18390929

Post 73 seems to sort it out. The bursary was not above board.

I still don't understand why you feel you have to tell me that, I have never argued about the legality or whether or not the bursary was above board.
I still don't understand why you feel you have to tell me that, I have never argued about the legality or whether or not the bursary was above board.
I was just trying to be helpful, as you seemed to think it was 'not proven'.